How Hot Is Too Hot?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dookiebutt, May 10, 2008.

1. It's ribs again this weekend. I have the grill going and I turned them for the first time. This time I used a digital thermometer in the grill to see how hot my indirect heat gets.

Depending on how windy it gets, I can hold it around 260 degrees. Is that too hot? Not hot enough? I have the inside burners turned off and the outside burners turned to low. I have the ribs on two racks, one low and on high.

Thanks in advance.

2. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

That is a perfect temp for cooking them for about 3 hours. They will come out very tender. What I do when I have them on the grill in indirect heat is put some smoking wood in there for the duration. Normally it is peeled green alder placed in a cast iron smoker bow directly over the flame, I keep it smoking the whole time. Yummy !

3. I don't know what to tell you on how long to cook the ribs. But 260 degrees is ideal.
    When you can pull a bone from the rib easily, it's time to Holler...Let's Eat !!!

4. We ain't got no Yankee trees around these parts. Try Pecan for good smoke. For something different soak Pecan in beer then use it for smoke.

5. I think any good hard wood will work. I've even used sweetgum.

6. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i dont think ive ever seen a sweetgum tree.

7. mos19k

mos19k Guest

I like using hardwood fruit trees such as, mango, apple, cherry, guava and even starfruit. Most of these woods impart a sweet smoky flavor which is great for pork and chicken, also works well for goat and mutton. I've never checked the temperature when I use indirect heat I just put the coals on the far side of the grill/smoker and 3-4 hours later it's done. When I roast a whole pig it takes about 10 hours.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My shootin' buddy's BIL is a big outdoor cooker hereabouts - cooks for his church, and for any local event that wants him - and he's in demand! I scored him for our January motorcycle rally - he made Southern Grilled believers of a bunch of Yankee riders! :)
    He likes to cook his meat over about four hours - slow cooking is his specialty.
    He uses cherry and apple wood for smoking - any fruiting tree wood works well.
    If the meat gets too hot, it gets too dry. John's meat falls off the bone. I didn't have much leftovers to take home! I sure had a passle of Baked Beans to eat that week though. Don't y'all up north eat Baked Beans? :scool:

9. How hot is too hot? I go by the rule if I eat it and the person sitting next to me burst into flames then I might need to back it off. Sorry I was thinking of spices.

10. billy a sweet gum tree is also called a Gum ball tree LOL

Edit : I think turpintine comes from sweet gum trees or gum tree's

11. This talk about ribs is making me want to go to Hillary's, a great rib joint by me. lol MMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMM GOOOOOOOD. Get me a rib tip dinner and tell 'em to soak the fries in some o dat special BBQ sauce.

To bad they're closed.

12. We get turpentine from pine trees. here is what wikipedia says.
    It is a medium-sized to large tree, growing to 20-35 m (exceptionally 41 m) tall, with a trunk up to 2 m diameter. The leaves are palmately lobed, 7-19 cm (rarely to 25 cm) long and broad and with a 6-10 cm petiole, looking somewhat similar to those of some maples. They have five sharply pointed lobes, but are easily distinguished from maples in being arranged alternately, not in opposite pairs. They are a rich dark green and glossy, and in most cases turn brilliant orange, red, and purple colors in the autumn. A small percentage of trees are evergreen or semi-evergreen, with negligible fall color. The roots are fibrous; juices are balsamic.
    The starry five-pointed leaves of the Liquidambar suggest the Sugar Maple, and its fruit balls as they hang upon their long stems resemble those of the Buttonwood. The distinguishing mark of the tree, however, is the peculiar appearance of its small branches and twigs. The bark attaches itself to these in plates edgewise instead of laterally, and a piece of the leafless branch with the aid of a little imagination readily takes on a reptilian form; indeed, the tree is sometimes called Alligator-wood.[1]

13. Image of sweetgum tree leaf/leaves.

[​IMG]

14. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Ive always kept mine at 220 for 6 hours. Next time, I'm gonna try your guys 260 recommendation and start checking at 4 hours. Maybe I can cut the cooking time and keep the tenderness I like.

15. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Low and slow be da way to go.