How Many FBI Agents are there ????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Mooseman684, May 1, 2008.

1. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Winchester Ammunition was recently awarded subsequent contracts with the FBI for .40 S&W and 9MM ammo...worth....are you ready for this ???
    108 Million Dollars over 5 Years !!!:bigeyes:
    That is 54 Million rounds More or less estimated at .50 cents a round...
    Comments ?

2. Comment > I'm not one bit surprised. Why, People generally don't have a problem spending money that is in essence someone else's. lol Oh and also, if that's the budget they get or have, you can count on them spending every penny of it. Why, because if they don't they'll get less the following year and if they do, they'll more than likely get more and the reason they'll give is the stuff now costs more.
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

3. Do you know what type of 9mm Winchester ammo the F.B.I. is going to be using? Do you have any links to this info?
    Thanks

:usa:

4. Wait, is this for the service stuff only? I am curious to know about that.

My dad is in his final year (assuming he doesn't get an extension) with the Bureau.

He still is carrying Speer Gold Dot and picked up another box of Speer Gold Dots at his last firearms training (less than a month ago). I am sure that they will swap out the rest of their Speer Gold Dots and begin rotating in the new Winchester service ammo soon.

Their practice ammo is 165gr Winchester FMJ and has been for some time. They shoot a few hundred rounds of this at "firearms" every 6 months. In addition, most agents take a couple of boxes of ammo home with them afterwards for duty and personal practice (maybe one box of service ammo and one or two boxes of FMJ practice stuff). He did say that with the price of ammo going up they have started to slowly tighten up on how much ammo they give out recently.

They must also qualify with personally owned FBI approved firearms. Depending on their scores, they may have to qualify again. I think he said that if you get a 90, you only have to qualify once. If you get an 80-89 you have to do it twice at that score or higher. My dad says he is thinks he is average. He gets a 90 about half of the time.

Some of the not so good shooters (mostly women, but some men) have troubles with their scores and have to spend a considerable amount of extra time trying to get satisfactory scores so that they can carry their weapons...

This doesn't include long guns, which they shoot a lot of. MP5's in 9mm and 10mm...

My dad told me something interesting recently. He said that they are gonna be using AR15's chambered in .40 soon. I've never heard of such a beast, although I don't really doubt it. The 10mm MP5's were made as a special order for the FBI.

Obviously, the FBI is now starting to issue the LAR-15's (by RRA) that they were part of with the DEA contract for RRA rifles. I believe they are issuing the 62 Federal Bonded Tactical load (LE only). He brought a box home to show me recently.

Some agents carry Sig's (they are trying to phase these out), others can carry 1911's (mostly the HRT/SWAT guys). Most carry Glocks in .40 (obviously).

My dad had a Glock 23 (2nd gen) for quite some time and they wanted him to trade it in for a G22 (3rd gen). He fought it as long as he could, but at his last firearms training he lost the front sight on it (they all have Trijicon Night Sites). Since getting a firearm worked on requires the gun to be turned in to the gunsmiths at Quantico, he had to finally give it back to them. Now he has been issued a Glock 22 3rd gen like they had wanted to issue him. My brother and I went with him to help break it in a few weeks ago. It worked great (a little big for me personally). He carries his own personal G27 usually though.

Some still carry 9mm's (my dad used to carry a personally owned G26 until a few years back), 10mm, and .45's on duty (and thus they have to qualify with them regularly), so the FBI stocks all of these calibers for their agents.

Sorry for rambling. I find that information interesting and entertaining. Thought others might as well. I think it's somewhat relevant.

Last edited: May 1, 2008
  5. Seabeescotty

Seabeescotty G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

The more you shoot, the better you get, but you have to keep it up. I don't have a problem withthem burnig up ammo, so they don't have accidents in the field. Our military needs to do more of that, according to some active duty folks I've talked to.

6. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

hmm Id rather carry a Sig than a glock.

7. Marine1

Marine1 Guest

Long before automatics were considered for departmental adoption, back in the 1970's, the US Treasury Dept and FBI packed S&W Model 66-67 stainless wheel guns. In those days all of these guns were allocated to the government, and very few for private sales (without the logo's, of course).

All of these guns, I was privy to examine, were marked with the agencies namestyle (ie) FBI, ATF, (etc) on the side-plates of these wheelies, where the S&W logo appears. Agents indicated to me..the weapon and serial number was issued "one time only, to each individual agent". Once an agent left the Bureau, the weapon was removed from service, and destroyed.

As I recall, the side-plates with these markings were worth up to $1,000.00 (collector value) at that time. Two of my friends were with both of these agencies. Do you know if your Dad's Glock is marked in this fashion, today. Just curious, if the government is still using this marking procedure today.... or not?

8. To answer the original question...

From FBI.gov

9. The only agents that are allowed to carry Sigs are those agents that were in the Bureau at the time they were issued and approved and have had them grandfathered in to the system. For instance, my dad has a friend in there who carries a Sig. They want her to give it to them and have her switch it out for a Glock, but the Sig is what she is used to and she will be forced to retire in a year or two anyways.

I prefer the Glock, personally. Sig makes a good handgun, but I never cared for them. My dad happily switched to the Glock as well. With every service gun he had, he has had a personal gun in that caliber as well. When he was issued a Model 10, he had a personally owned one as well. He also had a snub nose .38 (649 Smith) which he still has, he sold the model 10 when the Bureau switched away.

Then he bought a P226 when the Bureau was issuing Sigs. He sold it to his brother when they went with the Glock. Then he bought a Glock 26 and a Glock 27. He sold the 26 (to my brother) and kept the 27.

10. Let's see: using Rich's figures. it's 54 million rounds for roughly 13,000 agents, for five years. That's about 83 rounds per agent per year. Sounds reasonable to me; I can burn up more than that in a weekend, and I don't carry a gun for a living. If I did, I'd be practicing regularly.

11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I got 830 per agent per year using those figures, but I personally shoot a fair bit more than that as well (and I'm not a cop but certainly do carry a gun when I can). My math's sometimes suspect as well......

Sorry, not trying to be trivial....

12. It must be service ammo only then, because they need more than 83 rounds per agent for the training requirements and they already use Winchester FMJ for practice.

Not to mention the HRT/SWAT guys burn through way more ammo in a year than the standard agent in training.

13. My dad told me something interesting recently. He said that they are gonna be using AR15's chambered in .40 soon. I've never heard of such a beast, although I don't really doubt it. The 10mm MP5's were made as a special order for the FBI.

This is probably for civil unrest and urban situations. The 40 S&W AR 15's

14. 54,000,000 rounds divided by 12,590 agents comes to 4,289.1 rounds per agent.

4,289.1 rounds per agent split over 5 years comes to 857.8 rounds per agent per year over five years.

Troy 2000, you did the math based on 5.4 million. You forgot a zero.

15. My bad; I dropped a zero when I was pounding on the calculator. I was using 5.4 million, not 54 million.

I wouldn't necessarily call missing the number by an order of ten trivial...:)

16. So is this strictly for on the job ammo or for practicing? Or is that a totally different $$$$$ amount? lol Has to be for on the job. I don't hear about that many FBI related shootings?

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

That's only about 69.25 rounds per month. How do you shoot a quarter of a round?:09:

18. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Ask ms. klinton -- maybe those snipers in the former Yugoslavia were shooting only a quarter of a round and that's why no one can back up the story.

19. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Hmmmmm! Could be. LOL!:09: