close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Hornady .170

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by duck223, Mar 28, 2002.

1. Does anyone know if Ruger is going to come out with this new caliber in the varmint?So far marlin out does the Ruger in accuracy,but I'm a Ruger fanatic.

2. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

.177 rimfire...

Dear duck,

I am interested in the .17 magnum round, but I have not decided which manufacturer suits my fancy. I do not know if Ruger is producing one as of yet, knowing them they might stuff it in a 10-22 carbine frame. Sounds cool to me...(Any Ruger personell reading can feel free to use this idea)

Marlin hit it big this year in my opinion, from the 450 marlin round production, to the inroduction of the .17 magnum. Braudening their spectrum on either end would have satisfied be, but I was happy to see the 17 on the lower end .

The one thing that Marlin has entertained me with handling rimfire up to mid size rounds is the Micro-Groove rifling.
    It has proved its worth over the years, but they havent done this with the 17, I am thinking it is because the bore is so small. regardless, without their rifling in the small bore rifles it seems to point me to another mode of bullet trajectory. such a small bore can only hold so many grooves.
    If I were to choose a firearm upon reliability I would personally go with Ruger.
    I know that remington has a center fire version (not exchangable ammo) and the ballistics are purdey good if you don't mind spending the extra money. I havent heard much about it, they don't explain as much to me as other companies do. I have to hear about it from others.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2002

3. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

4. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Duck223,

If you want an accurate .17HMR wait for the Anshultz models to come out, Three are planned all on the 64 action. Sorry but the most accurate .17HMR's won't say Ruger on them. The marlin is more accurate than the Ruger and is $200 less. My guess is Anshultz may beat Ruger out with a production rifle also. Ruger loves to announce a new rifle then take two years to actually get it out on the market. I waited 15 months for a 77/22h hornet only to find out it was a POS! IMHO lifes too short to waste on any Ruger long gun. I do like their handguns though. Just my $.02.

Dave375

5. BigJake

BigJake G&G Regular

Anshultz?

I would like to see what anshultz has to offer, especially if it possibly the cheapest and most accurate .
    Ruger I have been told already has one out, but they dry up fast. The marlins I found out since last night are cheaper. Do you know if they are using the micro-groove landsandgrooves?
    what have you found to be the most accurate so far?

6. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Bigjake,

Anshultz and cheapest don't belong in the same sentence, LOL!!

One of the articles I read stated that the Marlin will have "ballard style" rifleing. I don't know if it's cut or buttoned, but it won't be the "Micro groove" style.

Dave375