Gun and Game Forum banner

History on Rockola M1 Carbine

9K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  oldjarhead 
#1 · (Edited)
I just picked up a M1 Carbine by Rock ola. I had previous carbines but after years of buying, lost most my good firearms during a 2 1/2 year divorce. Now with no one around to say yes of no, I am re-inventing my life. So, I bought a Rock ola from someone I work with who has had it for a while, was his dads. I am trying to find out more info on it. I used to buy M1 carbines from a huge box of carbines, your choice $90 at the local gun show. Now I paid a grand because it was so nice and I have been watching prices go up consistantly. Heres what I saw when I bought. Serial number in the 4625--- range, serial number on nice redish stock, I believe it has the name of Trimble TN under the sling by the oiler. Has a couple of cartouses on the stock a horseshoe with two dots. Firing pin is either NL-NI-N1, Extrac. WI, bolt SG, Hammer AMB, charge handle SG, Selec. EI which was stamped over some kinda of semi cirle, Trig SG, Barrel is Rockola but no date but says N.A. Co. Ridgefield NJ, Frnt site R1A, Barrel band JMO or JMQ, Bayo lug EM-Q, by Rock ola on the muzzle end of barrel is a "O", Mag release is sideways M over a small AD, There is also a U1 or O1 stamped under the pistol grip. The sling snaps say "KLIKIT PULL " with a small star. The gas piston system under the barrel is also marked Rock ola.

OK, so I trust you guys can help me out, trying to peace together a little history. I know W is winchester and I think SG is Saganaw, The NA co, Ridgefield NJ rolled on the barrel is interesteing to me. I am hoping that I have a nice well made rifle. I did a complete disasembly of the trigger group and mag release/ safety parts and they were covered in the normal rusty looking grease, but the parts cleaned up and were in great shape. No trip to the range yet, but ammo buy is in the future. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance and I hope this made you put on your thinking caps.

See less See more
#2 ·
Welcome from the Texas Gulf Coast. If you post your rifle questions in that forum it will get more people looking at it. You can just copy and paste what you typed above.

#4 ·
Welcome to the Forum, maxdog.

I'm no M-1 Carbine expert -- I am now paying for a civilianized mixmaster Plainfield Machine carbine, which is the only reason I can afford it -- but if I'm not mistaken, the Rock-Olas are the rarest of M-1 Carbines. I don't know how many parts they made themselves, but offhand I think you got a good deal.

You might enjoy reading these:

Rock-Ola M1 Carbine

A little history of Rock-Ola and its Carbines. : Rock-Ola

#8 ·
Umm well I love my Rock-Ola M1. But they are not the "rarest" M1. I think they are one of the most well made M1 Carbines. But the rarest of the WWII M1 Carbines is generally thought to be the all original M1A1 Paratrooper model made by Inland with the folding stock. The Irwin-Petersen Model considered the rarest of the regular M1 Carbine that a collecter can hope to find. The Commerical Controls M1 Carbine being so rare that one cannot expect to find one in a normal market.

#9 ·
TN= Trimble Nursury Furnature
ABM= IBM (possibly by Art Metal)
EMQ/JMQ= Endicott Machine and J.M. Mueller
NI/NL= National Postal Meter
EI= Eaton Pond (I'd have to see a pic to tell you more)
RIA= Rock Island Arsenal (Not Rock Island Armory)
WI= Wadsworth Watch for Inland
SG= Saginaw Saginaw Mi. (S'G' = Saginaw Grand Rapids)
.U.= Underwood. Probably a rebuild mark if it is located on the left side below the comb.
The M on the mag catch means that it is a later "modified" design. I don't know who the AD is, but it is likely a late WWII replacement part.
HTH

#10 ·
BTW, I collect rare carbines. To me, IPs are too common to bother with. I like the lineouts and rare variants like UNQUALITY and Inland X suffix. You know.....the stuff with 900 to 10,000 production numbers.

#12 · (Edited)
To find a history of your particular carbine will be near impossible...record keeping on weaponry during the carbine's hay-day was not the best...if any at all. You will never know the who, what, and where but you can find solace in knowing the little old guy has been through hell but has now found a good home.

Enjoy it, it has alot of fun for you to experience.

And yes, except for the extreme collector, Rockolas are rare and the most desireable of the mass produced carbines.
Congrats!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.