Home Break-in's: HOW? WHEN? and WHY?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by lorcin25, May 6, 2008.

1. lorcin25

lorcin25 Guest

We have posted many times on here about "What I have under my bed for the big bad guy who comes to take my wife, kids, and money".

My question though is this: What is typical for the attacker? Do they typically come in pairs or gangs of 3 or more? Do they use shotguns or .22's? Do they usually have a plan of attack or just burst in with guns blazing? Do they come in at night or during the day? (These are just "off the top of my head" questions to get your thoughts going)

I am just curious as to how attacks happen and what to expect if one were to occur on my home turf. Have there been any studies out on this? Obviously all attacks are unique but I am sure there is a common denominator somewhere.

(My wife knows a Youth Pastor in NC that had his home broken into a few years back. There were 2 guys. One held his wife and children hostage while the other made him drive to several atm's and withdraw money. Any errors or attempts to call 911 and the attacker said he would kill the wife and kids. They lost a chunk of money, but the family was spared. As far as we know, they never caught the perps.)

2. Pred

Pred Guest

Most are smash and grabs. They come through a window or door, take whatever they see in the open, and get out as quickly as possible. My first bit of advice would be to get a dog, even a small one. Any sound and that dog will be barking it's head off. The truth is, as gas goes up, more people lose their jobs, they will at some point resort to this in order, if nothing else, to survive. Make sure to keep your windows locked. Putting up some sort of barricade at night is not always a bad thing. That extra "kick" to knock down the door may be just enough time to grab your gun. Most of time they don't want trouble. I know that sounds funny but it's true. They don't want to get caught, don't want an armed homeowner in their face, or want to do time for assault or murder.

3. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

It's impossible to say. For an invasion, there's a good chance it'll be more than 1, and you'll need decisive force to deal with the situation. Some "pros" might try cutting the phone lines as well -- the cell will still work though. The bad news is in a home invasion, unlike a simple burglary, they're more apt to do you and your loved ones harm.

Fast access safes (located strategically in your house where you'll normally be) with pistols at the ready are a good idea. This way, they're kept safely away from young children, and guests in the house (whether invited or not) while still being ready for home defense at a moment's notice. The good news is that with armed resistance, often the attackers will abandon their quest.

NRA-ILA :: Armed Citizen

(type in invasion in the search field)

The Taurus Judge 3" bbl (2.5 or 3" chamber) loaded with buck and .45 colt might be good for such a situation, as would any 4"bbl .357 or better. Shotguns even better; however, these are more difficult to secure.

4. Firm believer of a Sig Sauer P229 Equinox and a Benelli M2 Tactical.

... got the dog and cell phone too, not to mention, live in a neighborhood full of Police.

Feeling pretty safe here.

5. Pred

Pred Guest

Trigger locks and guns in safes are a criminals best friend. If you have kids, keep it well within your reach but out of your kids. I've got a Sig P220 and a Mossberg 590 folder within reach when laying in bed. They better hope to god they get to me before I get to them. When seconds matter, the police or only minutes away.

6. TXplt

You can get into a fast access safe almost as quickly as you can get your shotgun into action. Literally couple of seconds. Some have fingerprint opening. For us, with kids who haven't gotten to the stage where they can be trained with firearms, it's pretty far on the "good" side of the risk benefit curve. It's quite a bit quicker than grabbing a loaded gun "out of reach" for us (and kids are pretty creative in defeating the "out of reach" part). I personally don't think it responsible to leave unsecured firearms potentially accessable to children who haven't been trained/aren't to the training stage yet.

Also, I'd hate to walk in on someone stealing my stuff and get shot at with my own guns.

7. I agree TXplt... luckily we have no kids yet. I don't even own a trigger lock. I'm sure that will change in the near future... however, there will always be the one ready to go.

The Connecticut home invasion was only the next town over from my family in Connecticut. They went to the funeral... It's pretty sobering when that kind of thing happens so close to loved ones.

Imagine how the father feels... his wife and daughters taken from him... and why? The house can be replaced... but not his family.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  8. When we are not home our valuables are locked in the safe room closet. With three deadbolts and a steel door frame, the alarm hopefully will make them leave. Most have been happening during the day. Any low window should be secured.

9. TXplt

Yeah...it's gotta be a balance between safety and accessibility......

There are a couple of tragic cases (LEO's by the way) where kids got to the service pistol in the car or house after mom/dad left them alone for "just a minute." Ours is just shy of 3 and really creative in using tools and stacking stuff to climb up to get things he wants. I don't think he could pull a DA trigger or cycle a slide, but I'm not going to take that chance. We'll train him on firearms safety as he gets a little older.

10. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    There is much to recommend for a pistol, especially a large-caliber semi-auto, but a pump action shotgun has one thing going for it a pistol doesn't. According to police officers I have spoken to, the thing that scares a burglar more than anything else is the ti-CHAK of a pump action racking a round into battery. If you can figure a way to secure it against curious little hands, there's nothing better for scaring off a burglar than a pump-action 12-gauge.

You don't need to load it with 00 buck, either. I read a report from an ER nurse that stated in the 10 years he had worked the ER, no one who came in with a close-range hit to the upper chest from a 12 gauge had survived, regardless of the load (his hospital got a lot of hunter injuries). Don't think the smash and grab artists don't know that. It's why the ti-CHAK is so scary to them. They hear that, they'll run every time, the police say.

11. Pred

Pred Guest

Wonder what the sound of an AK would do.....

12. KGunner

KGunner G&G Evangelist

Violent deadly home break ins are rare, but we only really hear about them. Most of the time the perp is unarmed because if they get busted having a weapon multiplies the severity and sentence of the crime. Many are just unarmed and try to be quiet. I would guess most of us here are better armed and much better with a weapon than a crook.

13. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

lol i want to live with you! that sounds about as safe as you can be!

14. Anyone ever watch that series called " It Takes A Thief"? It's two ex-burglars that pick a house, rob it and then show the home owner the areas that need fixin'?

I found it quite interesting, but then it kind of pissed me off because they also basically show how to do it. lol Like on the news, when they break a story about a "potential" leak in airport security or some other high security area. Like yea, let's just tell the world about these potential areas so that if they didn't know or think of it before, they sure as hell are now..

But this show showed these guys are/were methodical and know/knew what to look for and where to look. They were also quite educated in the arts as well, to know which pieces might bring in cash. Basically, they look for anything that will being cash that they can turn around real quick. Never took or take anything that they'd have to hang onto for a while before they could get rid of it. Most already knew this but there are those that don't or might not...

Although informative, it really bothers me they have shows like that. Let's face it, many get their ideas from books,watching T.V. and many other informational sources society itself provides for them...

15. It's only the tip of the iceberg brother... my neighbor is a cop, I'm a cop and only mentioned a few of the guns I can bring to any and all attempts... not to mention any others who may see any "activity" out of the norm in the neighborhood.

God will be the only help to anyone dumb enough to try.

16. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

It is not like a kung fu movie, where the main character always fights thugs in groups of three. It is completely unpredictable, and your location will have many varying factors over somewhere else. Every time myself or my friends have been broken into, no weapons were involved at all, because that will carry a lot bigger charge against them. I am sure if they use any weapons it will be whatever is available. I would assume knives and blunt objects would be the top two since they don't make any noise and don't ever run out of ammo, and a lot of times are not really traceable.

I would say any type of violent break in is going to be way low on the charts and scales and that most are just smash and grabs or something similar.

If this really happened then it is rare and scary and sad all at the same time. They don't catch most burglars until they mess up. It is not like the Police can send in the CSI into burglaries all the time and collect forensic evidence when there are much more pressing matters to deal with, like murders. The Police really don't prevent crime, they deter it, and they investigate it and build cases against criminals to put them through our due process.

I am not sure where you live, but I live in a neighborhood close enough to the bad parts of town where people like to hop over in my hood and smash and grab and run back to theirs. I have had cops knock on my door twice in the last two years because my neighbors got robbed and they wanted to take a statement from me. I never saw or heard anything either.

The reality of it is, you can't predict what a human will do, ever. You can choose to live in paranoia and have loaded guns all over the place, but that doesn't guarantee your safety either.

Security is layered. There is no one method of protection that is absolute. Make sure you have secured windows and locks on doors. Get a dog. Put out motion lights in your yard. Get an alarm system. So on and so forth. There is no one method that guarantees safety, but if you layer several methods it puts you in higher percentage brackets. I am pretty sure if you had all of the above you would most likely never ever need a gun or to use a gun period, as it would deter any criminal from your home. Granted, again, nothing is 100% fool proof.

17. TXplt

It's not living in paranoia to have firearms (secure but accessable) in places you can get to in your home. It's good thinking and taking self defense seriously. If you're on the first floor (oh, maybe typing on your computer in your office) you might not have time to get to the firearm in the bedroom upstairs. Firearms certainly will never guarantee anything, but can be a valuable tool to use in the defense of you and your family.

An alarm/dog/lights is a great idea. This will potentially give you some time to get your family to safety and arm up (while rolling the cops as well). As much as others can assist in helping you, self-defense of you and your family will always primarily be your right and responsibility.

18. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

I know, but all I am saying is that nothing is fool proof, and that if someone really wanted to, they could easily get into your house. They could pose as a police officer or call and act like the security company, so on and so forth. Also, having a gun doesn't guarantee safety just like you said. When my home was broken into I was down stairs in the living room, and my firearm was up stairs and on the other side of the house. There was no way I was going to get to it quickly.

When I said live in a state of paranoia I was talking about it generally.

19. mdj696

mdj696 G&G Evangelist

Cyrano is so right about the racking sound of a pump shotgun, its a real attention getter. As a general rule, residential burglarys occur during the day. Business burglarys occur at night. Surroundings matter. Work just outside of Atlanta and I keep my S&W 45 long colt with me at all times, where up in rural Smokies I never think about carrying one. I do howeve keep em loaded case a bear comes through the window. I never worked a burlary where perps went into someones attic. Use to hide em behind wod paneling in my hallway, before I got a safe. And again I've seen perps take a 1000 lb safe and peel it in woods somewhere.