Gun and Game Forum banner

HK45.... opinions....

6K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  minkowski1552 
#1 ·
I'm looking for opinions relative to the H&K HK45, if you've fired one, or handled one. If you have multiple 1911's and have fired an HK45, I'd be very interested in what you have to say.

#2 ·
Just going on what I know about your grip preferences, I think you'll find that the one with the flat grips will feel a tad "Glock-ish" (but thinner) to you. I bet you'd like the ones with the finger grooves more, though.
Just speculating...

P.S.
Here's what I mean...
Flat:

Grooved;

#3 ·
I think it has a lot of good 1911 features, but it's not a 1911 and doesn't really feel like one to me.

I'm a 1911 addict as well, but I think my H&K is the finest handgun in my arsenal (including 5 1911's, an HK Mk23, M&P 9mm, 2 glaocks, 2 XDm's - which run a close 2nd)

#4 · (Edited)
My experience with the HK45 is with my friends gun with the LEM trigger. For comparison purposes I have owned two 1911's and an HK USP compact .45 before.

The HK45 does not require you to have the mega long fingers like the older full sized USP or MK23 did. (although if you get the DA/SA trigger it helps to have longer fingers) It's grip is thicker but nothing extreme. I like that it runs perfectly right out of the box. The HK LEM trigger is a longer but smooth trigger press sort of like a smoother double action revolver trigger but lighter and more consistent.

The HK Traditional double/single action trigger which I had on my HK USP Compact .45 are very heavy on the initial shot in double action. More so than with the double action on a DA/SA Sig pistol.

I didn't like the HK DA/SA and if I ever got another HK handgun it will be an LEM trigger. I don't think you can really compare the HK pistol to a 1911 though.

I do like that the HK45 is fully ambidextrous. With the magazine release and the slide lock lever can be mounted on either side or both sides at the same time. And it comes with different size back straps. And the mags by default hold 10 rounds. I have small hands while the HK45 is a big gun like I said earlier, I think it is just what they say it is, an improved version of the USP, and despite my small hands it works just fine with the medium back straps installed. If you do get a DA/SA the new location of the decocker is a small button on the left side of the hammer on the rear of the slide. You can hit it with either thumb. I sort of liked the older style were it was built into the safety but it's not a deal breaker.

The gun has always been flawless for both me and my friend who owns it and that includes running both unsuppressed and suppressed with an AAC TiRant 45 suppressor.

Really the only two gripes I can think about it is that due to laws in Europe with tritium, you can't get tritium night sights on it, you have to get after market ones if you dont like the nova-whatever it's called glow in the dark painted ones that come on the gun.

That and getting replacement parts from HK can be a pain in the butt and their magazines are expensive! Not that the gun is prone to breaking regardless but I wish HK was not so anal about their parts distribution.

While I have never had first had experience with their customer service HK is sort of known as being arrogant about their product and they sort of don't like their civilian/non government side of sales I don't think. :shrugs:

But the other side of that coin is that, their stuff just works... and works.... and works....

I also carry an HK long gun at work and that poor gun sure has been passed around and abused but it never fails.

#7 ·
I've read up on the DA/SA and the LEM trigger. If you have time, I'd like you to explain the differences to me. I guess, I"m just not getting the concept.

Thanks

#8 · (Edited)
I've read up on the DA/SA and the LEM trigger. If you have time, I'd like you to explain the differences to me. I guess, I"m just not getting the concept.

Thanks

DA/SA

Heavier longer trigger press on first shot. Usually 12-10lbs for example depending on manufacturer. This is "double action" Hammer starts from fully de cocked position. Just like a revolver in double action.

After the first shot the slide will re cock the trigger to single action with the hammer pulled back, a much lighter trigger press is required like 3-5lbs for example. And the trigger is already partially pulled back. Single action.

LEM trigger.

The trigger requires the same amount of force to use every shot all the time. Sort of like a glock. However the travel distance it has to move is longer like a trigger in DA mode. But it is a much lighter and smoother trigger press that requires a consistent level of force or pull weight the entire way through. The trigger pull weight is somewhere between a standard DA and SA trigger. HK Makes two different LEM triggers with different weights. One is consistently around 4.5 to5 lbs and the other is about 7.5-8lbs.

Like a very smooth and consistent double action revolver trigger with a very small break point just before the gun goes off.

Best way i can describe it in simple terms.

#9 ·
Thank you. Now... question... can you carry it "cocked and locked", like a 1911? Second question... if you can carry it cocked and locked, and you snick the safety off, is there a danger of going too far with the safety lever, and de-cocking the gun?

#10 ·
Thank you. Now... question... can you carry it "cocked and locked", like a 1911?
With an LEM trigger, No. There is no safety and no decocker. It is just the trigger. Again, like a glock or Springfield XD. Proper muzzle discipline and trigger control (finger off trigger until ready to shoot) acts as your safety.

But unlike the glock or XD the amount of force required to press the trigger is higher depending on which LEM trigger you get and the length of pull for the trigger is longer. It was designed to be a quick and simple combat trigger. Draw, aim, shoot. No more no less. No extra levers to have to remember to use under stress. Even with a DA/SA pistol with a decocker like on a SIG or Beretta M9, lots of times even trained people will forget to decock after their string of fire and then they either move or try to reholster with the gun still in SA mode which is very dangerous. Like re holstering a 1911 without flipping the safety back on.

Second question... if you can carry it cocked and locked, and you snick the safety off, is there a danger of going too far with the safety lever, and de-cocking the gun?
No, you have to move the safety in the opposite direction to de-cock.

Only HK pistols that are DA/SA will have manual safety levers and de-cockers. There are two different styles.

On the older HK pistols, such as the older MK23, or the USP or USP compact series the safety and decocker were built into the same lever. It was in the same position roughly as a 1911 on the left side of the gun with the rotational pin of the safety/decocker towards the rear of the gun.

So for example for a right handed shooter you would use your right thumb to move the safety lever UP just a little bit for safe and down to keep it level for fire Just like on a 1911 but with less distance to travel. The difference between the two was minimal and very fast to get into action and there was a very distinctive.... I wouldn't say "click" but you could definitely feel the difference when you dis/engaged the safety from the two positions. It snapped into place I guess you could say.

Now to de-cock the gun to get it from SA back to DA you would instead use your same thumb and press DOWN on it so the forward part of the same lever would sweep down and counter clockwise. This had to be a very deliberate move (deliberate does not mean hard). The travel distance of the lever you would have to press/sweep down to de-cock was about 2x-3x the distance than to move it up to safe and fire. And you had to use some measure of force (again not so much that it was a pain in the butt, but enough so that you would not accidentally de-cock when you didnt want to) to do it.

What is cool about the DA/SA HK pistols is that you can safely carry the gun in three different ways depending on personal preference.

1. De-cocked in DA, safety on
2. De-cocked in DA safety off (this was how I carried mine as the DA trigger is very heavy)
3. "Cocked and locked" in SA but with the safety on just like a 1911.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now on all of the newer model HK guns such as the P2000, P2000SK, P30, HK45, HK45C etc, for the guns that are DA/SA they will still have a safety similar to the older ones I just described. So basically a shorter travel 1911-esq type safety.

The difference being in the new models is that they moved the de-cocker to the rear of the slide just to the left of the hammer. As in it is right on the rear end plate of the slide that literally faces you as you aim your gun and look down the sights. It is a small button that you engage with your thumb.

It takes a little getting used too but after a trip to the range and a couple boxes of ammo you get used to it.

Again on the LEM HK guns there is no safety or de-cocker.

As for the LEM trigger it is usually one of those things that people love or hate. *shrugs. I like it personally but it is different and unique no doubt and if you ever get a chance to shoot one first to try out that would be what I recommend.

Now that I think about it I suppose it is sort of similar to a Ruger LCR trigger in a way but smoother. Not quite but you sorta get the idea maybe.

Hope that helps if you have any other questions ask away and I'll try to answer them. if you look on youtube for videos like "HK USP compact review" or "HK LEM trigger" you can probably find some viewable examples of how the safety/de-cocker/triggers work.

#11 ·
Looks like TACAV covered all the bases.

All I can add is out of ALL the .45 ACP pistols I have shot, the HK was the only one I never bought (Colt, Firestorm, Glock, Kimber, Para, Ruger, SIG, Smith & Wesson, Springfield, and Taurus).

I just did not like the feel of it when I shot it.

#12 ·
TACAV, thank you very much. Excellent post, and description. I'm leaning towards the DA/SA so that I can continue to carry as I've carried my 1911's over the years. Only problem is that I've yet to find one in a shop, for me to get hold of. The price doesn't put me off, but it's too much for me to spend without being able to check out the ergonomics of the gun. That gives me a good reason to frequent gun shows, and gun shops.

Thanks again, gents......

#13 ·
So for example for a right handed shooter you would use your right thumb to move the safety lever UP just a little bit for safe and down to keep it level for fire om the two positions. It snapped into place I guess you could say.

Now to de-cock the gun to get it from SA back to DA you would instead use your same thumb and press DOWN on it so the forward part of the same lever would sweep down and counter clockwise. This had to be a very deliberate move (deliberate does not mean hard).
Most excellent explanation!

#15 ·
The HK45 is the only .45 I would get if I were to get another .45. I still have my Colt m1911. Just my preference.
...and that's as it should be.

That's why I'm not buying a H&K HK45 until I'm able to get my hands on one. My hands dictate many of my preferences. :usa2:

#16 ·
FWIW I am a bit choosy on pistols.... and at one time, before Obamanomics got the best of my income I had planned on purchasing an HK45. My USP in .40 caliber was a bit of a dissapointment than one of my friends let me shoot his HK .45 and it was a tack driver. A bit blocky, but a great shooter. At the time I got the .40 version I was still a young guy and wanted the latest gun out there and one in a new caliber to boot.... Looking back I wish I had opted for a .45 version.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.