close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do FALs operate?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, May 3, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

I know it seems like either a too simple or too complicated question, but I wonder how FALs compare to other rifles. I'm thinking particularly about the gas system and bolt locking mechanism. Like with my friend's AR-180, the bolt carrier is on twin springed rods. The gas piston pushes on the carrier to cycle it. The bolt rotates and locks into the barrel. On my SKS, the piston pushes on the bolt carrier as well, but the bolt locks by the back end locking down into the receiver. My friend's AK has a rotating bolt, but the piston is attached to the bolt carrier, unlike the others that just push on it.
    So how does the FAL do it?

2. It's just like the SKS, except the gas piston is a separate piece with it's own spring. The bolt carrier has a "rat tail" that pushes against a recoil spring in a tube that travels the length of the buttstock. The tilting bolt headspaces and locks on the locking shoulder positioned transverslyat the rear of the bolt when it is locked in the breech.
    [​IMG]

3. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

Nice photo there. What I still don't understand is how the bolt carier depresses a spring on a different axis. And how do the folding stocked versions operate without the rat-tail in the buttstock?

4. The "rat tail" is not solidly fixed to the bolt carrier, but can pivot vertically which allows the angle to change as the carrier cycles back and forth in the action.
    I believe the folding stock versions use a different dust cover assy. with the recoil spring built into it.
    IMHO the FAL has one of the simplest and most reliable operating system/bolt locking system ever devised.
    Regards,
    Hal Beatty

5. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    Hal Beatty - You are correct about the Operating System/bolt locking system on the FN-FAL. It was pioneered on the FN-49, and then modified slightly when applied to the FN-FAL, to fit the needs of a slightly different rifle (parts are not interchangeable).

I believe that you had pointed me to a web site which has the F.N. Model 49 Self-Loading Rifle User's Manual. BattleRifleG3, should go to the same site, and look at the Manual which is very detailed about the functionality of the FN-49, and makes it easy, then, to understand the FN-FAL.

6. MAX7.62

MAX7.62 G&G Newbie

How do FAL's operate G3? They operate really good! That's why I like 'em! <grinning>

7. Hey Max! Good to see that you made it back!