Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my old age I have found that I have more guns than I have heirs that deserve to have guns, so I have started to downsize. In the process I have decided that maybe I should just take some of the new funds and put it into some nicer guns that I never had, like a Python or the new Anaconda, I have owned niether, although I doubt they are any better than my SWs and Rugers. That said, I was thinking that the couple boxes of functional holsters that I gave could maybe make room for some custom holsters. So, here is a few I am thinking about. Anybody know of a good source for this stuff?

Maybe for my 2.5 model 66?

This is ostrich and alligator. Would make my model 60 look good.

This alligator rig is $950. The Jeep tires have 46K on them, so , nope. It is kind of fake looking anyway.

Maybe for my Ruger flat top 45?

OK OK OK, found one.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You didn't even visit him that time he got hit in the head and got amnesia. I was with him in the hospital every night.
Sadly , just this morning I sent an email to the brother of my best buddy. He is dying and should be in hospice. I contacted the brother last night and advised he was not responding to phone or emails, so another brother that lives in the same town went to check and found him at night down in his yard unable to get up, but refused to call 911. He has multiple issues and only days or weeks to live. He lives alone rural, no neighbors can see his house. He will probably never leave the hospital.

Today, I contacted the brother and suggested they go secure his gun collection. He probably has 40-50 guns, some of which are of high value, like an original Polytech AK 47, with limited rounds through it. That one is probably worth $5k. He has certain heirs he loves others not so much. It would
be a shame for thieves to clean him out. We all need to be planning for that. My other best buddy died early and left over 100 guns, a hassle for the widow, because most gun people do not even know what may have collector value, so they just consign them and may or may not get the proper value. Anyway, we all need to plan a home for our guns as they are a part of our lives as gun people. I have started giving a few away and need to get more aggressive with that. Sorry, but if I do not remember you after the amnesia, you are not on the list.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
20,603 Posts
Sadly , just this morning I sent an email to the brother of my best buddy. He is dying and should be in hospice. I contacted the brother last night and advised he was not responding to phone or emails, so another brother that lives in the same town went to check and found him at night down in his yard unable to get up, but refused to call 911. He has multiple issues and only days or weeks to live. He lives alone rural, no neighbors can see his house. He will probably never leave the hospital.

Today, I contacted the brother and suggested they go secure his gun collection. He probably has 40-50 guns, some of which are of high value, like an original Polytech AK 47, with limited rounds through it. That one is probably worth $5k. He has certain heirs he loves others not so much. It would
be a shame for thieves to clean him out. We all need to be planning for that. My other best buddy died early and left over 100 guns, a hassle for the widow, because most gun people do not even know what may have collector value, so they just consign them and may or may not get the proper value. Anyway, we all need to plan a home for our guns as they are a part of our lives as gun people. I have started giving a few away and need to get more aggressive with that. Sorry, but if I do not remember you after the amnesia, you are not on the list.

Just my 2 cents.
I am so sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Wow that gun was pretty old rare!!

Reactions: Ron The Legend

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
In my old age I have found that I have more guns than I have heirs that deserve to have guns, so I have started to downsize.
Likewise on the first part but I haven't decided to downsize (yet). Somebody's going to need them and it won't just be my children and nephew, it will also be their friends. Even a lion cannot survive alone.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Unfortunately, us too have no deserving kids, grandkids or relatives that deserve any of our prized guns. Too much I want, I want, and want the newest latest, greatest 2 mile deer killers and can't shoot a 1" group at 100 yards. The son we lost was a carbon copy of me and my values. No grand kids from him. I tried with the other ones, but no young people these days appreciate antiques, art, and hand fitted and or carved items. Very sad to think about this, but it is a reality. Thanks for your input as it will make us think about what to do. Tomorrow is never guarantied.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My best friend and lifelong hunting buddy left 110 guns. The Mark V Weatherby from the custom shop was his medical school gift to himself, he left it to me. Then the hassle began. He had several Class III items, some machine guns and silencers. His wife had no clue what to do. So, the wife's friend took them to gun shows and sold them off, many were valuable but the lawyer selling them who thought he was a gun guy, had no clue on many of the specialty items. They lost a lot of money. I tried to advise them but when you start telling someone that they have the wrong prices on 110 items, they do not listen very long.

Anyway, I have decided not to leave my wife in that position. I created a gun trust for my silencers and some guns, I do not have machine guns or anything like that, So, knowing I do not have many years left and I have many I will never use again I am trying to create lists of who gets what and trying to keep as many in family groups as possible. Every gun has value other than money these days. However, in the meantime, I am selling or trading a few and upgrading to some of the more expensive guns that I have never been willing to pay the big bucks for. Sure is hard to let some of them go. I traded a rifle I had killed over 20 deer with. That was hard, however, I traded it for a Redhawk, which is a fine gun. So, my sorrow did not last long after I shot that bad boy. LOL

I also know of a half dozen cases including in two in my family where someone died and their guns just disappeared, actually family members just took them. So, we all need to get a plan on where we want our stuff to go. IMHO

Sorry again to hear of your loss Ron the Legend, that must be hard.

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
Unfortunately, us too have no deserving kids, grandkids or relatives that deserve any of our prized guns. Too much I want, I want, and want the newest latest, greatest 2 mile deer killers and can't shoot a 1" group at 100 yards. The son we lost was a carbon copy of me and my values. No grand kids from him. I tried with the other ones, but no young people these days appreciate antiques, art, and hand fitted and or carved items. Very sad to think about this, but it is a reality. Thanks for your input as it will make us think about what to do. Tomorrow is never guarantied.
You and I are travelling on similar roads. If you get it figured out, be sure to let me/us know. Maybe in a few years, things will shape up.

·
Premium Member
6,485 Posts
My best friend and lifelong hunting buddy left 110 guns. The Mark V Weatherby from the custom shop was his medical school gift to himself, he left it to me. Then the hassle began. He had several Class III items, some machine guns and silencers. His wife had no clue what to do. So, the wife's friend took them to gun shows and sold them off, many were valuable but the lawyer selling them who thought he was a gun guy, had no clue on many of the specialty items. They lost a lot of money. I tried to advise them but when you start telling someone that they have the wrong prices on 110 items, they do not listen very long.
I have just finished a binder of specs and values on each gun, with pictures. Found some software that was easy to use and got er done....printed every page and put that into a binder. Digital copies and paper copy.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I have just finished a binder of specs and values on each gun, with pictures. Found some software that was easy to use and got er done....printed every page and put that into a binder. Digital copies and paper copy.
That's a great idea. I will need to do this soon as life is never guaranteed. Lost too many friends and relatives lately.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts