Premium Member
30,668 Posts
pull on the round knob and turn.
it's hard to do.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Hello,

There is a knob on the back of the bolt. You need to pull that toward you - away from the chamber - and rotate it counter-clockwise for "on safe" and clockwise for "off safe."

This can sometimes be challenging, and it helps some people if the butt plate is seated in the elbow crook while the arm is bent.

Try it unloaded first; if it's engaged, you will not be able to open the bolt.

Once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy to do as a habit.

Josh <><

Sorry, Billy - didn't mean to cross post ya'.

Josh <><

·
Registered
397 Posts
Those two got it right. It was pretty hard at first, but you get the hang of it. Mine got easier to pull with time. Pretty simple design.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's easier to do it at first if you put the buttplate against the biceps of your bent arm and work the knob with that hand, like Josh said. Works well when it's against your shoulder, too. Really, though, the mainspring of a Mosin is only about 19-22 lbs. of compressed force. Any grown man without serious hand arthritis or neuromuscular disease ought to be able to handle that easily.

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Hey Mosin shooter. Be careful about learning how to do that safety. It cost me room in my gun safe. The elbow trick does work. Also, I find that the knobs on the 44s are smaller and seem to be harder to work than on the 91/30s. If it is still hard for you people do weld rings onto the knobs. Not sure if that would make it easier or not but at least they may be easier to grab onto.

Welcome to mosinitis!

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I wanted to apologize to the thread for my response above. Caught me at a bad moment and I feel I lowered myself to his level. The spirit of this forum is to be friendly, respectful and encouraging to all. With this in mind I offer my apology.:sorry:

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
Thanks

·
Registered
209 Posts
as they all said safety is easy to use once u get used to it. And if you dont like the safety on the gun just remove the bolt and slip it into your pocket. then the gun can't be fired at all.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A plus side though, is that when used properly, the mosin safety can be one of the quietest safeties around.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts