HORNADAY PROGRESIVE PRESS

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AKROADKILL, May 28, 2008.

1. AKROADKILL

AKROADKILL G&G Newbie

DOSE ANY ONE HAVE ONE LOOKING FOR SOME FEED BACK. IM THINK OF GETING ONE AND IT SOUND LIKE A GOOD DEAL WITH IT FREE 1000 BULLETS :feedback:

2. Mine came Tuesday. I'll save you an extra few days of not being able to do anything if you do get it because it only says this in the manual that comes with it.

But if you do, also get Hornady's One Shot cleaner and dry lube. It says to use that on all metal parts before first use because all metal parts have been treated with a rust preventative. But all I can say is it looks to be well made. I haven't assembled as I'm going to clean and lube as I go. I had to order the stuff so that's the delay. You think they'd either send some, enough to do just the press one time with the unit or mention something about it in the description to save the person some time. I will be calling them and telling them this.

But I say, go for it. And I got my stuff here. Best price I found on both the press, cheaper then Midway, and on the One shot stuff. Here's both links...

Midsouth HORNADY/PACIFIC RELOADING TOOLS LOCK-N-LOAD AUTO PROGRESSIVE PRESS

Midsouth HORNADY/PACIFIC RELOADING TOOLS ONE-SHOT GUN CLEANER

Midway, by the way and FWIW, has it for $379.99. This place has them on order, but worth the wait. MHO that is. I think Graf and sons has it for $374.99.

3. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

Well, I sold my old Dillon 550 and bought one of those Hornady LNL AP presses late last summer. I built a new reloading bench, very sturdy one to stably hold the beast, purchased needed shell plates and other do dads, got it all set up...and I'm just now getting ready to load some ammo with it.

Billy's recent experiences with a progressive press has helped encourage me on with this project. Heck, if Billy can do it then I figure that I should be able to...right?

Part of the delay in me using the Hornady LNL AP was caused because I've had a hard time weaning myself from the RCBS presses I've got set up on another bench.

All the research I've done on the Hornady LNL AP tells me that it's a sweet press; especially the newer models, because they have worked out the major bugs.

Oh, the 1,000 free bullets part of the offer made it a sweet deal too.

4. dogman2

dogman2 Suspended

Iowa
    I have had mine for five years or better and no problems.

5. LiveToShoot, just curious, did you clean it and lube it as it says to in the manual?

6. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

GM,

I too learned, after press arrived, about the need for buying some One Shot to remove factory applied rust inhibitor, and the need to lube...

Everything below the die stations on my press is cleaned/lubed, and your posting reminded me that all I have left to clean/lube is my powder measure/case activated powder drop, then I'm ready to start reloading ammo.

Watching some of the Hornady "how to" videos on YouTube also reminded me of the RCBS powder cop die that I'd purchased earlier...I nearly bought another one, cause I'd forgotten that one was purchased when I bought the press last summer.

Here's a copy of the video clips... Caution, a bit of rough language by person providing
    demo. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDKSXvUynKw&feature=related]YouTube - Hornady LNL AP Operation[/ame]

Thanks...

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  7. FWIW, I just got off the phone with a tech at Hornady because I wanted to make sure of where and what to clean. I was even told to take the metering apart and clean that also. I guess the rust preventative is pretty much put and or gets all over everything and if you don't get it off that, it'll gum up really quick.

Thanks for posting the video. Might have to check it out on a later date. lol
    Oh yea, I brought up why don't they pack at least a 3oz can of the one shot with the press to save a person from having to wait a few more days to get going. He said they use to but "regulations" kind of put a stop to it. I said then at least include it somewhere in the instructions that it's something that will be needed so a person can at least order it at the same time or on the same day.

I mean mine came in Tuesday, I went to my kids baseball game right after and when I got home I inventoried everything I'd ordered, read the manual and then of course saw that suggestion. So I then ordered it that same night and it's due here tomorrow. So for me, 3 days delayed. Good luck with yours.

Oh and one last thing. That one shot is suppose to lube it also. No need to lube after spraying that stuff on it all.

8. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Suspended

GM,

Here's an article of interest on the Hornady LnL AP:
    Reloading round-up | Ammunition, Accessories, Reloading, Things I like | GRANT CUNNINGHAM

Are you familiar with the Vibra-Prime? I've been reading up on it, and considering getting one to reload primer tubes. Here's a look at it:
    Vibra Prime

Another bit of helpful info...http://www.icantping.com/~mmasuda/hornady_info.html#_Toc138226563

GM,

Today (6-1-08) I spent time cleaning rust inhibitor out of the powder measure/linkage.

I just pulled 200 .44 brass from the tumbler and put another 200 in.

I'm nearly ready to give this press a try...

How are you doing in getting your's ready?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008