How many load their own deer ammo?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by quavodus, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Becks42

Becks42 G&G Enthusiast

NW PA
    I load for both myself and my son. For hunting 2 - 6.5 Creedmoor with H4350 and Sierra GameKing 140 gr. SBT.

I did recently get some Winchester StaBALL 6.5 that I am going to make some loads up for and try out as well.

Not too mention, I also reload for our pistols as well.

2. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

turns their heart & lungs to red mush. Jan. kids & buck 003.jpg

3. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I shoot Mule Deer with Flint Lock rifles and Ctg handguns and rifles.
    I reload everything and make cast powder coated and jacked bullets. Deer hunting with any legal caliber properly reloaded is sufficient. :)

K75RT, blaster and Ranger4 like this.
  4. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Like your camo job. Is that one of the government models or is the flash suppressor one of the aftermarket ones like the Choate? I like the M14 look, does that flash suppressor help with the accuracy? Some people says you can tune the rifle vibrations just like with the "Boss" brand and improve accuracy. I am curious if it helps. Thanks.

blaster likes this.
  5. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I have put those "M-14" type flash hiders on all my Mini 14 s. except the one chambered in 300 Black Out. it carries a suppressor. until I joined this forum I never thought of the Mini 14 to be in accurate. my guess is that the long flash hider adds weight to the muzzle and tones down the barrel harmonics. on my stainless Mini, the flash hider is held on by a set screw not pinned. once at the range, it came off while shooting. I didn't notice until my shot string was done. on the target, the group opened up dramatically! so I think the flash hiders do help.

Jim Bridger likes this.
  6. Ranger4

Ranger4 G&G Evangelist

Thanks, good to know. I will try one of those, do you have a recommendation for the pin-on?
    Personally, I prefer the mini platform over the Ars. I carried ARs in the military and carried a mini 14 in law enforcement. Thanks for the info.

blaster likes this.
  7. Jim Bridger

Jim Bridger G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have owned 3 Mini 14 rifles. They suffered from vibration and heat problems. I understand the New Mini 14 are much improved.

K75RT and blaster like this.
  8. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

my two 5.56 Minis are both older models. (early '80s) I don't remember where I got the pinned on flash hider on the blued one in the picture with the deer. at the time I was buying a lot of Mini 14 stuff from Federal Ordinance, who used to advertise in Shotgun News. its a good chance I got it there. I don't think Fed Ord. is still in business. the stainless Mini came with a flash hider/bayonet mount. an M-16 bayonet fits on it. ppks 007.jpg ppks 005.jpg the 300 Black Out Mini 14 is only a couple years old and has a heavy barrel.

K75RT and Jim Bridger like this.