Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aww man, had this huge post on one of the other threads and it was too old to post anymore. So any women still post here?

So yeah, I'm a chick, new to shooting. Started this year with a Savage MKII bolt action .22, picked up a heritage rough rider .22 about a month later, then a Maverick 88 12ga tactical shotty. I guess I needed something to offset shoe shopping :wink1:.

I think Santa's elf is getting me a 30-30 lever action for X-Mas, which is good as the elf is getting a Henry lever action for X-mas and I won't need to fly solo at the range anymore, yay. Anyway, I am loving shooting, did really well at trap and need to get into that, and next year, hopefully I will be good enough to do some deer hunting.

On a non-gun note, I am also making a few bows, an english longbow and native american style bow this year as well. I am a horrible archer at the moment, but it is fun making these things, strings and arrows on up.

Peace out,

LaMorte

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,760 Posts
Welcome to G&G.
Not sure what "GIOLS" is.
Must be one of those funny sounding, Chedderhead words.
Eh!

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,392 Posts
LaMorte, welcome to the Forum. We have a number of lady members.

SuckLead works in a gun shop in North Carolina.

Wyldcat lives in Australia and doesn't post as often as she used to, but she's still here.

BunnyWabbit hasn't posted much lately, but I think her online business is keeping her busy -- at least, I hope it is, because that means she's making money.

And CalifGirlinOK posts regularly here. She's married to SeabeeScotty, one of our resident gunsmiths.

You're not alone by any means.

·
Old man, No tact...
12,367 Posts
JetGirl also works in a gun shop....

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Hi LaMorte! Glad to hear you're not having to go solo at the range anymore. I used to have the same problem (for years!!) until I started working at the gun store. Now I have more shooting buddies on call than you can shake a stick at...but have realized that (of all things) I mostly prefer to go alone.
So much for me griping about it all these years! HA!
(Just proves the old saying; "Be careful what you wish for...you just may get it!") :D

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,760 Posts
Congrats,
That will be a excellent rifle!

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,601 Posts
Toss Mrs. Red Head in there, she's usually keeping her hubby, Ouch outa trouble here, LOL.

Haven't seen Miss Sharpshooter around for a long time. :(

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hello to you from Arizona.

I own two guns and am here to learn all I can. The people on this forum are great at offering advice.

I have a compound bow, but this guy saw me practicing with it at its pull weight of 55 pounds and decided a lady shouldn't practice with a pull like that and grabbed it and loosened the strings to the point where it barely works. One of these days I'll get it fixed.

Anyway, good to meet you. :)

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
this guy saw me practicing with it at its pull weight of 55 pounds and decided a lady shouldn't practice with a pull like that and grabbed it and loosened the strings to the point where it barely works.
Oh holy crap! That would have EXTREMELY much ticked me off!
Are you anywhere near Sierra Vista? If so, I'm 99.99% sure I can hook you up with someone who can "right" things for you. Most certainly at no charge.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Oh holy crap! That would have EXTREMELY much ticked me off!
Are you anywhere near Sierra Vista? If so, I'm 99.99% sure I can hook you up with someone who can "right" things for you. Most certainly at no charge.
Thanks, but I'm nowhere near Sierra Vista.

I got so angry (again!) thinking about it that I checked the internet, but the only archery place is the one where the jerk worked at the time. I called and spoke to the manager, and he's going to fix it at no charge today. The thing is, this happened some years ago and without having practiced, it'll be hard to get back to being able to pull that much of a load again. The place has changed hands since this happened.

Edited to add: This afternoon I bought a scale to adjust the string and learned how to do it myself.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hello to you from Arizona.
I have a compound bow, but this guy saw me practicing with it at its pull weight of 55 pounds and decided a lady shouldn't practice with a pull like that and grabbed it and loosened the strings to the point where it barely works. One of these days I'll get it fixed.
OMG I would have given him a compound enema for doing that. Major props for a 55 draw. The long bow I'm making is just 35, I think 40 would kill me right now.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Welcome ladies! Glad to see more join here, although I have not posted here in a long time..I need to get back on here more!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Toss Mrs. Red Head in there, she's usually keeping her hubby, Ouch outa trouble here, LOL.

Haven't seen Miss Sharpshooter around for a long time. :(
Yep Jerry, I'm around. Just too lazy to log Ouch out and myself in most of the time. We used to work off two comps but attrition has us down to one laptop at home. I spend a lot of time reading over his shoulder.....and trying to keep us both out of mischief. :)

So good to see the estrogen levels slowly increasing on G&G

Welcome to the forum LaMorte! I would love to see some of your bows. Ouch presented me with a cross bow last year for Christmas. I love archery and learned to draw on a small recurve bow way back in my teens...back in the dark ages....long ago....in a galaxy far far away.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Hello LaMorte. I sent you a P.M. about bows. I will be strolling over to my buddies house soon. Bout a mile away He has about 50 hedge(Osage Orange) trees down from a storm a year ago. Have you ever used this wood? Yet

1 - 20 of 20 Posts