Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Smith & Wesson model 10-5 revolver in 1971, I carried as a backup gun I wore under my police shirt in shoulder holster. Holster worn out. I'm looking for a hip holster for it. I bought a Gun Mate holster for large frame pistol 4 to 5 inch barrel. Its too big. I'm looking for a holster. One at Walmart cost $9.99. Looking for holster in that price range. Must be light weight because I've had 5 lower back surgeries.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
434 Posts
I bought a Smith & Wesson model 10-5 revolver in 1971, I carried as a backup gun I wore under my police shirt in shoulder holster. Holster worn out. I'm looking for a hip holster for it. I bought a Gun Mate holster for large frame pistol 4 to 5 inch barrel. Its too big. I'm looking for a holster. One at Walmart cost $9.99. Looking for holster in that price range. Must be light weight because I've had 5 lower back surgeries.
I say buy the $10 WalMart holster. That is a great price. It is a plastic holster?

I have a few extra holsters for a K-frame that are Bravier Brothers, Hayes, Uncle Mikes, and Blackhawk. All are good but $25-$35.

Here is my one-owner 1973 S&W model 10-5 4":

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,195 Posts
I think I know what Wally World holster you might be talking about. They are not horrible. For 10-15 bucks that’s about as good as you can get.

·
Premium Member
Winchester, Colt 1911, S&W revolvers
434 Posts
Mine is a 2" snubby. I bought it new in the box. Would it be considered a large frame. Its been a safe queen all these years. Bet I haven't shot 20 rounds through it.
Nice gun no doubt.

Your 1971 K-frame Model 10 2" with only 20 rounds is of a great value. The D4xxxxxx should match the gun as well as the stocks? The stocks will match the serial number.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Cutting mat Font Auto part Bicycle part Fashion accessory
I know you are loo
Gesture Eyelash Snout Thigh Human leg
Eye Human body Ear Eyelash Wood
king for cheap but you only need one for life. This one is $29.99 Ebay. This one is $31.50 and you can order specifically for the 2 inch.Guide Gear Leather 4-Position Holster, S&W K-Frame, Right Handed - 707600, Fitted Holsters at Sportsman's Guide (sportsmansguide.com)
I have this second model for my PPKs and another for a large frame double stack 9mm. They fit 4 ways and really good quality. My bigger one fits the 1911, Ruger model 95, CZ 75, and other large frame semi autos., Best cheap leather holster out there.

I like them so much I just ordered a third one to fit my SW model 60 which I like to carry crossdraw in my truck and on the 4 x 4.

Nice gun your model 10 two inch. Lots of officers carried them out here in Texas and Oklahoma as a backup or off duty gun.

One last issue. If you look on the holster wizard and similar sites be aware that the K frame 2 inch barrel guns with adjustable sights are a little bigger, while they are both K frames, the fixed sight guns like yours may wobble a little in them, so try to find one specifically for a model 10. If you get one with the thumb snap that usually fixes the issue.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have an Azula leather hip holster for my 64-5 the same size as your pistol. It's a bit more expensive but quite light for a good leather holster. Made in America too.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Since I'm not a revolver person. Whats the difference between a K frame and and a large frame revolver?
IN the Smith and Wesson line today, the little 5 shot guns are the J frame and have been most of our lives, there is another the I frame a litle smaller but no longer made. The middle size revolvers are the 6 shot 38 and 357 size guns like the model 10, 15 , 19, 65, 66 and others. Th e bigger guns are the N frame usually the 44 mags and 45 Colts. The L frame is just a little bit bigger than the K frame to allow for firing lots and lots of hot 357 mags. The X frame is the monster .guns and there are some variations, but that is the norm.

38 J frame 5 shot

38/357 full size K frame 6 shot

L frame 6 or 7 shot 357 and others

44 mag N frame big ones. 6 shot

X frame 500 SW magnum and 460 magnum
Confusing?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've been on net and holsters advertised (Gun Mate) refer to large frame to small frame. Havn't run across any advertised k frame. I've had it my gun safe for 5 decades now.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
The K frame is referred to as the "mid-size" gun in the revolver lineup. But as I said above, many holsters have extra room in them for the adjustable sights on the model 14, 15, 19, and 66. So. depending on how yo.ur carry it that might matter.

Here is a interesting quote from Wicki"
"As of 2012 the Model 10 was available only in a 4-inch barrel model, as was its stainless steel (Inox) counterpart, the Smith & Wesson Model 64.[13] Some 6,000,000 M&P revolvers have been produced over the years, making it the most popular handgun of the 20th century.[14]

You were asking about the size of the guns, a comparison of weight might give an ideal.
J frame 3 inch model 60 357 magnum 5 shot about 23.2 ounces
K frame 2.75 inch model 66 357 magnum 6 shot about 33.5oounces,
L frame 3 inch
N frame model 629 44 magnum 6 39.ounces
X frame This is the big boy---
Barrel Length 3.5" (8.9 cm)
Weight 56.2 oz.

Model 36 2 inch 5 shot 38 special 19.5 ounces Model 637 aluminum frame 15 ounces
Model 10 2 inch 6 shot 38, your gun weighs about 30 ounces and was high;y desirable for the ability to fire 6 plus P ammo as a back up gun.
Revolvers | Smith & Wesson (smith-wesson.com)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Retired freedom fighter this is her top left. View attachment 167843
Air gun Shotgun Knife Everyday carry Revolver
Love that broom handle. That gun and a couple of speed loaders and some Plus P ammo and I am pretty well armed. Like I said the 2 inch was highly desirable when I was a young officer the 70s. They were hard to find.

I have collected some SW revolvers over the years. The second from the right is a nickel model 19 that I carried in a small town in 1976-79 time frame. The second from the left is a stainless model 65 that I carried even before then. I actuallty carried it as a second gun when I was in MP, not exactly legal but it was along with my 1911 in case I need more rounds. Never fired it on the job. It came as a square butt, but after I left law enforcement I rounded the But with a hack saw and some files. I like to carry it cross draw also. The first one on the left is a 2.5 inch model 66, a really nice gun that the officer before me put a really nice trigger and tune job on. Love those Smith and Wessons. If you could only own one handgun period a 357 Smith and Wesson would be among the best choices you could make. Like your model 10, they will be here and working forever.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I became a young officer in 1971 after being the victim of a burglary and did it for 22 years and retired after back surgery #4. before that I was 45B20 small arms reparman in the army.
I do not think I could be an officer in the world today. The quality of the bad guys was much higher in our day. Today, they run in herds and behave like idiots. Some guy with 2 unpaid parking tickets will shoot you in the face or run 120 mph down the road. They may have 2 toddlers in car seats, and still try to run in a Honda with 102 horsepower. And they have no qualms about sucker punching an 88 year old lady to steal her purse. And there are large numbers who will spit in your coffee if you go through a drive through. And if you respond to a death threat, your biggest risk is the DA, not the 40 year old thug with the gun and no job and 40 prior arrests. I doubt I could survive very long on the job today. They needed guys like us back then, today they need even better guys.

Most of my life I have pushed kids and grand kids to go into the military and then law enforcement, a path I took with zero regrets. Two grandsons graduated high school this year. First time ever, I did not push them in those directions.

End of rant.

Reactions: TXplt

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
In 1974 I got into the fastest chase in my career. On I-20 out of Atlanta I picked up a car doing maybe 70 mph and went to pull it over and he took off. At the time we were having women kidnapped from a mall and murdered. That was on my mind when he took off. I got up to 136 mph and he was still walking away from me. 17 minutes as hard as a chase goes. He finally wrecked on some rail road tracks on a rural road. Driver 16 years old, passengers 15 and 12. They had stolen the 1973 442 Oldsmobile. Got a article in Atlanta news paper on that one. Hqs had reel to reel tape and recorded chase. Tape old and made a squeling sound. Radio made me a cassette tape of the chase. I was car #83. I let folks listen to tape and they asked me what that squeling sound was and would tell them not to worry its was just my butt sucking up car seat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts