How Are Your Ears?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DANA, Sep 22, 2002.

1. HOW MANY OF YOU ARE SUFFERING ANY HEARING LOSS? MY FIRST RIFLE WAS A 30/06 MARK 1 SPRINGFIELD. SHOT IT AS IF IT WERE A 22. MY EARS WOULD RING WHEN I FINISHED SHOOTING. I WAS 14 AND I STILL HAVE THE RIFLE. THEN CAME THE KOREAN WAR AND AIRCRAFT ENGINES. B-25 WAS THE WORST. THEN JETS. NO HEARING TO SPEAK OF ABOVE 1600. MY WIFE SAYS I HAVE SELECTIVE HEARING AND I ANSWER HUH? NEW HEARING AIDS NEXT WEEK. HOPE THEY WORK BETTER THAN MY OLD ONES.. AMPLIFIES THE BACKGROUND NOISE SO MUCH I CAN'T HEAR THE SPEECH. I STRESS THE USE OF EAR PROTECTION IN MY HUNTER SAFTY COURSE AND GIVE DISPOSABLE EAR PLUGS FOR USE ON THE RANGE. I TEACH THAT 22'S ARE AS BAD AS BIG BORE JUST NOT AS LONG DURATION. ANY COMMENTS?

DANA

2. Dana,

I, too, suffer from hearing loss.

I have about 60 percent loss in the right ear and about 40 percent loss in the left ear.

When I joined the Army they never had a hearing test to determine your level before. Consequently, you could never prove your hearing lose was the result of military duty....bummer.

They were mainly interested in getting anyone they could during the Viet nam war.

I have no doubt my hearing loss was the result of military duty. Not only shooting various firearms without hearing protection (heck, they didn't even have foam ear plugs back then) but also from the fact I flew Hueys and Chinooks with the doors wide open.

Back then you needed to be able to hear the commands of the flight crew and flight helmets and helmet audio were unheard of for the aft crew.

After I got out I was lucky to get into law enforcement. They had no hearing test although they had the eye test.

I guess they figured if you could hear the interview questions your hearing was good enough.

My hearing loss is on the high end so hearing females is a problem at times. Hearing the higher notes of the musical scale is difficult at times, etc.

So, I agree with you that all shooters should use hearing protection. I do because I cherish the hearing I have left and sure as h e l l don't want to lose any more.

My hearing loss has never been a detriment to me....at least, not that I know of....more of an inconvienence more than anything.

It's true....you lose it so gradually that most people aren't aware they have some hearing loss.

I say, 'hey?' to my wife some much that it's almost automatic that I say it if I'm not paying attention to her.

Wear your ears.....save your ears!

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I blame modern music for any hearing loss I've sustained. I'd swear that a typical concert will do more damage than firing a mag from a 45 or a hundred rounds out of a 22.
    I still use hearing protection on the range, though I remember two occasions when I forgot to put it in. One was while videotaping my friend's AR-180, which wasn't too bad since his flash hider didn't send the same shock wave as my G3's post-ban brake. Second was when he was taping me fire my G3. I pulled the trigger, it went bang, and the world was suddenly silent. I wasn't sure if I'd somehow killed all the locusts.
    I think I'm alright though. Course I'm only 20.

4. Pumpkinheaver

Pumpkinheaver G&G Evangelist

It depends what the old lady is trying to say wheather I'm deaf or not. Seriously, yes I have experienced some hearing loss over the years from shooting guns without ear protection.

5. jerry

jerry Since 03-15- 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Progressively getting worse. 18 years of Aerospace vehicles and ground equipment. Get tested every year. Gets too bad I could loose my job and career. My civi job involves being in Industrial areas of all sorts. Then, there is the gun fire. I allways try to wear protection but sometimes slip. The damage is irreversible.

6. wes

wes Guest

I always use hearing protection,NOW. I didn't always and have lost some hearing,but,I hear all the voices in my head just fine.

7. I was thinking about asking the same question Dana asked. I have tinitus real bad in my left ear. Its a constant ringing that never goes away. It was caused by just one stupid idiot firing just one shot. This jerk fired a .45 while standing a little behind me and to my left. The muzzle blast was directly in my ear. I just about fell to the ground because of the pain in my ear. I dam near shot him because for a split second, I thought I'd been shot. I never saw this guy again. I went to the Dr. the next day and he said I'd lost about 80% hearing in the upper ranges. My right ear is OK and I dont have tinitus in it, but I am very aware of the fact that I dont hear nearly as good as I did 25 years ago. I know its from being dumb when I was younger and not using muffs.

8. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I have extremely good hearing in my right ear, especially with regards to high frequencies. My left ear is only "normal", due to an accident at work that tore my eardrum. It used to be as good as my right ear. I often wear hearing protectors.

9. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

I have only fired a few rounds at the range without hearing protection. but there are many times I have fired the rifles and handguns while hunting with minor temporary loss - I guess one of these days I will see some

10. Too many rock concerts in the late 70's.

11. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Too late for me...Should have been wiser long ago.

Hearing upper frequencies(above 1600) is nearly impossible for me. In crowds I'm almost relegated to lipreading. Can't separate voices so I get in more beer drinking as a result. That's not all bad.(ha)

Now I wear earmuffs or earplugs. Should have used them years ago but OSHA finally forced me to use them.

In my long background I've been around too many loud noises including: shotguns & rifle sounds, sheet metal riveting, woodworking surfacers & other high pitched machines, loud music, and a few others loud noises.

Now I constantly hear locusts (tinitus) and need to be facing the person speaking to me in order to hear clearly.

Oxford
    :nod:

12. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

HUH??? HOWS THAT???

i find my self asking people to repeat what they say more and more. a year next to a 105mm battery, untold rounds, on a round the clock fire mission. countless rounds fired unprotected. plus genetics takes it toll.:(

13. Doglips

Doglips Guest

Im sorry what did you say???????

14. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Four years of working on jet aircraft pretty much did me in on high-frequency hearing. I usually wore my "ears", but sometimes if a pilot had an emergency, we'd jump up with a foot in the intake and step up to the cockpit to talk to him. We could do that with a T-33 - wouldn't try it with a Phantom!
    Once I was waiting for the truck to come pick me up on the flightline. I'd been working in the wee hours and hadn't brought my muffs. Five T-37 Tweets taxied by, close. I'm quite sure that's where my hi-freq hearing loss came from. Gawd, were those little engines loud!
    The only problem I have from the hi-freq loss is that I'm now more senstive to Low-freqs. Those "rolling boomboxes" the kids drive now drives me up the wall. I listen to my stereo with the trebel up full, and bass almost off. Conversation is no problem.

15. HUH??????

WHO SAID WE GUYS WERN'T "NORMAL"

DANA

16. Calvin

Calvin G&G Evangelist

I, too, have tinitus. It's in both ears and it can drive me nuts at times. I also had ruptured ear drums in 1986 from a flight gone bad in Orlando, Florida. It is better some days, but worse on others. I have always used ear protection when shooting, but the ringing gets so bad at times, I have to stop and take the muffs off.

17. Rave

Rave G&G Evangelist

That tinitus is a real pain,never stops,got mine stripping paint and corrosion from bridges with air and electric hammers bfore OSHA.Try to tell folks to save there hearing but they know better.
    It's not too bad,can hear normal conversation unless there are competing voices or noises,you know what I mean!
    :D :D :D

18. I know what you mean about competing voices or noises. If I'm in a place with any kind of background noise, I cant hear the person standing 6" away. I really hate that. I see other people carrying on a conversation with no problem at all.

19. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

eh? Ya gotta speak up sonny!

20. Klaus

Klaus Guest

I hear the voices in my head just fine.