Gun and Game Forum banner

HK 40

3K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SUBMOA 
#1 ·
Just got my (fairly new) HK vp40 back from the village smithy. Anyone here own or shoot one ?

#4 ·
Mine

Footwear Arm Hand Finger Material property
Handgun holster
Electronics Gadget Technology Electronic device
Firearm Gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

Texas EDC CCW, and I waffle between a Ventcore IWB and simply rugged Cuda depending on how deeply I need to conceal it that day.

I've put the normal backstrap on with the wider panels which seem to fit my hand.

Awesome gun--zero failures in between 500-1K through it. Like the ergo a great deal as well as the mag release.

#5 ·
Good looking gun Tex. I am looking for a holster now. Too much work to make one. I am looking at a Dara... Have any experience there ? Gonna be owb hip carry. I too like the release...becomes intuitive and quick right away.
When did you buy your vp ? The reason I ask is that I got 4 free mags with their Magazinepalooza promo.

#7 · (Edited)
Good looking gun Tex. I am looking for a holster now. Too much work to make one. I am looking at a Dara... Have any experience there ? Gonna be owb hip carry. I too like the release...becomes intuitive and quick right away.
When did you buy your vp ? The reason I ask is that I got 4 free mags with their Magazinepalooza promo.
That's great and a good deal for ya (HK mags seem to be pricey)--bought mine a fair bit ago from Grabagun in Coppell (came with 3 mags and got the night sight version).

The IWB is a ventcore which is about as good as IWBs get for me at least (it's fairly comfortable but I don't really like IWBs that much--but they do deep conceal well--so I use it when I absolutely must not print).

I really like the Simply Rugged stuff for OWBs and have their pancakes as well as Cudas for the autoloaders. Use their belts alot--when I'm not in a uniform I'd say that's pretty much the only belts I wear these days (the Simply Rugged ones--FWIW they've gotten a zillion miles on them). I like the feel of leather and how it has some give to it. Their stuff isn't cheap but wears very well, carries well, and looks good.

Most of mine were made for the gun (they make one for the VP-40; you ask for the VP-9 and specify that it's for a VP-40 on the notes section). Sorry but I don't have any experience with Dara but I have liked the simply rugged rigs. I did find for THIS gun that I could 'recycle' the one which I used for the USP compact (which I sold to a friend--just couldn't get used to the LEM module on the trigger of the USP which had a bunch of nice take up right before a sharp stage--in contrast the VP's one is excellent though).

Good luck ! Think you'll really enjoy it.

EDIT: Here's a pic from another thread--the one on trail guns--of the simply rugged pancake OWB (their Cuda is similar). It gives a slight forward cant and for me wears very comfortably strong side draw--concealing with some type of outer garment fairly well so long as it's loose enough.

Handgun holster

#10 ·
Yeah--know what ya mean. Getting a holster that carries just right is tricky. And it's largely a matter of trial and error.

That's why I've stuck with what works for me and a common brand for OWB carry. I have some kydex ones for range work, but nothing to me carries like the flex of leather on an OWB. Can't always use them due to concealment and printing but that's what I like the best.

#11 ·
I have about all my Dads leather tools from the 1950's. I have made numerous holster and knife sheaths, but I find that after starting a project I tend to escalate the project. But I just might build one for the VP. This time with about 7 or 8 wght leather and 3 or 4 wght backing. Still thinking on exactly how it will connect to the belt, as this is one of the more critical points that seem to dictate if one is going to be consistently worn with comfort. Would be dyed, polished and real double stitch. Now to just convince myself to separate the time....

#12 ·
Two prior projects:
Note that they are both lined with smooth side in. The knife sheath is fine, but with the .380 holster I used 10 wght leather on the outside. A little too bulky and harder to work. I will post the remake when I get a photo. I left the cant at 15 deg. but lowered the holster on the belt. Will show in photos.
Scabbard Brown Leather Maroon Knife
Leather Brown Tan Wallet Fashion accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.