Gun and Game Forum banner

What best describes your method of deer hunting?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
Most of my hunting is across soy bean fields. Before season starts find their routes. Before daylight get in your tree on the opposite side of the field and wait for them to come feed. Must be able to make accurate shots up to and beyond 300 yds.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Don't really see the challenge in sitting around waiting for a deer to wander within range, just my opinion.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
back when i used to bowhunt, i used to primarily stalk. now that im a gun only type, i sit on my butt and wait.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
ash said:
Don't really see the challenge in sitting around waiting for a deer to wander within range, just my opinion.
I think a lot of how you hunt depends on where you hunt. Try walking across a muddy bean field in 35%-80% weather sometime. You're not gonna stalk anything. This is logging country too. You won't find many forests that haven't been clearcut in the last ten years or so. Thick underbrush abounds.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I for the most part do the stalk. I feel more at home on my own too feet stalking, crawling and what have you. I like the old school method I guess.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
My three hunting buddies and I meet well before sun-up at our headquarters which is an old barn that's been fixed up with a few amenities such as a pot bellied stove, refrigerator, old chairs, etc. and walk about a half mile to where each of us have previously set up deer stands in a hilly area with fairly thick trees which are up to 12" in diameter with some even larger.

We've previously made absolutely sure that from where each of us sit on our deer stands that there is no way that a bullet could be sent to the area where the other tree stands are set up. These large rolling hills are perfect for deer hunting. There's plenty of grain and water nearby, and all the cover available that encourages deer to stay in that area.

·
Registered
999 Posts
walk and stalk, that's during the roar, other times for meat we spot light or drive around just on dusk, but I reckon if you going for a trophy you gotta work for it, be it sitting up a tree all day or walking around a mountain.

·
Registered
120 Posts
depends on where I am. I drive and glass, still hunt and do some "stand hunting" mostly sitting and glassing. Do alot o still hunting through thick brush. I hunt cotonwood fields whee I walk down the edge of field and glass down the rows. All depends where I go and what I'm using for a rifle

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Different strokes for different folks. Walk some, sit some, maybe even snooze
some. Nice weather, cool,crisp, walking, looking, enjoying. Bad weather, snow, windy, now that`s what i like. Easier to spot a deer. Find a spot and hunker down. Get the coffee out and enjoy the view. Deer hunting is not a job it`s a past time, so enjoy it.
" The best part of the hunt is not the harvest but in thr experience,"

·
Registered
39 Posts
I shoot alot of black powder, so I get as close as possible...Learning to stalk critters like deer just simply makes a better hunter out of you. I sometimes find it difficult not to laugh when I'm close by and they spot me...

·
Registered
99 Posts
A SPOTLIGHT DRIVING OFF A BACKROAD HAHAHAHAHHA

lol

spotlighting them on the farmers crop cause we were doin it for pest extermination
but i dont think ur aloweed to do it any more

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
burd1959 said:
more sitting than stalking i hunt a 46 acre apple orchard see 60 to 100 deer opening morning no need to walk
What State? Any special methods? Just curious because I'm planning on hunting on a friend's orchard in VT.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I drive until they jump in front of my truck. I got my second of the year that way two nights ago. Fortunately it did no damage to the truck.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
If I am deer hunting here in TN then I use a stand because the wooded areas are dense.

If I am elk hunting we drive around the zone until we see them from the dirt path and bail out. Its legal in Oregon not any different than someone on thier atv.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts