close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How do you carry your 1911?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Eric, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I was just curious for those who carry a 1911, just how do you carry it? I have always been told that when dealing with a open hammer single action auto there are are several ways to carry it:

Condition 3: Empty chamber with a loaded mag
    Condition 2: Hammer lowered on a live round in chamber
    Condition 1: Cocked and Locked
    Condition 0: Cocked, safety off

I know everybody is probably going to go with C&L, but maybe not. what's your opinion.

2. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Condition 1 bro...ready to rock the block!

3. Forgot a Condition

Personally, I see little point to do this on a SA pistol, but some people carry at Condition 0.5: Half-cock, safety off. As I recall, Browning designed a few pistols that had no safeties other than half-cock (just like SAA). This is no more or less safer than C&L in practical terms, due to the 1911's grip safety. On a DA pistol, this makes some sense, since the DA travel is reduced from half-cock position.

For the 1911 and similar SA designs, Condition 2 and 3 are really just about as good as Condition 1 in many situations, holster/rig combinations, etc. Drawing from a military flap holster with a 1911 (or any pistol) is already a two-handed job. Racking the slide is no more difficult or slower than cocking the hammer (Con. 2) or disengaging the manual safety (Con. 1). Some shoulder rigs would also fit this description.

Ove valid critique of Con. 3 is that it removes one constant. In higher conditions of preparedness, at least the first round should go, as it is already chambered. You are risking the chance of not even one chambering in Con. 3.

I see absolutely no practical difference between Con. 2 and Con. 1, again, because of the grip safety. If anything, I seem to be able to cock the gun more smoothly and quickly than thumbing the safety.

For a long time I did not see much value in the grip safety. Then, I bought a mil flap holster that had a lanyard permanently attached to the belt hanger. My father advised me to walk around in the woods for a while with the 1911 in Condition 0 (in my hand, w/the lanyard). It didn't take long to realize that most potential problems with safety in the field involve dropping or losing one's grip on the pistol while in motion. When this happens with a 1911, it instantly becomes safe. Another great feature of another great Browning design.

4. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    when I lived in AZ I carried it for the world to see on my hip cond 1. Now If I need it I go from 0-60; totally cold to full hot. Inset mag and rack slide skip the safety and keep the finger off the trigger untill ready to engage. This finger thing is often over looked.

5. NRAJOE

Do you practice alot? Sounds unprepared to me,safer but unprepared.

6. jerry

USA
    Yes, I practice a lot. However, my beloved 1911 is not my primary defense weapon, albeit I love it. I'm actually no darn good from a deep sleep with any hand gun. this is a fault of my own I recognize and am aware of. If I'm wide awake It's a different story.
    thanks for aski'n

7. NRAJOE

Me too, decided to put a Mossberg 500a next to the bed, figured I'd wake up quicker having to pick that thing up and rack the slide!

8. jerry

USA
    Yup,
    It's all about the right tool for the job!
    BTW some thought I was a bit off center for occasionally excercising the open carry law in AZ. I only did it because I could. Haven't had the chance to do so in 8 years and may never get to again.

9. NRAJOE

Why did you leave AZ? I've been trying to get there all my life and probably never will.

10. jerry

USA
    When I separated from AD a buddy of mine hooked me up with a job. As life goes, the job didn't work out like I thought but enough good happened to hang around. I could get there, problem is I get that comfort factor going & the older I get the less I like to take chances. If your trying to get there good luck, give yourself about a year to get used to it and you will love it.

11. Condition 1. Is there any other way to carry one?

12. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Condition 1. I believe Mr. Browning designed it to be carried this way.

13. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

condition 1

Condition 1 in a Fobus. 8 round mag. 2 spares.

14. hack1911

hack1911 G&G Newbie

KY
    only one possible answer to this one, cocked and locked. I have seen some condition 3 guys though. I don't recall seeing anyone ever carry one in condition 2.

15. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

hack why did u bring up an 8 year old thread?
    cocked and locked is the way it should be

16. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

Condition 1 in a Don Hume Belt slide at 4 o'clock. McCormick 8 rd mags, flush bottom mag in the pistol and base pads on the spares.

17. woody1981

woody1981 Love Your Firearms! Forum Contributor

Exactly the way it was intended to be carried--Condition 1.

18. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

In a frikkin' case since Illinois doesn't trust it people enough for concealed.

19. Midas

Midas Chief Troll B' Gone Forum Contributor

Cocked, locked, and ready to rock!

20. larmus

larmus G&G Enthusiast

loaded, safety on...