Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know anything about this.....was on a reloading suppliers web site....trying to get people intested in it....along the lines of the .17hmr but reloadable centerfire....no date announed yet or firearms made for it....this is a cut/paste of the add....not my words. and all the info they provided...

Hornady announces yet another Incredible Cartridge! The 204 Ruger! Hornady's Newest innovation delivers extremely high velocity, low recoil and muzzleblast, and a flat trajectory. The initial 204 Ruger cartridge features Hornady's 32gr V-Max polymer tipped bullet while using 1/3 less powder than a 22-250 to provide accuracy and hard-hitting velocity that's still forgiving on your barrel! The .204 Ruger has an incredible Muzzle Velocity of 4225! (Tested from the Ruger Model 77 with 26" Barrel) Once again, Hornady has "Impacted" Varmint Hunting in a way that it will never be the same!!

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sturm, Ruger is proud to introduce five rifle models for 2004 in an exciting new caliber: the 204 RUGER. This small, fast, and efficient new cartridge is the result of another joint development effort between Sturm, Ruger and Hornady Manufacturing Company. The 204 RUGER shares the same case head and overall length dimensions as the 222 Remington Magnum, but uses a slender new 20 caliber, 32 grain, V-MAX„¥ bullet. The 204 RUGER¡¦s bullet has an extremely efficient ballistic coefficient of 0.192 and an amazing muzzle velocity of 4,225 feet per second.

When compared directly with either the 22-250 Remington or the 220 Swift, the 204 RUGER offers higher muzzle velocity and flatter trajectory. Because the 204 RUGER cartridge achieves a higher velocity with less propellant than either the 22-250 Remington or the 220 Swift, this new cartridge does not compromise barrel life. The 204 RUGER also offers lower recoil and muzzle report than comparable high-velocity, sub-caliber ammunition. Its conventional case shape avoids feeding problems and increased rearward bolt thrust associated with short and super short magnum cartridges.

Because this new caliber provides significant benefits for varmint hunters and target shooters alike, Sturm, Ruger is introducing five rifle models chambered for the 204 RUGER. These include three bolt action rifles and two single shot rifles. The Ruger M77 MKII bolt action rifles include: the M77R in blued steel with a cut-checkered American walnut stock; the KM77RLFP Ultralight All-Weather in stainless steel with a synthetic stock and a light contour barrel; and the Target Grey KM77VT Target rifle in stainless steel with a brown, laminated wood stock, heavy target barrel, and two-stage target trigger. Ruger No.1 single shot models include the No. 1 Standard in blued steel with a cut-checkered American walnut stock and the No. 1 Stainless Varminter in stainless steel with a black, laminated stock.

These new 204 RUGER models will be available beginning in March 2004.

·
Registered
253 Posts
SOOOOOO What is the gain over the .17 Rem? Except loss of pocket money. 1387Ft-Lbs at the muzzle from the .204:BC.192 Sounds interesting, but call me a skeptic, I cannot see the barrel life not being limited by producing those velocities. "...does not compromise barrel life..." As compared to what? Don't get me wrong, I love to see new calibers coming to the "standard" manufacture scene. But I get a little out of torque when the ads are hyped so much buy the manufacture. Also I'm curious to see what the fouling will be like. I know we actually under-load our .17s and .14s simply to combat this. The 100-200 FPS gain is not worth cleaning every 10 rounds. I don't guess HNDY released the dimensions yet. Now on the other side... I can't wait to see some range time with it. I bet Berger is excited.

·
Since 03-15- 2002
28,182 Posts
Interesting, I smell what your steppi'n in jarcp. I soppse the biggest advantage would be extended range, the .17 is good up to 150~200 yards. I could see praire dog shooters scarfing up this new round, at least to try out.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well the problem I always see in "sub-caliber" bullets design is the problem that if you have a spitzer style round with a boat-tail (for the longer distance capability) you tend to loose too much bearing surface for good stabilization. I know, I know boat-tailed rounds are not a must for 200+yd shooting, but in the smaller calibers, the flat-based bullets tend to get a bit slow and wobbly at further distances. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I see this as the big brother to the 17hmr...2x the bullett weight...only.03calaber bigger....but the HMR took off and the rifles still sell out when they arrive.....so from a marketing prospective...the 17hmr was a big hit....lets keep the trend going....the Big problem I see is that the Remington rifles are all$500 +++ unlike the .17 rifles that started off around $200ish.....how many people will gamble with an expensive rifle to "try" the newest toy??????as opposed to a NEF, Rossie, under 200 for the .17hmr....then upgrade? For plinkers its a intersting twist....will Indoor ranges (for the city people) let them use it there??????? I held off getting a rifle for a long time due to not knowing of a place to shoot it......I only shoot at indoor ranges and no rifles....so unlike the .17hmr the city folk maynot buyone if indoor ranges will not allow it????? could me marketing greatness or marketing flop....we will see.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Doglips,

I never considered you city-bound folks. really off topic but regarding your quote, are you still having problems with the VA? We are a total disabled vet company, and have a lot of good contacts there if you ever need help.

·
Registered
9,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jarcp setteled for 80% a 20% increase overall toatal is 80%...acceptable....but thank you for the offer....the VA can be a pain...but I think they are very overloaded and will get even worse in the years too come as they are not gearing up for the Gulf war 2 vets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts