Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I did a little trial with mylar vacuum bags and a couple of oxygen removers. We packed several boxes of the common calibers that we carry and plan on keeping them in my EDC bag. We'll see how well they hold up to banging around and decide if we want to do more in the future with some of our actual SD ammo.

Has anyone else tried this and how have they held up for you?

Handwriting Rectangle Font Material property Gas

·
Registered
MSR Shooter and Builder, Precision Bolt Action Rim & Center Fire enthusiast. Glock & 1911 pistoleer
7,727 Posts
No, but I have seriously thought about it. More so with these reloading projects I'm doing now to clear the deck of my reloading bench.
Another thing I looked at were the heat seal machines and the different rolls(dimensions and mil thicknesses) of bagging material that is out there but one roll is way too much material and no one I knew locally was interested in a group project.

What brand of system are you using?
As those bags look pretty durable.

·
Premium Member
24,547 Posts
it’s a great idea though I’ve never done it myself. As a side note, there was an article on vacuum sealing ammo for this very purpose and it was mentioned that it could force the bullet further into the case, causing preasure and chambering issues. I don’t know if this would be an issue with crimped ammo. Just something for discussion.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it’s a great idea though I’ve never done it myself. As a side note, there was an article on vacuum sealing ammo for this very purpose and it was mentioned that it could force the bullet further into the case, causing preasure and chambering issues. I don’t know if this would be an issue with crimped ammo. Just something for discussion.
I never thought about it forcing the bullet deeper into the case. They are still in the original box and seated in the foam "egg crate" packaging so I wouldn't think that it would be a concern but... It would be easy enough to measure some COL before and after to see if there was a change.

I did take the edges of the bags after we sealed them and folded then to the back side of the box and taped them down. Those corners of the aluminum / mylar bags are sharp for sure.

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
I doubt the bullets would be forced deeper into the cases. If the reasoning is that the vacuum can force them inward, I would think that the internal pressure in the cartridges would force the bullets outward as the surrounding pressure drops in the package. Even then, I don't think there is enough force to do that. And over time, the pressures would tend to equalize if there is any leakage around the crimp or primer seat.
From the photos, the sides aren't "sucked in" so pressure from the package must not be very high either.

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
i have used the vacuum seal bags for ammo before, it seems like after a couple of years they poof back up again.
you can always reseal them with a curling iron or whatever but you lose the suck on the bag.

I've kinda just gone to using freezer bags for stuff i don't want wet, i can open and close them all i want, squeeze the air out after each use, and they are still water proof.
once they get some roughed up i replace them with another one for about a nickle.

the little side bag on my hunting rifle carries spare ammo, a lighter, toilet paper, my gutting knife, tag and license, and a couple of granola bars.
it's been in there for like 5 years now.
sitting around, then being hauled all over in whatever weather, opened and closed, etc.
it's easily got like 1-2 more years on it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Years ago I vac-sealer some 308 ammo. Guess about 3 years later I checked the ammo and the bag had swelled, no hole in the bag, I guess the gunpowder expelled gas? Now I just store my anno in ziplock bags inside GI ammo cans. No problem, guess the aired New Mexico air helps keep ammo fresh.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of my ammo is in sealed cans in the basement. This test I'm doing is for ammo that will be in and out of the house, into my car/truck and not kept in a controlled climate like the rest of my ammo. I did throw some oxygen removers in the bags and they are a foil / mylar type bag, so they aren't exactly like the normal plastic food saver bags.

I've never noticed a true mil-spec battle back swell up, so not sure if what some of you experienced with the poly bags is do to off gassing or just air ingress.

We'll see how they hold up and it might be a great idea or it could be a waste of my time and materials. I'll keep an eye on them and try to remember to give an occasional update on their status.

