How are our friends

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jimkim, May 12, 2008.

1. We had a little bit of wind here the other night. I know we did'nt get anything like some of you did, so I was concerned. How are you let us know.

2. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

we had some tornados here but i dont think it was to bad it was on the other side of the city.

3. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Thanks for asking. We just had some high wind and hail here but no real damage.

4. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The town of Picher, 30 minutes north of us, was almost wiped off the map. But the big lake to the west of us seems to inhibit the formation of tornadoes, in our area. Another town to the south of us got hit also, but we haven't seen any news of it. Picher had six fatalities.

5. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Evangelist

Our county was under tornado warning for a couple hours yesterday morning, but thankfully it petered out just in time for us to get ready and head to church.

6. I'm glad to see you Scotty. I think we need to do a head count.

7. Seabeescotty

Hopefully, everyone will check in as they come onto the forum!

8. Scotty... do you have a storm cellar?

9. Seabeescotty

No, the folks who built this house didn't think it was needed, because of the area it's situated in. We're almost 1100 ft. above sea level, and Grand lake is 4 hundred and something. We're on a hill, but below the high point. A tornado would have to form over the lake, find a place to touch down to the west of us, and then move in to reach us. The only place it could touch down and get to us is the height directly behind the house. It'd be like a needle in a haystack, so we feel pretty safe. The downstairs bathroom was reinforced in the case of that one in a million hit, so I guess we'll be okay. In the two years we've been here, the storms always split at the lake, and go north and south of us. It was pure luck that we ended up here, or maybe providence. But we feel good about the odds.

10. I agree, you are in a good place. I'm actually in the process of building a "safe-room" in our basement with re bar and concrete... with a re-bar and concrete ceiling. Tornado's scare the crap outta me!

Obviously, I live in Wisconsin... but they come through here too.

11. Seabeescotty

I kinda got into the feeling that, if it's my time, a shelter won't change that. If not, then I'll be just fine. I've got friends to the northwest of me, that have a shelter in the basement, but they're out in flat country, where a twister can touch down, and tear the heck out of a large area. And they've only gone into it a couple of times in three years. Seems like a lot of money, for a party place for the copperheads!!LOL!!

12. In the meantime, I'll double the shelter as my armory... gotta have ulterior motives at times... lol.

I've said that all along, it really does not matter how well protected you are, when it is your time, it is your time.

You could wear all the body armor in the world... and still be run over by the tank.

13. Seabeescotty

It's happened before, and it'll happen again. I'd think about doing that, but the moisture would be a pain in the butt to keep out. Oh well, I'm set up pretty good now, and can live with the situation.