Gun and Game Forum banner
1961 - 1979 of 1979 Posts

· Resident Curmudgeon
36,568 Posts
I've always wondered how one of the rectangular cans would react to a commercial kitchen can opener. You know, the big ones with the hand crank meant to open No. 10 cans, that mount on a countertop and have a big fang of a cutting blade. Would it be able to go around the corners?

· Registered
23,358 Posts
I've always wondered how one of the rectangular cans would react to a commercial kitchen can opener. You know, the big ones with the hand crank meant to open No. 10 cans, that mount on a countertop and have a big fang of a cutting blade. Would it be able to go around the corners?
I can confirm that the lip on the Yugo cans is too fat for this. It will work on Egyptian cans, though. I never have got it to work on anything else even if it looks like it should.

· Resident Curmudgeon
36,568 Posts
I can confirm that the lip on the Yugo cans is too fat for this. It will work on Egyptian cans, though. I never have got it to work on anything else even if it looks like it should.
Ever try it on Soviet cans? I have a couple of those, and I can tell you using the issue can opener on them will give you a sore wrist in one real hurry.

Reactions: goat roper

· Resident Curmudgeon
36,568 Posts
I have three tins of ammo that look like galvanized metal. The lids are leaded or soldered on. You have to pry the metal tops off. I hate that smell from inside. Smells like formaldehyde.
Maybe Bulgarian? I bought one can of Bulgie ammo and I wish I'd bought a truckload of it. Shoots better out of my 91/30s than anything else, as good as 91/30 commercial 180 grain.

· Premium Member
10,589 Posts
Maybe Bulgarian? I bought one can of Bulgie ammo and I wish I'd bought a truckload of it. Shoots better out of my 91/30s than anything else, as good as 91/30 commercial 180 grain.
Its a good chance Cyrano. I have 7.62x54 cans from different places. I know a few are the Silver Tip. I have cans that are ten to 15 years old easily.

· Registered
26,919 Posts
I have three tins of ammo that look like galvanized metal. The lids are leaded or soldered on. You have to pry the metal tops off. I hate that smell from inside. Smells like formaldehyde.
Its a good chance Cyrano. I have 7.62x54 cans from different places. I know a few are the Silver Tip. I have cans that are ten to 15 years old easily.
The stuff I have in those galvanized cans with the soldered on lids is Russian. (I love the smell of it rando) Mine has 300 rds. in the can in 15 rd. tapered cardboard boxes, on Izhevsk marked stripper clips, with a "46" date code and a "188" plant code on the head of the cartridge. I only have a partial can of 270 rounds left, but a few years ago I bought 6 cans; sold 2 cans and shot up 3 cans plus a little bit.
Lots of ammo info at this link.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm

· Premium Member
10,589 Posts
The stuff I have in those galvanized cans with the soldered on lids is Russian. (I love the smell of it rando) Mine has 300 rds. in the can in 15 rd. tapered cardboard boxes, on Izhevsk marked stripper clips, with a "46" date code and a "188" plant code on the head of the cartridge. I only have a partial can of 270 rounds left, but a few years ago I bought 6 cans; sold 2 cans and shot up 3 cans plus a little bit.
Lots of ammo info at this link.
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm
Yes that is what I have then. It is not the typical green spam can of 440 count. Yes mine came in the 15 round boxes inside on strippers also. I bought that stuff when cheap and I liked the idea of the stripper clips. That was a big plus there.

· Registered
26,919 Posts
Yes that is what I have then. It is not the typical green spam can of 440 count. Yes mine came in the 15 round boxes inside on strippers also. I bought that stuff when cheap and I liked the idea of the stripper clips. That was a big plus there.
I would imagine that some of the other plants packaged ammo for them similarly from time to time Randy. There was so much of that stuff made, in so many plants, for so many years that I'm sure lots of it had different dates and plant codes on the head stamps. Dug my partial can out and tried to get some legible pics...
Rectangle Tan Beige Synthetic rubber
Khaki Grey Rectangle Beige Concrete
Rectangle Material property Paper product Paper Silver
Carmine Grey Silver Aluminium
Metal Circle Paper Silver Paper product

· Premium Member
10,589 Posts
I use the opener that comes with the case but I only open one end, then take out the packages from that end, bang it on the ground to get the other packages to slide down to get them out. All the time hoping I don't cause anything to go off. LOL

View attachment 143826
That looks like that time I was charging a car battery on my porch and it exploded.

1961 - 1979 of 1979 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.