close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Home security does work. You'd better be ready.

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Oxford, Apr 4, 2002.

1. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Home security does work. You'd better be ready.

Here's another reason for individuals to have guns available in their homes. The following article was found in the Kansas city Star newspaper today.

Posted on Thu, Apr. 04, 2002

KC homeowner shoots, kills intruder
    By CHRISTINE VENDEL
    The Kansas City Star

A Kansas City homeowner fatally shot an intruder Wednesday
    morning, and police said the shooting appeared to be self-defense.

Later in the day, police arrested two men thought to have been
    involved in the break-in. Police continued to look for a third suspect.

The intruder who was killed was identified as Victor Fuentes, 18, of
    Kansas City.

Police gave this account:

The 47-year-old homeowner awoke about 10 a.m. and heard noises
    coming from the basement of his one-story house in the 300 block of
    Mersington Avenue.

The homeowner grabbed a gun from his bedroom and went to
    investigate. In the front room of the house, Fuentes confronted the
    homeowner and made a sudden motion.

Police declined to elaborate but said the homeowner interpreted the
    motion as a threat and shot at the man. Fuentes then staggered
    toward the front door and collapsed. He was taken to a hospital,
    where he was pronounced dead. Police would not say whether
    Fuentes had a weapon.

The homeowner told police he did not remember how many shots he
    fired. A bullet hole was visible in the front siding of the house, and
    the home's front window was shattered. Glass shards littered the
    front porch.

Police said a garage door window in the rear of the home was
    broken and might have been the entry point for the intruder.

Neighbors told police they saw a light blue car stopped in front of the
    house. The car, with three occupants, sped off after the shots were
    fired.

Later Wednesday police found a car in the Northeast area not far
    from the shooting that they thought was connected to the crime.
    They arrested two men at a nearby residence.

Anyone with information about the crime should call the TIPS Hotline
    at 474-TIPS (474-8477.)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2002
  2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

sounds like a good shooting to me

3. Every state might vary some in the use of appropriate and deadly force...but....sounds like to me the bad guy lost and the good guy won.

Let's just hope the county or state prosecutors' offices agree. Unfortunately, in some states you can only use the amount of force as being used against you. Not sure about MO or Ks.

^5 to the unfortunate, but able shooting, home owner.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2002
  4. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

In Ohio, you have to prove 3 things to the Grand Jury;
    1) You made every attempt to HIDE from the intruder,
    2) You were in fear for your life, and,
    3) You announced to the intruder that you had a gun, and were scared.

Pretty goofy, if you ask me. And, the hide part means just that. If you could have gotten onto the roof out of your 2nd story window to hide, you would HAVE to of have done so. If you live in a single story, and could have physically climbed out of your window and run away, that's what you were to have done.

I agree with Dale on the ^5. I hope the gentleman is cleared. It means one less criminal that could harm/kill someone else, not to mention the money saved on a trial.

5. Benny

Benny G&G Newbie

Scratch one more criminal... they need to learn that gun owners love and protect their family and property. But then again to criminals ever learn?

Benny

6. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I just think ITS a **** shame to have to prove anything...the whole thing should have went ..sir this your house..yep...know these guys...nope...ok we will get this mess cleaned up right away have a nice day Mr. Homeowner...I belive that IF I have to fire a warning shot then it will be center mass....but my home is starting to look like Im some paranoid type...burglar bars, alarm, 3 dogs, camra system and 4 signs that read "Deadly force authorised beyond this point" and on all doors "If you enter here you will be killed"...
    I rember when a persons home was their castle...now the librals think its our fault for owning a home and haveing possessions when poor criminals dont..

7. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Doglips, it's hard to own a home anymore. The criminals seem to have a right to break in and take whatever they want. Sure, the insurance will reimbuse you PARTIALLY what you paid for the stolen items. But, you are left feeling violated, and wondering why it happened to you. You never feel safe again, no matter what you do. I don't trust many people in my home anymore, and I know others who feel the same way. When I go on vacation, I spend so much time worrying about my home that I'm glad when vacation is finally over, and I come home again. Pretty sad, huh?
    The neighborhood we live in has not had ANY trouble in over 10 years, and that worries me. I keep thinking that my house will be the exception any day now. I carry a gun for a living, and when I come home, I'm walking the perimeter, looking for anything out of place. I found some cigarette butts the other day outside my garage, and have been kinda paranoid about it ever since. I'm sure it was some kids, hiding from the sight of their parents' house. I have told a couple of the kids not to hang out there anymore, and I kinda feel bad. I've always told the neighborhood kids that if they are being followed to come to my house, and I'll make sure they get home okay. Now, I'm telling the same kids not to hang around my property. It's a sad state of affairs.......

8. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

I can relate Calvin..I live in the home I grew up in..parents died 2 weeks apart..In any case I rember we left a key on top of the light just incase some one accidently locked the door.
    Now I have dead bolts, burgler bars, fence, dogs, camras, alarm ect...My wife likes shooting but is not that into guns...when she asked for a pistol for her chair I about fainted...she wanted one because of home invasions..MY neighboorhood has goten bad because 1 old and 2 new appartment complexs near my house went section 8 (Rent voucher public houseing) I live on a dead end street that has a 3or4 acre orenge grove seperating us from the biggest appartment complex...welp every time the police raid an appartment the crooks come running through the grove and down my street....last one was an armed robber of the corner 7-11....wife was at the mail box and crook was an arms leanght from her when cop car pulled up and started chaseing him....now I find my wife asking how much an M-60 or M2 BMG would cost....went out and got a rotwiler and her a shot gun.....sad part is the crooks roam free and wifee poo sits in a house with bars on the windows and CCV tv monatoring.....seems back ***** wards to me.

9. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Bob, you are right. It's the bad guys who should have to see the world from behind bars, not the decent, law-abiding homeowner. And, my wife now packs, too. A couple of streets over, in a Section 8 housing complex (not my neighborhood), a 14 year-old girl was kidnapped from her parents' apartment a month ago. She was sleeping, and the intruder came in through a second-story window. They caught the guy, but not before he had raped the girl. I have an 8 year old step-daughter, and she is a really pretty girl. **** near every day she leaves for/comes home from her bus stop, I can usually be found on my front porch. I make sure nobody is driving around, checking things out. And, God forbid, should someone try to do that to my step-daughter, or her friends There'd only be one story to tell by the time I'm done. And, I will do it to help any of the neighborhood kids, too. I will not tolerate that where I live!! Kids have it hard enough without having to worry about some pervert trying to kidnap them. I may only be one man, but I have enough firepower to obliterate all of these punks' friends and family, too.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2002
  10. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

its a real shame that things have gotten like this, creeps runamuck. i grew up and lived in NJ. there you could only resist with deadly force after all options were exausted(911, get out ,lock a door etc) and you were about to get killed!! whether you use gun or knife. still got charged with a crime by the county prosecuter, admitted anti-gunner. thank God the grand juries saw thru this fraud. a couple years ago a Kentucky prosecuter was shot and killed by one of those he prosecuted, in his house.but the prosecuter was able to get off a few shots and kill his attacker. the perp could have gone after the rest of his family.

11. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Yes, I remember that story. The Prosecuter was getting ready to go to court, when the perp shot him through the window in his bedroom. If I'm not mistaken, he used an SKS. The Prosecutor then drew a .357 from his drawer, and shot the guy. I can't remember what county that was. The Prosecutors wife was there through it all. And, didn't the two people know each other personally? I think they said that they had gone to school together, or something to that effect......

12. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

I'm 11 miles out side of town but only less than a mile from I-35, I have to go into town everyday for work and coming home always has my hair satnding up on the back of my neck. Our nieghbor has been broken into 3 times in 2years. He is right off the gravel and I have a 1/2 mile long driveway, so maybe being further off the road helps. But I can't help thinking that some dirt bag might like the fact I live so far from a road/nieghbors and come on up. If I'm home it will definately be his word against mine, but he more than likely won't be able to talk!!

13. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

That's the way it should happen, Stopper. You should be able to defend your home from ANYONE who is there without your consent or permission. Before I got my guns stolen, I really didn't have many worries about this stuff. Now, I constantly worry about it. It's a shame that law-abiding citizens have to worry what will happen to them if they are defending their home. Too many rules to keep an attacker at bay, but attackers don't have to play with rules...........

14. Stopper

Stopper G&G Newbie

It drives me absolutely crazy. When we first moved in I could sleep all night without a worry. Now since all the breakins at the nieghbors, I haven't had a single solid night of sleep. I've got my .40 in a re-engineered holster strapped to my headboard and my Hi-point 9mm under the bed. Can never have too much firepower! But every bump inthe night gets my attention, if no other noises follow i usually go right back to sleep, but even the ******* cats get my juices going at night. When the dogs bark - Oh, cheese and rice!! It is a worry! a constant worry.

15. The story I'm about to tell might be somewhat removed from protecting your home but, until this story I would've thought the average law-abiding citizen who protects his/her property had something going for them in this county....in Arizona anyway.

In one of the cities surrounding Phoenix, Chandler, I believe, a gentleman was in his house with his male room mate when they heard a noise outside. As it happened, the resident had cameras set up around his home because he had his own construction business and had his tool and equipment trailer broken into before.

As it was, he looked at the monitor and saw some guy breaking into his truck along the street and, like a fool, he went to investigate it alone (yepper...dumb...but he had guts, I guess).

As he approached his truck he noticed the guy was actually just stealing his battery. He asked the guy what was going on and the thief admitted, threateningly, he had a gun and told the resident not to come any further.

The room mate looked out and seen a rifle being pointed at his friend and shot from the house doorway and hit the thief (not killing him as luck wouldn't have it).

So far sounds like a clean case of defense of his friend right? Thief ripping off personal property and had a rifle pointed at the resident? NOT!!!!!!

The County Attorney is still deciding what (not if...WHAT) charges to charge the resident/shooter with. Why? According to the County Attorney the resident escalated the situation since, at the time of the battery theft attempt, no one was in jeopardy and the shooting would not have likely occurred if the thief was not confronted. And, the theft, although it involved personal property was actually being committed on city property (the street).

Now, less than ten years ago the cops and the County Attorney would've told the thief you're lucky you're not dead....s u c k e d it up. I know, I was one of those cops ten years ago. Now, it's a matter of possibly being tried by twelve.

I fear, the ability to defend ourselves, our family and our home
    will soon be no longer a legal option.

Sad...but that is what I see happening far too rapidly.

16. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Home invader responsible for his co-burgular getting killed

Todays K.C. Star has a follow-up article related to the home invasion posted yesterday on this forum. It's interesting that when one burgular got killed by the homeowner, protecting his family and property, that the co-burgular(s) are held legally responsible.

Now that's what I call fair justice.

Oxford

Posted on Fri, Apr. 05, 2002

Teen is charged with felony murder after
    homeowner shoots intruder
    By CHRISTINE VENDEL
    The Kansas City Star

Jackson County prosecutors on Thursday charged a Kansas City
    youth with murder following a burglary in which a homeowner fatally
    shot an intruder.

James M. Evans, 17, was charged with burglary and felony murder.
    Missouri law allows prosecutors to file felony murder charges in
    felonies that lead to a person's death. He was in jail Thursday night.
    Bond was set at $50,000.

Two juveniles thought to be involved in the break-in were
    questioned Wednesday and released to their parents. Detectives
    said the investigation was continuing.

The incident began about 10 a.m. Wednesday, when a homeowner
    in the 300 block of Mersington Avenue heard noises from the
    basement of his one-story house. Court records gave this account:

He grabbed his .38-caliber revolver from under his bed and left the
    bedroom to investigate. He encountered a burglar in his kitchen and
    asked him what he was doing there.

The burglar, later identified Victor Fuentes, 18, of Kansas City, began
    to raise his hands with an object in his left hand. The homeowner
    thought it was a weapon and shot at least twice. The object in
    Fuentes' hand turned out to be a walkie-talkie.

Fuentes stumbled toward the door and collapsed. The homeowner
    then saw a man in a white coat standing outside his house. The man
    got into a light-blue car, which sped off.

Fuentes was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Later Wednesday, police found a light-blue car in the 400 block of
    Jackson Avenue. Police traced it to Evans' home, according to court
    records, and they found Evans inside the house.

The records said the youths planned to burglarize the home on
    Mersington, staying in contact through the walkie-talkies. Fuentes
    was supposed to break in, come through the house, and then open
    the front door for Evans and the two juveniles, according to records.

To reach Christine Vendel, police reporter, call (816) 234-4438 or send e-mail to
    cvendel@kcstar.com.:assult:

17. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

Amen. I would have done the same thing. Its better to be judged by 12 then carried by 6. I tell my wife, I didn't work so dam hard for the things I have to have some THUG come and take it all away in a matter of minutes. I pitty the F**KER that tries to break into my house when my family and I are home.

18. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

Here's one from Australia that follows the same lines, only it ends worse. Mind you, this happened after the gun-grab there.

A man and his wife were sleeping. About 2 in the morning, they were awakened by a loud crash. The husband grabbed a baseball bat, and went to investigate. When he got to the kitchen, there was the intruder. The intruder had fallen through the sky light, and had messed his leg up when he hit the floor. Upon seeing the homeowner, the perp grabbed a large knife from one of the drawers, and threatened to kill the homeowner. The man simply beat the perp to a pulp. The police came, and took the perp to jail. Pretty straight-forward conclusion on the outcome, right? WRONG!!
    At the trial, the defense attorney stated that his client was suing the homeowner. When asked why by the judge(?), the attorney said that his client had meant to break into the house next door, and had broken into the wrong house by mistake, as it was dark and he was confused.
    The homeowner was found negligent in the use of too much force. Then, in civil court, the perp won a settlement. The man and his wife lost their home, and all of their life savings to this cretin. They also cannot find a job, because of their records, and have lived in poverty for 5 years.
    This story was told to me by a lady who had moved here from Australia because she could no longer shoot her pistol there. Her name is Rhonda, and she now works for Midway USA.........

19. WillyZ

WillyZ G&G Newbie

Here is the problem. HE DIDN'T KILL THE F**CKER. My father told me that DEAD MEN don't tell LIES.

20. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

hooray for our side!!! and Rhonda sounds like a pretty cool dish too, shame she had to uproot her life just to have a pistol, but hey i would too in similar circumstances.:assult: