Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I work for Griffin & Howe (www.griffinhowe.com), and thought this might be a good place to post: we're looking for two full time gunsmiths to join our team. We are based in Andover, New Jersey. Please see below for more details:

1) Metalsmith:
Must have 5+ years experience with metal work and machining – we need someone comfortable with forming, shaping and polishing steel and who is comfortable with hand operated shop tools such as drill presses, lathes and mills, pack saws, files and polishing stones.
Desired examples of specific knowledge would be barreling and chambering, milling and metal finishing including bluing and case hardening. CNC machining would be a bonus but not essential.
A background in gunsmithing is preferable but not required; we are willing to consider those coming from other industry backgrounds with relevant experience and transferrable skills, but must have a passion for firearms.
Please note we are looking for someone who has experience with one-off parts manufacturing, not production.

Requirements:
• 5+ years of experience in metalwork and machining
• Willingness to build on current knowledge base
• Extreme attention to detail
• Ability to remain focused in dynamic environment

And 2) General Firearms Repair:
Must have 3+ years experience doing general firearms repair, be comfortable with firearms refinishing, and be qualified in shop skills such as soldering, welding and brazing, basic parts making, fitting and regulation.

Ideally familiar with a wide range of gun designs and has experience with a wide variety of American sporting arms. Experience with any double guns and over-unders a plus – particularly European double guns or Best guns such as Purdey or Boss. No AR-15s; armorers need not apply. Any experience in wood restoration, refinishing and repair would also be beneficial.

Requirements:
• 3+ years experience in firearms repair
• Willingness to build on current knowledge base
• Extreme attention to detail
• Ability to remain focused in dynamic environment

About Griffin & Howe:
Founded in 1923, Griffin & Howe is recognized worldwide as purveyors of the finest guns, with a team of dedicated craftsmen who offer expert repair, alterations and refurbishment at our 5,000 sq. ft. gunsmithing facility, as well as building our range of custom sporting rifles.
Open to the public at our Hudson Farm location in Andover NJ, we also offer a shooting, fishing and archery academy, import and export of firearms, and an on-site showroom featuring the finest firearms, clothing and accessories.
We are proud to offer a competitive salary based on level of experience, extensive medical and dental benefits as well as a Flexible Spending account and 401K with up to 6% employer match.

If you're interested, please forward your resume and a cover letter to [email protected]. Thanks!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Wow! So you're at the Hudson Farm in Andover. Look at that! You are in my own backyard, and I didn't even know it until I read this thread. I am going to have to stop by! :)

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
"Hey, do you want to be a gunsmith for a legendary rifle company?"
"Boy, do I."
"Do you meet the qualifications"
"I think so"
"Are you willing to live in New Jersey and give up all your rights to actually own and use guns?"
"..."
That would be a definite deal breaker for me, even if I was overly qualified for the job...

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
That would be a definite deal breaker for me, even if I was overly qualified for the job...
Absolutely! NJ is actually worse than CT especially when it comes to gun laws...only the connected and crims carry in NJ. Their taxes are some of the worse in the nation; yet they have some of the nicest shoreline/beaches in the area....I weighed the lousy laws and nice shores and say, No Thank You!

Reactions: ChaZam
1 - 9 of 9 Posts