Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I recently purchased a Ruger P95 DC, which I LOVE. I am having trouble finding a holster for it though. I am looking for two, actually,
1. an inexpensive hip holster for out on the range and
2. a reliable, well-made (reasonably priced) small-of-the-back holster for carry. (I'm a Private Investigator and I carry on the job... about the only LEGAL way to carry in IL!)
Any ideas from fellow P95 owners?

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,219 Posts
I got the Uncle Mikes....nice.

Don't like the plastic FOBUS holsters....ick.

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,219 Posts
Don't see why not...close to the same shape.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes, I have that combination and it does work. Not my first choice, but an effective and functional one that is relatively inexpensive.

I do use my Uncle Mike's size 15 Belt Slide holster in Mirage Nylon occasionally to carry my P95DC or my SR9. I use my High Noon SkinGuard OWB and High Noon Bare Asset IWB more, though. These are not custom either and not 'perfect', just another reasonably priced alternative that works well.

Will the Uncle Mikes work with a SR9 as well?
I'm sure you are probably already aware of this, but I will mention it as a reminder.

There are at least three legitimate reasons to consider as to why SOB may not be the preferred carry method:

1. it takes considerably longer to draw from concealment with an SOB holster - I have a nice SOB rig for my .380Auto, but I can't get my average draw/fire time from concealment down under 3 seconds using it. That's about a full second longer than my draw/fire from concealment on the hip - doesn't sound like much until you consider that it's 50% longer!

2. since it takes you longer to draw from SOB and it's a longer, more difficult reach, it's easier for an assailant in close quarters to prevent you from drawing at all! it's also possible that it may be easier for an assailant to separate you from your firearm - a nightmare scenario!

3. if you fall on your back, you may injure your spine, something far less likely with a holster worn almost anywhere else

Like I said, I have a nice SOB rig for my .380Auto that I really like, but due to the above factors, there are very limited situations that I use it in.

a reliable, well-made (reasonably priced) small-of-the-back holster for carry.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jay,
Thanks for the info on SOB carry. As a small framed woman, I'm finding conceal carry to be a difficult issue. SOB is a compromise, but I've got to weigh out if the "cons" to SOB carry would outweigh the "con" of poor concealment w/ other carry options... not sure yet what I've decided on that issue. I did check out the High Noon holsters and I like what they have. I'm considering one of their inside the waistband holsters as they are one of the few companies that offer them for p95's. Any opinions/experiences on SOB carry versus inside the waistband carry? Also, I've ordered one of the uncle mikes for "knock-about" time on the range. Of course when I'm doing "serious" practice I'll be using whatever concealment holster I choose so I get used to drawing and firing... a shtf situation wouldn't be a good time to see if I can draw and fire from my concealment holster! :)

·
Registered
159 Posts
I find that I can draw and fire from concealment just as quickly with my IWB holsters as with my OWB holsters. The difference is that OWB is usually a lot easier to re-holster the weapon. With IWB re-holstering can be a hassle. I find that OWB holsters are usually a little more comfortable, but IWB is easier to conceal with a wider variety of clothing.

You are very wise to practice with your carry rig! I'm told the goal is 1.5 seconds to draw and fire on target from concealment. I'm trying, but I can't seem to get below the 1.8 to 2.1 second range, on average. My draw and fire with the SOB holster was up around 3 seconds or more.

When you practice, be sure to draw and fire -from concealment-. People who practice without a cover garment are at a disadvantage when a real life situation occurs. Practice the way you are actually going to carry - holster, type of clothing (ie. concealed), everything the same as much as possible.

I heartily recommend a shot timer if you are in a position where your life may depend on how fast you can draw and put a round into an assailant.

Competition Electronics, Inc.

Westerner Speed Timers - Action Shooting Timing equipment

1 - 10 of 10 Posts