close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How many M-1917s in the house?

Discussion in 'Enfield Rifles' started by Brutus, Jun 28, 2013.

1. I was going to put a long post here but I give up.

Just carry on changing history if it makes people feel better.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    no one here is changing history, seems your a little bitter over your country getting a big bailout!

3. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

After perusing through C.S Ferris' United States Rifle model of 1917, I'll concede that 500,000(...the exact number is in dispute) were sent prior to the Lend-Lease Act and paid for by the British government to replace the rifles abandoned at Dunkirk. In fact, the list of items to be sent(...including the 500,000 M1917s) was approved June 3, 1940 the day before Winston Churchill delivered his famous "...we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender" speech.

4. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yeah, we'll concede the M1917 rifles. Just drop us a check for the other 50 billion and we'll call it square!

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i wont even concede that. the whole problem here is he got his panties in a bunch over the term lend lease, which i brought up. MY RIFLE HAS NEVER BEEN TO FREAKIN' ENGLAND, but it was a lend lease rifle. Lend Lease didnt just apply to items we donated to england, but someone is stuck on one item dealing with one country, when we know for fact the act encompassed many countries, and just about any item for fighting war you can think of.

6. Since y'all are on the subject of Lend Lease, I was told a long time ago that a lot of the rifles that were delivered to England were dumped in the ocean after the war, is there any truth to that??

7. brick13

brick13 G&G Newbie

i have a Model 1917. the serial number says it was made in Sept of 1917. very good condition. my dad bought it in the early 60's from a guy getting laid off. $50. for it and springfiled a3-03 with the stock cut for sport.

thanks, bill

8. Roys

Roys G&G Enthusiast

There was a time that I could find my old posts, but I guess they are lost now. I was going to post this message there, but can't do, so here it is anyway. Back in December of 2013 I was informed by the CMP Custom Shop that the receiver of my 1917 was cracked and they would not install the new barrel, I told everyone that would listen what I needed, there was a lot of help and ideas from you, but no receiver. I finally found one and sent it to the CMP Custom Shop to install the new barrel and be parkerized. I received it back this morning and it looks like new, well except for the stock, I guess it is. The reason for this post is to thank all of you that offered suggestions and encouragement. So to all of you my sincere thanks. Roy