Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a new safe.

I now have more long gun storage but less shelves.

Do you use magnets on the side of the safe?

Baskets?

Thanks!

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Most safe manufacturers don't recommend putting ammo in the safe. Especially if its a fireproof safe. In case of a fire the ammo can burn the contents. Not to say everyone doesn't keep one or two loaded just in case. But for bulk storage it is advisable to keep them in ammo cans outside of your safe.

·
Banned
2,746 Posts
Depending on the size of your safe and how full it is - a loaded magazine in the rifle or pistol itself and perhaps an extra one on the shelf is all you really need as far as "ready ammo". Extra magazines can be kept somewhere nearby such as in a dresser drawer if you are concerned about having additional ammo handy. While it's true that gunpowder burns - ammo does not "pop off" as one sees in the movies with any amount of force when heat is applied. This is because the case is not enclosed in a chamber so as to drive the pressure upward. Loose ammo in a fire will merely pop apart and what little powder is in it will rapidly burn. Ammo in a metal magazine will react not much different than ammo in a metal ammo can - it will pop apart and fizzle. I would be more concerned in a fire with melting polymer magazines and firearm parts as far as damage than with a handful of powder. o_O

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
How do you store you magazines?

Full ones are in the mag pouches of the rifle's tactical bag, or the pistol belt rig. Some loaded rifle mags are in ammo cans. Empty ones are in a locked steel box.

Reactions: PAPA G and neophyte

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I have a few 8 partition pouches I bought on ebay once. They are good for my 9mm, 10mm, and .45 mags. I have smaller pouches for .380, 7.62X25, and 9X18 Mak mags. I have a few six partition pouches for my 2 .22 pistols. I can actually fit two Browning Buckmark mags in each partition. My 10 and 30 round Saiga .223 mags go in a range bag. My 10 and 30 round AR mags actually all fit in the tactical rifle bag I keep the AR in.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a few 8 partition pouches I bought on ebay once. They are good for my 9mm, 10mm, and .45 mags. I have smaller pouches for .380, 7.62X25, and 9X18 Mak mags. I have a few six partition pouches for my 2 .22 pistols. I can actually fit two Browning Buckmark mags in each partition. My 10 and 30 round Saiga .223 mags go in a range bag. My 10 and 30 round AR mags actually all fit in the tactical rifle bag I keep the AR in.
Can you post a pic of the partition pouches you use? I like that idea.

·
Banned
222 Posts
I store them in a safe place

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I keep 'em loaded and in the safe.

·
Super Moderator
11,718 Posts
Just in case there are any nefarious amm 'clippers' that have snuck in....I
keep my ammo at the tip top of this tower....
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Plant Natural landscape

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I keep a "few" mags taped together ready to use and just flip 'em. "Rambo" style.

With a LOT of loaded magazines stored or even just carrying and extra in your pocket they can get dirt in them, dropped, ammo knocked out. You can get little plastic things to put over them like a cap made for it. It is OK for hunting when I might carry a couple ten round magazines.

I had occasion to WANT a hundred rounds handy and laying in the seat of the truck all day next to the rifle and the day sort of reminded me or brought back and old habit of pulling off 6 or 8 inches of duct tape, fold over and inch at each end and the just tape over the end to keep ammo in there and clean in transport. If you need it you can easily rip off that tape grabbing the "pull tab" you made before putting it on there. Easier to use and cheaper than buying ten plastic "caps" to put on them all and the fuss over losing them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts