Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
754 Posts
When I was stationed in Georgia I hunted on military bases that were shotgun only. Shot them with #1 buck 3 inch and 00 Buck 2/34 inch. I do not like buck on deer, mangles them up and you have to track them. I killed one there with a Foster slug, like he said devastating. A few years ago on public land, again shotgun only I killed a nice 12 point with a 12 gauge Hornady sabot slug, again devastating, like with a 300 Mag. My take, 00 Buck for everything but deer especially for the house.

·
Banned
754 Posts
On May 3rd, 1999, a devastating tornado hit Moore, Oklahoma killing 36 people. F5 with wind from 302-324 mph. A guy from my gun club in his 80s had his house fall in on top of him, he survived in a hallway. His house had metal locking storm doors and windows and while he could get to the door it was impossible to open as the roof had crumbled down onto the door frame. He took a shotgun and 00 Buck and shot the brick that held the hinges in place and until he could kick the door open enough to crawl out. Spellbinding to hear him tell that story. He was a trooper.

·
Wonderment :)
35,149 Posts
OneShotKill: Sir; imagine; "booming"
inside a collapsed house with double 00
No ear protection; crumbled up mess all around!

(I don't know if he had ear protection or not)

Not knowing if anyone is around; that could possibly be in harms way

Shotgun n 00 to the rescue:)

·
Banned
754 Posts
OneShotKill: Sir; imagine; "booming"
inside a collapsed house with double 00
No ear protection; crumbled up mess all around!

(I don't know if he had ear protection or not)

Not knowing if anyone is around; that could possibly be in harms way

Shotgun n 00 to the rescue:)
My sister lived nearby but only had roof damage and so when allowed I drove thru there Houses were just piles of boards and brick. The only people allowed in were rescue people trying to dig out anyone alive. Shooting anything level would not go far. Imagine being in a collapsed house power lines down everywhere, no electricity, dark, and by the way cell phones did not work, towers down or overloaded. So, the old man an avid shooting competitor just used the shotgun as the tool that it is.

I have since decided every time I got to our storm cellar to make sure I have spare ammo, the reason is to use for a signal if a house or tree locks me in. We had another tornado and flood about 5 years ago. We have 3 cell phone carriers at my house, not one of them worked and we were cut off from the world by water. We live 3 miles from a fire station, but nobody came to check. We were fine, just fired up the generator, ran cords to TV and AC and alternated between the frig and freezer. When we plugged the router into the generator then we had email. Got to be prepared. I always have an old pump 12 with 00 Buck in it.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
21,493 Posts
In the church shooting where the Good guy stopped the bad guy (but unfortunately 2 good guys were killed) the first shot from the BG was a slug. It continued to penetrate through much of the backstops and finally wedged against a metal I beam. The second was buck.

I'm not a fan of slugs for HD, but I guess it depends on what kind of threat you expect. If it was HD against a grizzly then slugs would probably be a very good option.

If you're not sure, it's tough to go wrong with 00 buck.

Nos. 1, 2, or 4 BUCKshot might be a good choice for your situation. Comes down to how your gun patterns them and what the anticipated threat is.

Not all buckshot is equal. The Federal 9-pellet 00 LE buck patterns VERY tightly in my cylinder bore shotguns. And at close ranges you're dealing with not that much spread; maybe a small saucer to at most a dinner plate size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts