Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick question-

Got into a discussion this weekend with some guys about ammo storage.

A couple said they keep various calibers in their individual boxes. Others said they dump rounds and store them in cases.

Anyone want to offer their preference and, if willing, why that particular preference?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
4,440 Posts
I leave all my ammo in the original boxes and store it in one of those metal green gun cabinets. Seems to be doing fine. All my reloads go into sealed ammo boxes (by caliber etc.) and I keep them organized that way. I don't know if there is any advantage to taking factory ammo out of the boxes and transferring them to other storage containers.... but that's just me.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,055 Posts
Depends on what you got. The key I believe is in keeping it dry and away from excessive temperatures; I’ll define excessive as being higher than 130 or 140 F. By dry I also mean away from excessive humidity or marine environment. Obviously keep away from oil and solvents, etc.

The only argument I could see for taking ammo out of the manufacture packaging and dumping into an ammo can is that some manufacturers package ammo very inefficiently. Fr’ instance fiocchi and S&B have very compact efficient boxing while some winchesters have lots of styrofoam all around the cartridges. If you like that fine, but you might be able to get more rounds in a can without it. The fiocchi pack nicely in the ammo cans and I really couldn’t best the density much by dumping the cartridges in.

I use the metal ammo cans with gasket seal and have found these work well. If It’s longer term storage I try to close them in some type of dehumidified environment — I guess one could put a pack of silica gel in if one were overly worried. If it can be in original packaging I think that’s best — but when I reload I get ammo cans full of loose ammo which is fine too.

So long as your house doesn’t flood or the roof leak, storage in living room type conditions in a cabinet I think would be ideal. But most of us have places subject to environmentals well outside of this so for my premise I want a sealed container dry enough that there won’t be condensation when temps drop. The cardboard imho is helpful to have in original packaging inside the containers.

I did a sort of experiment with some long term stored ammo and it fires fine.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Ammo cans, but method of smaller amounts varies. 9mm P. bulk JHP is in waterproof bags in 90rd per bag.
5.56 new or reloaded is on stripper clips in bandoliers.
.308 in 20rd boxes. Wish there was a stripper clip system for the SR25 Magpul mags.
.300win mag I need more MTM case guard boxes. 50 or 100rd whatever will fit in an ammo can. Wish they'd bring back wildcamo or at least flat OD green or coyote brown.😑

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Not sure what causes metal embrittlement.
Seem 20 yro ammo brass crack.
In one case of CCI minimags they ruptured gas where the firing pin struck the case rim.
Seen cf rifle ammo crack at the case mouth.
Im thinking it was because of storage in unheated space (heated storage space comes at a premium) unheated out building ammo storage where winters temps would drop to -46°F, summers 115°F.
Storing it should be in more stable environment.

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
I have to admit that my storage "system" is a mish-mash of containers.

I do keep it all dry. 99% of it is in my basement where temp ranges from 55 to 70 and humidity averages 35% in winter and 55% in summer. (I have digital gauges on the wall to record all that).
Most factory ammo is in original boxes that are packed into the plastic ammo boxes. Those plastic boxes are not metal ammo cans but they do have a gasket and are stacked so they don't get disturbed.

My reloaded ammo is the real mish-mash. I dont have boxes for a lot of of it. I have about 8 of those square, gallon ice cream containers packed full of loose 45ACP LSWC's. Each one holds a little over 500 rounds, but I only counted the first one and lost track at "500" Exact count doesn't matter, it's a bunch - for action pistol shooting. (Caution! Don't pick up the container by the little plastic strap!)

We get doggy treats in a clear plastic, screw top jar. I pack 22LR cardboard 50 packs into those - not sure how many fit but it's a bunch. I duct tape the cover to seal it even more.

I had a light-duty, plastic tool box that I repurposed to pack my 327 Fed Magnum rounds into. It holds quite a few, those are little rounds.

All of it is stored of plywood shelves that I built with 3/4" plywood on a 2x4 supports. 18" ctr to ctr maximum suooprt spacing. No visible deflection so far but I,m sure given enough time... I'll be too old to care. Or I'll have shot it all off.

One tip - regardless of your own methods of storage - take the time to label everything. It really sucks opening everything up until you find what you want when you could tell at a glance by reading a label.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
For the most part I have left my stuff in the boxes. The 2 exceptions are 7.62X39, which I have dumped into a huge ammo can and keep about 8-10 loaded SKS stripper clips at the top. Also shotgun shells, which I sort by # and store in a special shotgun shell storage container. But not #8; I don't use those for anything in the field but I keep several boxes around just to go out and blast stuff with a shotgun from time to time. Throw a box in the car and shoot 'til it's empty.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Not sure what causes metal embrittlement.
Seem 20 yro ammo brass crack.
In one case of CCI minimags they ruptured gas where the firing pin struck the case rim.
Seen cf rifle ammo crack at the case mouth.
Im thinking it was because of storage in unheated space (heated storage space comes at a premium) unheated out building ammo storage where winters temps would drop to -46°F, summers 115°F.
Storing it should be in more stable environment.
I have ammo stored in a garage with temps running from about freezing to maybe 95 in summer. Most is in a metal cabinet. I recently found an old box of 45 acp that I loaded in 1986, the old flying ashtray 200 grain bullet with Unique powder. That is over 35 years and I have lived in 5 places since that time. I was also gone a few times on military deployments where it was just stored. I got it out just to get rid of it and try in in my new then SW Governor. Even in that short barrel revolver they averaged 898 fps, better than any of the factory ammo I tested that day. So, it seems to me that it is just pretty stable. I had several brands of 22 lr ammo stored in the same places, that had failures to fire. So, just thinking center fire is pretty stable regardless of temperature, or maybe it is just the old Unique powder.

I try to always keep them in cardboard boxes or place desiccant in the ammo cans with the ammo. I use both plastic and metal ammo cans, do not think it matters. Just want something in there to draw and moisture away from the ammo.

I also had 900 shotgun primers stored in a building and all were under water during a flood. They were highly corroded and I was just going to trash them. Just for grins, I tried a dozen in a muzzle loader, everyone of them fired, every one of them was under water for days. I read that water can destroy powder but not primers. So, I saved some of them and may load them in 410 for the grand kids just to shoot coke cans. Kids like to shoot anything that goes bang.

FWIW

·
Premium Member
155 Posts
I have milsurp ammo in their original containers. Factory ammo is in their boxes, which are in metal and plastic ammo cans. I have some metal ammo cans in larger containers. Some factory ammo in their boxes in very large containers. All are stored in the basement, which is dry. I do run the dehumidifier during summer (set at 55% humidity). All cans and large containers have gaskets. And to the wisdom of several posters.....ALL boxes, containers, cans and large containers are labeled to what calibers are in them. Absolutely saves time and sanity searching for the blammo of the day for the range activity.

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
All ammo is stored inside, surplus in original tins, boxes, crates. Reloaded stored in military .30cal, .50cal other steel ammo box, ammo is put in sandwich bags with the load specs, dessicant is dried and added. All ammo is labeled for quick aquisition.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just a quick question-

Got into a discussion this weekend with some guys about ammo storage.

A couple said they keep various calibers in their individual boxes. Others said they dump rounds and store them in cases.

Anyone want to offer their preference and, if willing, why that particular preference?

Thanks in advance!
i store mine, in thier original boxes, and keep them in a locked Craftsman wall hanging cabinet, which is actually up on cinder blocks off the floor, in my basement.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
I too use surplus ammo cans for the most part. I like to take my ammunition from the original package (if store bought) and place in the same type of plastic storage boxes I use for reloading. They pack nicely inside the metal can.

I have a "ready can" in my bedroom closet that holds several different calibers for the guns I always wear around the house. The ready can also holds spare loaded magazines.

For actual storage, I also use the ammo cans, but they are caliber specific. All of my cans have desiccant packs to keep the interior dry and I store them in various buildings throughout the property.

I always try to choose locations with the least amount of temperature swings, but sometimes that cannot be helped.

I have a neighbor who has a really good idea for long term storage. He drills two holes in ammo can and installs tire stems. He will open both stems and purge the oxygen from the can with an argon cylinder. His technique makes sense...since argon is a non-reactive gas (inert), which will retard potential problems with corrosion - - that said, I have never had issues with corrosion the way I store. I consider myself OCD, but I have yet to approach his level lol! . Perhaps I would if I were to store ammo or firearms underground.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts