hk contract rifle

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by 7mmag6, Aug 27, 2002.

1. 7mmag6

7mmag6 Guest

SOG has CETME contract hk g3' for 299 bucks, sounds like a deal to me, however what kind of quality can I expect, anyone here have an idea?

2. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I strongly doubt it was made by HK. The G3 and CETME are similar, but not quite the same guns. Quality varies amongst the CETMEs a lot. Some are as nice as HKs, some are pretty rough. My advice is to carefully inspect and handle the firearm before purchase. The ones with wooden stocks look real nice. If the rifle was assembled properly, it should make a good shooter in .308. Note: This type of rifle is pretty hard on brass.

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

The CETME is NOT an HK contract rifle, rather it's the one HK designed the G3 from. I agree, inspect in person and make sure the warranty's intact.

4. Klaus

Klaus Guest

Actually, the CETME was designed by the engineers who later formed H&K. It was the upgraded version of the StG 44. After WW2 many engineers for rocketry, aircraft, and firearms left Germany because they were banned from working in their fields. The assault rifle people mostly went to Spain, where they created the CETME. Once they were able to, they moved back to Germany and formed H&K. Then they had to, ironically, license their own design from Spain.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2002
  5. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

7mm, the guy next door bought one last week and it's pretty nice for the money. Klaus is right about these things being hard on brass. They fluted the chambers for easy extraction and they leave longitudal dings in the brass. Outside of that, they are really pretty nice. Wood looks good and he said it shot very well. I've kinda been thinking I may take another trip to Lebanon, OH to pick one up next pay. :)

6. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Thanks for the info, Klaus.

7. 7mmag6

7mmag6 Guest

whoa, you guys never cease to amaze me, i thought the CETME rifle was a contract rifle from HK, as a license to build the G3 in other countries, take a look at SOG website and you will see the CETME rifle Im considering, looks like good quality furniture, Im in the boonies of new mexico and have never even seen this rifle, before, of course you need an ffl but a friend has one and lets me use it, i have a birthday coming up , looks like a good birthday present to me