Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m probably going to scope my Spanish Mauser with a long eye-relief scope, an NcStar 2-7x32 pistol scope using S&K Insta Mounts:

Has anyone used a 7mm Mauser on deer with a similar scope setup? The reason I’ll go with the zoom lens is to be able to adjust the looong eye relief for most comfortable and quick shooting.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been down thi road before.

Thanks

·
Registered
981 Posts
While they are a bit clunky in their natural form, all the mil-surp rifles are capable deer rifles.

The 7mm Mauser is actually one of the better deer rounds available, even if the paper ballistics aren't as hot rod as calibers we are used to. The 175 grn round nose would be my choice for anything with tough hide, or a 140 grn controlled expansion premium bullet if you handload.

I carried my 8mm Yugo 48 quite a few times and I did have a similar mount on my 8mm Turkish for some time, but I converted it back to mil-spec; nice option for the non-drill/tap mount setups. Either one I would trust to handle deer, pig or black bear.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't know anything on the rifle. The 7x57 is a well tried round with many years behind it. As for the type of scope set up you pic'd,,,,long ER pistol scope may not work the best. You may want to look into the intermediate ER's. I just think the LER may be too long. Something with an ER the 8-12"-14"+ range. Most pistol LER's start above that 14-16" if not more, out to 20 something +". If you get one that don't somewhat match up, well it'll be a problem.
Unfortunately, there just aren't many that make them to choose from. The other option would be a red-dot type or holo.
Might find IER in the used market somwhere in your price range however.
Dave

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
I'm assuming we're talking about mil-surp
7mm's. A friend has a M95 7mm and has
killed several deer with it. It is original
and cumbersome with its long barrel
but works good.

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
The 7mm mauser cartridge is

historically well proven since the latter 1800's if memory of my readings still holds. It has been an excellent military and civilian catridge.
One of my two favorite cartridges is the 7mm/08 and I would shoot the 7mm mauser if it were readily available. It will be excellent for you in the field. Many deer and deer sized game have been taken with it in Europe, South American, and North America.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the response, guys. I think the 7mm Mauser will make a nice deer rifle.

Metronome:
>I did have a similar mount on my 8mm Turkish for some time
Did the long eye-relief give you much grief? Did it take much extra time to locate the thru-scope image when you were in a hurry to throw up and shoot?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Thanks for all the response, guys. I think the 7mm Mauser will make a nice deer rifle.

Metronome:
>I did have a similar mount on my 8mm Turkish for some time
Did the long eye-relief give you much grief? Did it take much extra time to locate the thru-scope image when you were in a hurry to throw up and shoot?
Actually I used a red-dot because I had the same issues finding a good scope without ordering/returning multiple scopes. Really it was a bit counter productive as the red dot was for quick on target stuff and the 30" barrel was like rowing a boat...

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, Metronome. Just the kind of real-world info I need...

Has anyone tried the 1-7x32 NcStar "pistol and extended eye relief" scope suggested by S&K, mounted to replace the conventional rear sight on a Mauser?

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
You would be surprised at how many Hunting magazine writer's use that caliber.

Check the net. It's one of the best ...A.H

Edit: I just noticed I rolled over to 11000 post...WOW !

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
Kamanjaro Bell used a7x57 Mauser to kill hndreds of elephants when he was an ivory hunter so I guess it might be ok for deer.

·
Master Gunsmith
2,119 Posts
I have and shoot 4 different rifles of the 7mm round, I shoot 120 balistic tip in the 7 x57 and 139 balistic in my 7 x57 AI and have never had a deer move more than about 20 yrds after being shot with any of them. IMHO they are one of the very best deer calibers that is to be had. Just my opinion.
Steve

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
My 7mm mauser is a sporterized version it is a savage beast of a game killer I have killed hogs,deer and 1 very big elk on the grounds of Fort Riley I got picked in a lottery drawing in 2000 they all were no contest for the mauser . Good luck with yours. This is a gun woth spending the money on to sporterize if you don't mind destroying a peace of history that is. Mine was allready done when I bought it in 1993 I beleive , I'd Have to check the book to be sure of purchuse price and date .

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks KansasCoyote. My 7mm Spanish Mauser's stock was already cut down a bit when I bought it. So much for destroying history, although I could get a replacement stock. The S&K scout scope mount requires no drilling, so I'm still good, I think.

The scope and mount add about $130, so I'm encouraged by letters like yours that I will really enjoy it as a deer gun.

I really don't think it has ever been fired, as there is so little sign of wear. The bolt number does not match, so a friend is cleaning the bore and maybe I won't have to get it headspaced. It is one of the early ones, with the gas escape vent machined into the rear of the chamber. At first I didn't like the little vent, but it is so funky that I've begun to love it.

Speaking of headspacing: I have a micrometer, and can put 0.0025 inches of tape on the back of the bullet. If the bolt closes I'll add tape until it does not close. If I have to add more than 0.005 inches of tape, that would mean the headspace is excessive and an expensive repair is called for, RIGHT?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
The 6.5x55mm and 7mm Mauser were used for elephant hunting,but with FMJ bullets.Since they were only after ivory they didn't care how many times they shot or if they had to watch for vultures a week later to get the ivory.Virtually no elephant died immediately or even in the same day.These were not hunters,they were murderers and ivory collectors.As to the 7mm Mauser,with frangible bullets it is a great deer/antelope/black bear round,and some of the old Mausers were highly accurate as issued. sam.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Speaking of headspacing: I have a micrometer, and can put 0.0025 inches of tape on the back of the bullet. If the bolt closes I'll add tape until it does not close. If I have to add more than 0.005 inches of tape, that would mean the headspace is excessive and an expensive repair is called for, RIGHT?
Head space is measured from the mid point of the shoulder. Your method would be a WAG as best. Head space gauges are available from Midway and others and compared to a catastrophic action failure, are dirt cheap.

Do yourself, and your family, a favor and either have a smith check it or buy the gauges and learn how to use them correctly.

Something else to consider. Depending upon what I am looking for I pocket the appropriate gauges and take them to the gunshow. If a vendor won't let me check head space, I figure they don't want to sell it badly enough. Helps me to buy shooters instead of money pits.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the heavier bullets for my 7mm Spanish Mauser deer rifle. I figure I better stock up on ammo now. I want to buy 1000 rounds, so can anyone suggest a good reliable vendor?

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I've got a Spanish 7mm I use for a knock around truck gun. I wouldn't spend any money on one, especially the kind of money it takes to sporterize one. The receivers aren't heat treated and won't hold up to anything beyond mild .308 loads.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
I’m probably going to scope my Spanish Mauser with a long eye-relief scope, an NcStar 2-7x32 pistol scope using S&K Insta Mounts:

Has anyone used a 7mm Mauser on deer with a similar scope setup? The reason I’ll go with the zoom lens is to be able to adjust the looong eye relief for most comfortable and quick shooting.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has been down thi road before.

Thanks
It is a great deer caliber. I personally have adopted the 7mm-08 which is the ballistic twin to the 7x57.:)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts