hodgdon announces new superformance powders

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by gamehunter, Aug 18, 2010.

1. gamehunter

gamehunter G&G Evangelist

2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Must be new since I see nothing on their website about it.

3. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Those are the proprietary powders they put in the superperformance ammo that gives an extra few hundred fps over other factory ammo with the same weight bullets. I didn't know they were going to make them available for handloaders. This could be interesting.

4. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

I was reading about Hornady ammo with some kind of new powder, maybe this was the stuff.

5. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

well I guess I will have to try it out! Wonder if it is gonna do well in the fat cartridges too?

6. Inthesouthwoods

Inthesouthwoods G&G Regular

I wonder how long it will be before we get any load data. Sounds interresting though. I'm with you RUM about the short mags.

7. gamehunter

it aint just the superformance powder becoming available but also leverevolution powder too so that will be a bonus for the levergun owners

8. Hornady has created there own super powders. They just have'nt released them to the public but probable will now.
    In a story I read named The 30-06 revisited, the story said because of newer High Tech blended powder's, these will turn a lot of calibers into even better calibers. Example ::: Because of the popularity of the 30-06 the new powder's and bullets will make it able to take all of north america's game. We'll see.
    Of course this applys to improveing other calibers to.

9. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

can't wait to try some in my .270. It loves speed.

10. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I load for the 06 based cartridges but my bread and butter is the Short and Fat guys and I hope the Superformance powder will kick cheeks! My 25-06 LOVES speed, the faster it goes the more accurate she gets, I wonder if this new powder is gonna help push my 25-06 into 257 WBY performance?

11. Inthesouthwoods

Inthesouthwoods G&G Regular

That leverevolution powder will be interresting in the smaller 22 cal. rounds also.

12. gamehunter

My overall view is that it is good that hornady has teamed up with hodgdon to do this it will give reloaders a better edge and more variety in powders they want to use, alot of people try to copy the performance of their favourite factory rounds with miserable results whereas with powders like this then they can recreate their favourite hornady loads.

13. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Evangelist

Hodgdon Announces New Super Powders

There's an article on it since it looks like it hasn't been posted. What I'm mostly interested in seeing is that they released the powder used in the leverevolution ammo.

14. gamehunter

In my initial post I supplied a link to the article :)

15. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

These are compound powders. By mixing two powders of a somewhat (slightly) different burn rate, they can essentially lengthen the pressure "curve" However, before anyone gets too excited. 10 years ago, I bought a single box of 165 grain Hornady "light magnum". The advertised speed was 2885. I assume this was from a 24 in test barrel. My chronograph averaged four three shot groups at 2780. I could exceed this with a powder I had on hand that was used in designing the 308 back in the 50s. It is a common powder. I will not list the load here, as it is now "out of the book" for some manuals, but is listed in my 20 year old manual. I worked up to it 1/3 gr per, watching for primer flattening and measuring cases.
    If anyone wants further info, pm me and I will send the info allong with the safety method used.

I am in no way saying that these powders won't/can't improve velocity, just that manufacturers, while not lying, do state the best case scenario from their very controllable test results. In any event, this certainly gives us a reason to get in the "powder room" and send some more rounds downrange.

Tom

16. DaTeacha

I think the article in American Rifleman a few months ago about the Hornady Superperformance ammo said that Hornady had worked with Hodgdon in the development of the powder for their new ammo. I'm too lazy to go look for it right now, though. The factory ammo may use a duplex load, but personally I doubt that any cannister powder for commercial sale will be so compounded.

Why do I think so? In the chance event that someone should buy the stuff and then let it sit a while in a vibration prone environment, there is a very remote possibility that the duplex mixture could settle and separate somewhat, depending on the density and shape of the flakes. That might lead to an extraordinarily remote chance of someone having their gun blow up and then suiing the powder manufacturer.

Aside from that unlikely event, don't forget the Moron Factor. If it was pretty obvious from looking at the stuff that it was indeed a duplex or triplex load, some moron would decide he could identify the two or three parts by looking at the flakes and then make his own, better version. Home brewed duplex and triplex loads, as we all know, are a spectacular event waiting to happen. Our hypothetical moron would probably end up dead, and everyone would speak sadly or perhaps bitterly of the guy, killed by that bad M.F. (Moron Factor)

17. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I think the Leverevolution powder will give a slight edge in performance in the 20 to 30 grain case range, I hope it will do good in the 7.62x39 as I have a bolt gun that will be fed a strict diet if so! I have hopes for the powder but probably because I have guns chambered in the new powders forte.

18. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

i figured the new super powders was so i could make my 257 roberts into a 25-06 and my 0-6 into a 300 win mag.
    not so the superfast could get faster.
    might be something there that will make my 7 mauser go faster than my 7 ackley.

19. DaTeacha

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see if the stuff does it's magic across the entire spectrum of cartridge sizes. I wonder what a 25 or 30 grain .204 or .17 bullet in a necked down .220 Swift case stuffed with super powder would do? Is 5000 fps the next holy grail of handloading?

Before we get nuts here, remember that the early .220 Swifts had problems with the barrels being ruined by overeager shooters. Have steels improved much since then, or will everyone messing with these powders start seeing increased barrel wear?