How is the South African Ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Stock Doc, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Stock Doc

Stock Doc Super Moderator

I'm looking at getting some South African 55 gr for my M16 1in7 twist turned DPMS AR-15. Anyone try this stuff and what are the results? Thanks Rick B;)

2. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Rick , if I remember right then you should use 62gr bullets with a 1 in 7 twist. The 55gr will work in 1in 9 and 1 in 12 barrels. As far as the SA ammo in general, it goes bang and is OK in my Bushmaster.

3. Stock Doc

Thanks Mike I haven't had one of these for 12 years and had to build one to get another. My old one was a Colt Sporter H-BAR and I forgot what I shot in it. I think it was all Lake City I had back then. Rick B

4. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    A friend of mine uses South African ammo in his AR. It is good blastin' ammo but it kinda smells bad...Not too pricey either.

5. Stock Doc

I just ordered a case 1000rd of Wolf 62 grain for $122 shipped. This is a few dollars less than amoman's stuff. I'll see how this stuff shoots since they boast about it. It is Russian. Thanks,,Rick B

6. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

hey stock,
    just a heads up, i heard a some guys say that they had problems with wolf in their ar's because of the laquer coating on the ammo. once it starts getting hot it supposedly leaves a coating inside the gun. for what it's worth, i hae shot the south african stuff and hae no complaints whatsoeer (especially from mr. wallet)

7. Stock Doc

I hope this isnt a problem? Anyone else run into this? Thanks for the warning guess I will have to see now if this happens? I am also firing it slow not rapid hopefully this will slow the heat down a bit. Rick B

8. ananab

ananab G&G Newbie

i bought about 100 rounds of wolf at a show and had feed problems, only to deduce that it was actually the magazine that was to blame, but at the time iwas remembering all the stuff i was told about the wolf ("it's cheap, but it's your gun..") etc. i will say this, i don't think you can go wrong with the s.a. stuff.

9. nspark56

nspark56 G&G Newbie

As an AR lover and shooter, (I have 3), I don't understand why a person would spend 700 to over $1000 for a rifle, then go look for cheap ammo for it. Russian ammo, Wolf ect., is steel cased and coated with lacquer. When the barrell gets hot, the lacquer starts to melt and clings to the chamber. After the barrell cools down, you have a coating of this junk in the chamber that is VERY hard to get out. Spend a little more, and buy brass case brand name ammo. So. African is probably the bottom of the list of decent ammo, and it goes up from there. You can find Winchester for about $4.00 a box, also several other brands.
    If you are shooting an AK or SKS, then Wolf is ok, because of the loose tolerances in the chambers. One more thing, steal case ammo is very hard on the extractor end ejector of your expensive rifle

10. Stock Doc

Good point and well taken. Thanks,,Rick

11. WyrTwister

WyrTwister G&G Newbie

I have heard that if it is Wolf steel case , it is hard on extractors .

Wyr
    God Bless

12. I got the s.african in the brown boxes (some are in battle paks) boxer primed; they shoot just great.

13. Stock Doc

I called today since the Wolf stuff was on back order when I called it in and changed my order over to the SA stuff. This is for plinking only so I hope it to be ok.
    Thanks for all the help everyone sounds like I was saved from some possible aggravation. Now will this stuff cause problems with accuracy terribly being only 55gr's instead of 62 with it being a 1 in 7 twist? Thanks again,,Rick B

14. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

Stock Doc, there was a FAQ at AR15.com covering ammo/twist/etc.

15. j schwindler

j schwindler G&G Newbie

I have heard of some problems with South African a few years back but it was stuff that came in battlepacks and there is different SA out there.

I would stay away from Wolf.

There shouldn't be any problems shooting 55 grain from a 1/7 twist unless it is thin jacketed stuff. Overstabilization isn't much of a problem. Check out Greenhill's formula for a general rule

Last edited: Mar 27, 2002
  16. m14nut

m14nut G&G Newbie

NJ
    I busted an extractor shootin' that steel case sh*t. Shame on me! After that [2years ago] I load my own or buy the South Afr. or the Guatalmalin{sp} surplus. Berdan non -corr. and take the brass to the junkman - get the money for the brass[2 spackle buckets] and buy more ammo!!!!!!! a vicious cycle.:D

17. jimr

jimr G&G Newbie

ohio
    what kind of groups can be expected at 100 yds with this ammo and a good bushmaster? or is it just plain plinking stuff?

18. MikeC

MikeC G&G Newbie

jimr, it has been a while since i had the bushy out but i remember 3' groups at 50 yards. of course, these were the first rounds fired out of the rifle. zero malfunctions out of 100 or so fired. i really need to get back to the outdoor range.......