Hollow Points?

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting' started by Dallas rifleman, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Dallas rifleman

Dallas rifleman G&G Newbie

Does any one use hollow point bullets for deer if so are they any good

2. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

I used them once, 168 gr. HPBT, and they really messed up a lot of meat on Hill Country deer down by New Braunfels. They were however very accurate at the range.

3. Dallas rifleman

Ive seen a lot of tv shows were they use hollow points then again most tv shows are just trophy hunters

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    hollow points work just fine, stay away from the varmint and match bullets. secondly if you shoot them in the heart/lungs, you wont ruin any meat regardless of what bullet/caliber you choose.

5. Rex_Lee

Rex_Lee G&G Regular

I've used hollow points on deer. Like was mentioned above, shoot through the heart and lungs and you won't mess up any meat at all. Having said that, I prefer jacketed soft points for everything except varmint hunting and big thick skinned or heavy boned game .

6. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

dang... sorry I messed up and missed the heart and caught a bit of the shoulder on the way out the other side.

7. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Try head/neck shots...I don't hunt for trophy's, I ain't mounting squat on my wall, so I don't mind busting up their heads/necks.

Well, if I ever saw a 12-pointer or more, I'd have to consider a mount...:D

8. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

If you are shooting a bullet about half the size of a hand grenade it doesn't matter if it is a hollowpoint or not.

9. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Hell just use the hand grenade!

10. waterdog

waterdog G&G Enthusiast

My brother-inlawused them in his 30-30 and swore by them, I never noticed any "extra damage" longest shot was bout 135yrds, most were under 80yrds.

11. Dallas rifleman

Thanks guys the 2 bullets i wanted to hunt with were BTHP and BTSP but I cant find any boat tailed soft points in .311 diameter

12. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Prvi Partizan on grafs has 150 gr BTSP's for ya

13. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

14. If you use a .458 cal bullet you don't need a hollow point. :}

15. Dallas rifleman

Thanks a lot!!!! 338rum those bullets are amazing i will have to buy some!!!

16. I've killed a lot of deer and never saw a need to use hollow point's. I'm just corious why you would want to ? Am I missing out on something ?

17. I use to use Sierra 165gr HPBT,(non-match) bullets in my 03A3 till they quit making W785. Did a fine job killing deer.

18. stinkybriches

stinkybriches G&G Enthusiast

when i buy loaded ammo, which doesnt happen very much anymore, i buy fed fusion which has a HP for my .270 because my rifle likes them. but i use 140 btsp for reloading purposes as i can make a more accurate load. i know that either will anchor a white tail no sweat if i put one in the boiler room. ive never tried it but id guess the same could be said for the various balistic tipped bullets as well.

19. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Originally the hollowpoint bullet was designed to increase stability,not frangibility.A longer bullet can be made by moving the core in the front to the rear.Putting the weight in the rear andm a longer bullet for atmosphere to work on helps stability. ,,,Re: 1.24 Grain Hollow Point? ,,,sam.