Gun and Game Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I have not found any 7mm mauser bulk ammo that figured to be much less than buying S&B from midway or finding some on the cheap on gunbroker. But that doesn't mean its not out there .

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
The 6.5x55mm and 7mm Mauser were used for elephant hunting,but with FMJ bullets.Since they were only after ivory they didn't care how many times they shot or if they had to watch for vultures a week later to get the ivory.Virtually no elephant died immediately or even in the same day.These were not hunters,they were murderers and ivory collectors.As to the 7mm Mauser,with frangible bullets it is a great deer/antelope/black bear round,and some of the old Mausers were highly accurate as issued. sam.
You know not of what you write. Bell used a 6.5x54MS and a 7x57 to kill many elephants. He was an exceptional shot and also was hunting elephants that had not been hunted before. Most of his shooting was in the 10-15 ft range and brain shots which resulted in the animals going down instantly. Read bell's and Taylor's books to gain some knowledge.

·
Registered
155 Posts
56 deer and counting, I use a Ruger 7x57 Mauser. 175 Grain round nose Hornaday soft points and a healthy dose of IMR 3031 Kills deer from 50ft to 350 Yds. Majority were bang flop.:biggthumpup:
Russ

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
The 6.5x55mm and 7mm Mauser were used for elephant hunting,but with FMJ bullets.Since they were only after ivory they didn't care how many times they shot or if they had to watch for vultures a week later to get the ivory.Virtually no elephant died immediately or even in the same day.These were not hunters,they were murderers and ivory collectors.As to the 7mm Mauser,with frangible bullets it is a great deer/antelope/black bear round,and some of the old Mausers were highly accurate as issued. sam.
Bell was not a muderer. He was an excellent shot that put the bullet where it needed to be placed in the Elephant's skull. A 7mm put in the right spot has and will kill anything walking the earth. It was a matter of public record that an Alaskan Ranger used to kill problem Grizzlies at dumps with a 22 Hornet. 100% bang-flop kills.

·
Super Moderator
11,544 Posts
Finn Aagaard and many others swore by it. If you are a handloader, you can use it to its full potential. On par with a 7mm08. A finer deer cartridge was never made, and wonderful to practice with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My very first deer rifle back in 1969 was a Spanish 7×57 from the local hardware store. Did a mild D.I.Y. sporter job with Williams peeps & a Remington post up front. I kept my reloads mild and killed a small buck with it. Years later, I purchased a new Ruger 77 Mark II in that caliber. My absolute favorite as it outshoots my .308, .280 Rem, 7mm mag and even my .243 at moderate ranges. Plain old 139gr. Hornady interlocks have never failed me in the woods. Love this caliber & deadly on whitetails.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts