close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many M-1917s in the house?

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Brutus, Jun 28, 2013.

1. I just picked up my first one last Friday. (I always say 'first' when I refer to new guns because I know at some point I'll end up with another of the same model.....LOL)

Don't have any pics yet as my camera crapped out a couple of months ago, but it's an Eddystone made in October of 1918 with a September of 1918 Eddystone barrel. It's well-worn, but serviceable. No rust or other major issues. It's missing a few parts (front handguard, front band and f.b. screw) that can be had for about $30.

I just know that when folks say "Enfield" the first ones to come to mind are the Brit, Aussie, Canadian, and Savage Lend-Lease rifles, but when their memory is jogged they remember the P-14 and M-1917.

How 'bout it?

:)

2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    ive got a lend lease 1917 thats still wearing its red paint, and a P-14. great rifles.

3. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  4. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

alas! i lack one of them bad boys. i am looking for donations to Papa G's House of Wayward Rifles though!;)

5. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Until I recently bought all the parts to put a Garand together my 1917 was the only 30-06 in the safe. I have had it 20 plus years and have put quite a few rounds thru it. It shoots very nice and after shooting an A3-03 I like the 1917 better.

tim

6. HK770

HK770 G&G Enthusiast

Winchester in 42000 range had a sewer pipe barrel. now sports a new one and it does hit where pointed.

Attached Files:

7. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

M1917 EDDYSTONE Pb.InitEventQueue.addToDomReady(function() { (new Pb.Component.Media.Media({ 'currentTarget': Pb.Data.Shared.get(Pb.Data.Shared.MEDIA), 'canEdit': false, 'showPagination': true, 'canCopy': true })); }); M1917 ENFIELD EDDYSTONE 30-06 5 SHOT BOLT ACTION RIFLE This rifle was issued to the US Army during WWII in 1917. I also have the original GI (Remington) M1917 bayonet and scabbard made in 1913 - See more at: M1917 EDDYSTONE Photo by sniper762 | Photobucket

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll63/sniper762/GUNS/M1917EDDYSTONE.jpg

8. hfreyer

hfreyer G&G Regular Forum Contributor

M1917

Here's mine. Bought in a pawn shop for $350.

Attached Files:

9. Thanks for the links, Joker.

That was some interesting and worthwhile reading.

:)

10. BigCaneSwift

BigCaneSwift G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I have a Remington 1917 made by Remington in July 1918. I bought at LGS for 100 bucks about 20 years ago.

11. Yup I have one.

Its right there between the 03A3 and the 30-40 Krag. Third from the left.
    Its an Eddystone. Paid $250 for it.

[​IMG]

12. Those M1917s were bought and paid for. That is to say they were NOT Lend Lease.

The vast majority of the rifles arrived in Summer 1940 and were primarily used to arm the Home Guard; the Lend Lease Act was March 1941.

BTW, I am looking for one of them in the UK. Preferably one that still has it's red stripes, which mean: "non-standard calibre"

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    they may have been bought and paid for, but they were part of the U.S. Lend Lease program. mine is a canadian-danish LL rifle.

14. Forgive me but how can they have been bought and paid for (by us) AND be part of Lend Lease?

Second how can they be part of Lend Lease if their shipment pre-dated the Act? (Which it did.)

There seems to be a line of though that ALL equipment supplied to the UK during WWII was Lend Lease. This is just not the case.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  15. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    you do realize, that the lend-lease act encompassed much more than just england. also the word LEASE implies that $$$$$ changed hands. the whole Lend lease deal was just terminology so the US could sell weaponry to other countries without "actively engaging" in the war itself.
    now i do sort of get your ire, as it always irks me a tad when people refer to their 1943 savage made lee-enfield as a lend lease when the lend lease act vanished with the US entry into the war in dec 1941.

16. TheJoker

"Paid for..." "Ended in 1941..."

"There was no charge for the Lend Lease aid delivered during the war. Congress had not authorized the gift of supplies delivered after the cutoff date, so Washington charged for them, usually at a 90% discount. Large quantities of undelivered goods were in Britain or in transit when Lend-Lease terminated on 2 September 1945."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lend-Lease

Oh, I got one more...cause I still fancy my 1943 Savage Enfield as a "Lend-Lease rifle".

"Savage continued to make the No. 4 under the auspices of lend-lease agreements. The lend-lease Savage-made rifles were marked “U.S. Property.” Long Branch Arsenal, located near Toronto in Ontario, Canada, produced about 330,000 No. 4 Mk I and I* rifles."

http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2203&cid=8

:popcorn:

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  17. My point exactly. Those M1917s were delivered to the UK prior to that date and were bought and paid for by the British Purchasing Commission. They were not: lent, leased, or given.

18. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    they werent all sent/lent/given to the United kingdom. many other countries recieved aid through the lend lease program (whether they were sold or given is really immaterial). the lend lease program was a NAME given to a program to get arms into the hands of those countries that needed them, while maintaining a non war status. from everything ive ever seen pennies on the dollar were paid for all those rifles,tanks,ships,material, so yeah i guess you could say they were pretty much donated!

19. Mine is an Eddystone made in 1918, re-barreled with a JA barrel.

Attached Files:

20. TheJoker

The M1917 rifles were lend lease. We gave tons of 'em to Britain, France, China & Netherlands. The .303 Enfields almost exclusively went to Britain.

Here is the right link to the detail, the rifles are at the bottom of page 5:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/ref/LL-Ship/LL-Ship-3A.html

And right here it says that they were only charged for items that arrived after the termination of the act which was 1945:

Lend-Lease - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I''m glad you guys got me doing some fact checking. This is some neat stuff I found!

This is a pretty neat set of documents....everything you'd ever want to know about what our parents and grand parents donated to the WWII effort as part of the Lend Lease Act.

HyperWar: Lend-Lease Shipments, World War II

Last edited: Jul 3, 2013