Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Another quick question-

The folks who store factory ammo loose in cans, do you try to stay with the same manufacturer? If, say, 9mm, do you separate different grains?

Thanks!

·
Registered
592 Posts
I too use surplus ammo cans for the most part. I like to take my ammunition from the original package (if store bought) and place in the same type of plastic storage boxes I use for reloading. They pack nicely inside the metal can.

I have a "ready can" in my bedroom closet that holds several different calibers for the guns I always wear around the house. The ready can also holds spare loaded magazines.

For actual storage, I also use the ammo cans, but they are caliber specific. All of my cans have desiccant packs to keep the interior dry and I store them in various buildings throughout the property.

I always try to choose locations with the least amount of temperature swings, but sometimes that cannot be helped.

I have a neighbor who has a really good idea for long term storage. He drills two holes in ammo can and installs tire stems. He will open both stems and purge the oxygen from the can with an argon cylinder. His technique makes sense...since argon is a non-reactive gas (inert), which will retard potential problems with corrosion - - that said, I have never had issues with corrosion the way I store. I consider myself OCD, but I have yet to approach his level lol! . Perhaps I would if I were to store ammo or firearms underground.
I wonder if you could gain a benefit of just putting one valve stem in the ammo box and then just put 15-20 pounds of pressure in it which might keep any moisture out? Seems like an idea if you lived with high humidity.

·
Premium Member
2,840 Posts
I wonder if you could gain a benefit of just putting one valve stem in the ammo box and then just put 15-20 pounds of pressure in it which might keep any moisture out? Seems like an idea if you lived with high humidity.
I agree with maintaining a positive pressure if the cans are destined for long term storage. I need to ask him if he does that. I would think 2-3 pounds above standard atmosphere would be sufficient - - and safer.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ammo storage just keeps getting more important. If we can find it. I like to have few rounds of hot premium ammo for most of my handguns, that is Buffalo Bore or Corbon. Things just got worse. Tried to order Buffalo Bore and got this:
"Sorry, the store is temporarily closed. We still have lots of ammo in stock but, we are getting customer complaints about being behind in filling orders so, we have closed temporarily in order to catch up on filling orders. We will reopen the store Saturday morning, February 6th. Thank You!"

Yesterday I posted a similar one from Missouri Bullet company, cast bullets are not shipping for 14-16 weeks, longer for 9mm bullets.

This ammo crunch will last much longer than before in my opinion because all the civil unrest and what is happening with this pandemic. Today Fauci and some other genius said that new strains and such would start a major issue in March, heck I thought it was already pretty major. But the point is there are millions and millions of people who were not gun people before who may have had one or two but really did not think there would be a real need. Now they need them. All that krapp in Portland and beyond will not just go away. I have recently trained 2 women who never owned a gun before or had an interest. Now they are afraid.

So, now I do not just have ammo in a stash. I am now looking at perhaps some amount to call 5 years and beyond. Maybe just a few pressurized 50 cal ammo boxes? Or maybe just seal them and fill all the airspace in them with rice? When you shoot them you could eat the rice? Well maybe a little to far there, but nobody on the planet could have predicted where we are today. To say all this will just be a bad dream 2-3 years down the road is also not realistic.

·
Premium Member
3,836 Posts
What little factory stuff i have in the original boxes in the bottom of the gun cabinet
LG quantities of reloads IE 9mm 223 45acp in baggies of 100 with load data on cards, in air tight buckets
hunting ammo reloads in the plastic MTN boxes (20 or 50 counts) with labels in the bottom of gun cabinet

·
Premium Member
23,948 Posts
Just a quick question-

Got into a discussion this weekend with some guys about ammo storage.

A couple said they keep various calibers in their individual boxes. Others said they dump rounds and store them in cases.

Anyone want to offer their preference and, if willing, why that particular preference?

