Home made stock

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by hey_poolboy, Sep 18, 2010.

1. hey_poolboy

hey_poolboy G&G Addict

So, I've been working for some time on a new stick for my .22-250. So far this is where I'm at. Spent an awful lot of hours to get here from the Hickory plank I started with. Only a "little" more time and I'll be ready to set the action in and bed it.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. dman24

dman24 G&G Newbie

That looks real nice. I have thought about making one for my 30-06, but don't have the tools and time. What are you gonna finish it with, like the stain and stuff. Post some pics when you get it done.

3. Purdy

Purdy G&G Evangelist

Hickory? You are a glutton for punishment, that is some hard, heavy wood. You have done an amazing job.

4. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Evangelist

Have made a few of my own stocks with old bed headboard wood in cherry, oak, maple. Laminated boards together and then shaped. Darn tedious work shapeing wood to suit you and then getting the inletting just right.

Looks like you've done some very good work there on your stock. Looks great! Been a long time since I worked a piece of hickory wood. But what I remember about it, don't think It'd be at top of my list for wood to use to make a rifle stock. Chuckle, not sure my chisels and router bits are sharp enough.

5. Steve

Steve Master Gunsmith Staff Member

Very nice work was the wood properly dried and have the correct moisture content before you started?
    Steve

6. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
  7. roverboy

roverboy G&G Enthusiast

Looks good, but that had to be some hard work there. My Grandpa made a lot of ax, hammer, and other handles out of hickory. Its some hard stuff. Hope it turns out good.

8. hey_poolboy

hey_poolboy G&G Addict

Sorry, I've been working a lot lately. Thanks for the compliments.

My Dad cut the log a few years back, then cut the planks about a year and a half ago. I don't recall what the % was but he metered it before he gave it to me and said it should do fine. (He does a lot more wood working than I do.) It has been a bear to work. It really is hard, heavy stuff. I'm about 95% inlet and now I'm down to shaping the grip and cutting out wood in any place I can to lighten it up. I don't think it's too heavy though.

I haven't decided on a finish yet. I'm wanting to darken it up a little bit.

9. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

Looks like you've done a great job! Be sure to post pics when it's all said and done.

10. Looks good. And remember, nothing worth while is ever easy. As for finish, why not make it a blondie?

11. Link23

Link23 G&G Newbie

im wanting to make a stock JUST LIKE THIS when iget home but out of black walnut

12. hey_poolboy

hey_poolboy G&G Addict

Not much progress lately. Working way too many hours and it seems the kids have something going on every evening. I decided I wouldn't be able to get all fit and finished in time for coyotes, so for now I've put it on hold until the hours at work go down. I set the action back in the original stock for now. Hopefully I can get back at it after 2-3 weeks.

13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

You're doing one heck of a job !! Keep up the good work !!