close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do ya feel about this?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Jack O, Apr 24, 2002.

1. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

I shoot alot of cast lead target loads. I have noticed in developing two loads for two different guns that the harder I throttled the bullets the tighter my groups got. The guns a S&W 686 4" 357 and a Ruger 96/44 . The bullets were Magnus 200grn in the 357 and 300grn in the 44 both were flat base. The powder is Win 296 12.4 in the 357 and 21.5 in the 44. The primers were magnum pistol small and large as the cases call for. Now here's the kicker everything that I've read is that the best accuracy is given by a lighter load, but the heavier I load these rounds the Better they grouped. These bullets didn't lead more than normal there was no gas cutting and the bullets recovered showed this. This blows the hole cast lead bullets are for lighter loads all out of the water. I also must add that these are or just under the published max loads.

2. Re: Whatcha think about this?

For the fellas who think cast bullets are for lighter loads, I got some .45 slugs they could catch down range if they want. 500 grain flat nose out of a .45-70 at a 1,000 meters. Nothing you want to be there waiting for when it arrives. It still has a couple of hundred ft/lbs of energy with it.

3. boneguru

boneguru G&G Newbie

what load are you using, if you can get 500gr to keep up the energy at 1000 then I really aught to able to something with a barnes solid 300gr. please reply with any info. It's for a t/c with encore frame so I can load respectful. thanks, Raymond

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    I agree, but I think were re-hashing and old issue from some guy named E. Kieth

5. sadiehn

sadiehn G&G Newbie

well To be honest I have not shot cast bullets dont plan on it either but what you are seeing is the fact that some powders like heavy charge weight your 296 win and H110 are good examples of that.In my S&W 29 8 3/8 44 mag I found my best groups were at the max charge weights it all deals with case volume and powder volume the load I use for hunting in my 44 is a hornady 240GR XTP and 24.5 grains of H110 that will let you know it is there you probly also have found that you crimp the cases real tight and the accurcy incresses even more for the fact you are useing some of the slowest pistol powder out

6. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

sadiehn I use a factory crimp die from Lee to get a real tight crimp. Jerry nothin new under the sun E. Kieth was one of the best.

7. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Jack O,

The reason your getting better accuracy with the heavy loads may be due to the hardness of the bullets. A heavy load obturates the bullet bases to better fill the chamber throats and forcing cone of the barrel. A light load with hard bullets can and does cause flame cutting on the base of the bullet when the gasses blow by the bases. Because the heavier load slugs the bullet up the gasses can't erode the base or lead the barrel. That's why target bullets are usually swaged instead of cast. The softer swaged bullets will obturate at lower pressure and seal the bore. Mike Ventorino (Shooting Times) wrote an article on this called "matching the alloy to the load", he explained it better than anything I've ever read before. Hope this helps.

Dave375

8. Jack O

Jack O G&G Newbie

Thanks I'll have to look up the article

9. For my .45-70, I am using Federal 215 Magnum Match primers, 65 grains of Goex Cartridge black powder, .300 inches compression, .030 vegetable fiber wad, and a 500 grain R&R cast RNFP lubed with Rooster Red. No crimp to speak of. Course, it has a mid range trajectory of +40 feet, and gravity probably helps it retain some energy enroute to the 1,000 meter buffalo.