Thanks in advance!
Well the short answer is numerous ways...
It's all indoors under heat and A/C.
The longer answer is that I have a lot in unopened spam cans, unopened 1000 rd bulk packs, unopened bricks of 22lr and 22WMR, etc. When I do open a spam can of surplus though I am prone to stack it neatly in ammo cans and toss in a couple desiccant packs so that it is somewhat better stored than in an opened spam can. If I open a 1000 rd. bulk pack box of loose 9mm or 5.56x45 NATO, etc and shoot a few rounds, the remainder I will vacuum pack in bags of 50 or 100 rounds with a desiccant pack included and a printed label inserted also to identify the contents of each bag. Label info would include brand, caliber, bullet weight, bullet type, etc.

Another quick question-

The folks who store factory ammo loose in cans, do you try to stay with the same manufacturer? If, say, 9mm, do you separate different grains?

Thanks!
Myself I do not mix manufacturers of loose bulk ammo, nor would I mix 115gr. and 124gr fmj ammo even if it was from the same manufacturer, nor would I mix same caliber FMJ, JHP, JSP, etc ammo of the same or different manufacturers. If I was going to put any of those variables in the same can I would vacuum pack the variations separately and label them accordingly.

·
Premium Member
9,494 Posts
All in ammo cans mostly so its sealed and has the desiccant packs in each. I also have a few lockers of it separated according to caliber. The ammo cans are all mixed and will organize it and sort it out some day. I also have quite a few of the spam cans sealed. I store it in a cool place. Same temp year round, not hot and not cold.

·
Super Moderator
16,752 Posts
All in ammo cans mostly so its sealed and has the desiccant packs in each. I also have a few lockers of it separated according to caliber. The ammo cans are all mixed and will organize it and sort it out some day. I also have quite a few of the spam cans sealed. I store it in a cool place. Same temp year round, not hot and not cold.

Thats pretty much what I do. All of my long term storage, "never shoot unless its the end of the world ammo" is all still in its original boxes stacked up in big 40mm ammo cans with good seals with desiccant packets and stored in a temperature controlled environment.

All of my range ammo is just stored in its boxes in other storage tubs in an indoor environment.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I also store my ammo in surplus G.I. ammo cans. (powder & primers too) only one caliber per can except for a couple of cans of mixed odd calibers that I don't have guns that shoot them. my house is on stilts and my ammo is stored in the work shop below. my ammo stash has been submerged under as much as 4 ft. of sea water during hurricanes. all of it stayed dry except for two cans that had rust holes in the bottom from sitting on the concrete floor for years. I rinsed the cartridges off with fresh water and I'm still shooting them. ammo is more durable than most people believe. during the Klinton regime I stashed some ammo in my woods. some in G.I. ammo cans inside a welded steel box and some in a fiberglass 20mm rocket case with O ring seals. after being hidden for a few years, they went under water in Hurricane Georges. the storm blew down so many trees that it took 3-4 months before I could find my stashes. when I opened the steel box it still was about 3/4 full of salt water. I feared for the worst. when I opened the ammo cans they were bone dry! when I found the rocket box, there was no water in it but the cardboard boxes were damp and the ammo tarnished. I threw out the green corroded stuff but kept the tarnished rounds to see if they will shoot. most of them did. I don't use those boxes for ammo storage anymore.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,066 Posts
With the amount of stuff that's happened in TX and some of the homes here, I think it relevant that WHATEVER you pack ammo in, it has good gaskets and seals so that if you'd have a house with busted pipes (or inside a garage or whatever) -- or a huge rainstorm, etc, it would survive a minor amount of flooding or spray.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The military type ammo boxes, and even the plastic boxes like Plano and other companies make, work pretty good if they have the rubber seal in them.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Old paint buckets. 5 gallon oil buckets. Gallon milk jugs, Quart OJ bottles, plastic cashew and pickle jars are good. One of those full of loaded ammo is about 15 pounds or so. 25 pounds of just lead bullets.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts