close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Horizontal or Vertical mag pouches?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyclops, Aug 16, 2002.

1. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

I was practicing last night....dry firing, drawing, reholstering, reloading...when a question popped up. What is the most efficient way to carry extra mags (horizontally or veritcally on the belt)? Tried it both ways and can see advantages to both.

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Vertical, upside down.

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Yupper with Klaus there. Used to get in trouble carrying them that way in the Army. 1st Sgt. would yell "hey John Wayne, turn those d a m n pouches right side up!"

4. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

We get yelled out for having them upside down in my department. As for me, I learned with them upright. Learned it that way, keeping it that way.

5. Cyclops

Cyclops G&G Newbie

WOW :eek: talk about need pouches that fit! I was finding horizontal w/ an outward presentation worked best. 2nd was Vertical w/ upward preso (seemed fastest route from pouch to gun).
    :hmmm: upside down, huh?!?

6. hipowr

hipowr G&G Newbie

NE PA
    I don't really see a benefit to either over the other. I personally carry them horizontal on duty and vertical off duty (as I carry an open top holder off duty). The only reason I went horizontal on duty was the mags poked into my rather adaquate belly less. The major point is to index the magazine so your grasp naturally puts your finger on the front of the magazine as your draw it to assist in guiding the mag into the well. With horizontal I index down and with vertical you want to index towards your belly button (depends on if you're lefty or righty).

later,
    AJ

7. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

With the right kind of pouch, you can use a chopping motion with your hand to open the velcro flap and have the mag drop straight into your hand, without looking. It takes the right holster and practice. If there is the likelyhood of getting snagged, I would recommend rightside up. If you are wearing a jacket, horizontal.