Here is the claim from the bag manufacturer. (take that with a grain of salt or whatever it's worth)
Independent testing demonstrate our SteelPak 4 mil. Mylar bags are scientifically 4500% more effective at blocking oxygen penetration than all leading poly vacuum bags

·
Registered
12,286 Posts
our military now uses some sort of poly bag with a handle on it to hand out to the troops.
it's a pretty thick bag [10-12mil?] and colored [tan].
i guess a guy could look up the specs on it somewhere.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Super Moderator
14,471 Posts
I tend to leave a firearm and a lot of ammo in my BOB/EDC bag in my vehicle 24/7/365. Now I do occasionally take it our, inspect and clean, but I hadn't thought about vacuum packing. Considers desiccant, but didn't know how to use it if not in a sealed or air proof bag. I like this idea.

PS - save your criticism of my leaving a gun in the car for yourself! LOL

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Does is really matter as long as it does not get wet? I have recently fired some 45 acp that I loaded in 1987, 100% and the velocity was the same as ever. I have some military ball dated 1966 that I have had since about 1977 and moved it from an apartment for a total of 9 times now, while not much is left, it fires 100%. We also bought cases of 7.62 x 39 and 5.56 back in the middle 1980s ad it also has been moved many times and fires 100%. Just saying, like others I keep mine in metal cabinets in a garage or in military cans, temperature and humidity can change but it never gets wet and I have never had a problem. Also, we bought a bunch of cases of shotgun ammo when a major store went out of business, and even 35 years later the remaining ammo is still working 100% of the time.

Just never had a problem and wonder if maybe the companies are hyping this as a problem? Just my experience.

·
Super Moderator
17,092 Posts
You said this was for your EDC bag.

Could you please describe that further?

When I think of EDC "every day carry" bag I think of a bag that is more often than not actually out and about on or with me for my job or daily activity that is on my person with me and dismounted from my vehicle. In the office, in and out of my house, in my work place etc. Stuff might carry daily essential stuff you use for job etc like a laptop or tablet or power cables, or daily use water bottle or snacks etc. The items being used every day on a regular basis.

In that case carrying around 150 rounds of assorted vaccum sealed ammo would probably be more of a hinderance than a help.

Or...

was this more of a travel / emergency "get home" bag sort of set up with emergency supplies that gets left locked in your vehicle until / unless needed?

If that is the case unless you have an open top jeep or something, really none of the contents should be exposed to the elements.

Ive seen ammo left stored in vehicles for years with no ill effect.

For example, some of our SWAT vehicles have resupply bags stuffed with boxed ammo or pre-loaded mags that are left stored in the trucks for a couple years probably before they get recycled out with newer stuff. Meanwhile the external weather is rain, snow, hot, cold etc. As long as the ammo is in a dry container, its good.

Vaccum sealing it really isnt getting you all that much extra protection. In fact the military "battle pack ammo" in the thick rubbery / polymer packs that were previously mentioned are not even vaccum packed. The outside packaging just basically heat sealed to keep water out if the pack got submerged or left out in the rain and drenched. There is still air inside.

You could probably just save yourself the hassle and get a Magpul Daka pouch

Magpul® DAKA® Pouch, Large

and put your three boxes of ammo in one of their larger ones. The material is a hybrid polymer mix that makes it very water resistant and so are the zipper seals.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
This is a bag that travels with me wherever I go. It's comes into the house at night, goes into the car / truck during the day and is kept in there or on me depending on where I'm at and what I'm doing. It might go into the woods while I'm hunting and sit at the base of my tree stand in snow or rain. (It's never too far from me)

There is the potential for it to get wet for the above mentioned reasons, or even if I needed to get home in SHTF situation. If it were truly for a battle pack, I'd use full magazines instead of factory boxes. As mentioned in one of my earlier posts, this is just a trial to see how well they hold up to daily beating around.

I'm not suggesting to do this with all ammo, most of what I have is in sealed ammo cans in a climate controlled basement. I'm just doing it for what is carried / beat around in my pack and will scale it down to align with whatever weapon I'll have on me at the time. There is no way I'm planning on carrying 150 rounds of mixed caliber ammo at all times.

I could buy a Magpul Daka pouch but I already had the materials in the house for long term food storage and could use them for this application without the need to spend any more money to possibly get the same result, and it only took 5 minutes to do all 3 boxes.

If nothing more, it makes me feel better about keeping it dry and contained.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.