Gun and Game Forum banner

How much ammo would you carry for remote survival?

• ALL THE AMMO

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • The bare minimum plus a little extra

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Just the bare minimum( 2 mags fully loaded for each gun)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so lets try to keep this on task here folks!

Im just curious what yall think.

scenario:

overlanding, driving over unpaved or rarely travel routes camping along the way. duration can span a few days to weeks, sometimes you can get pretty far out and remote this way, imagine oregon, idaho, montana, colorado wyoming type of terrian.

have a 9mm pistol and a ar-15 for self defense and potentially survival needs. suppose the vehicle breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

how much ammo would you carry? keep in mind that when traveling this way every bit of weight and space in the vehicle really needs to be maximized. so its not like i can just throw a .50cal can of 5.56 in there and call it done( i could but wouldnt want to). that said, I want to be able to have enough to sustain me just in case, and maybe shoot a few rounds for practice as well.

Im thinking like 3 - 30 round mags? seems like 90 rounds should be enough. say 2 mags of m193 and then one full of something like some hornady 60gr SP .223. maybe an extra 20 rounder (cause i like those) with some more of the SP in it.

for the 9mm im thinking with all my mags full(4), I have 52 rounds. so 1 box, maybe toss in another 50 rounds for ~100 total? ill have a few mags with HP's and the rest good quality fmjs. all 124 gr.

im not looking for suggestions of other guns or calibers, this is what the scenario is working with.

·
Registered
509 Posts
IMOA, I'd carry all the ammo I have in the vehicle by stuffing it in the spare tire space, under the seats, in the glove box or any nook I can see or reach if need be. I'd load all magazines I have and carry at least 6-30 round mags for 5.56 and 4 9mm mags on a LBV. Keep at least 5 extra mags for each weapon in a quick grab pack.

·
Super Moderator
16,972 Posts
What's your expected threat when you talk about self defense?

Animals, people? Are you overlanding down near the Mexican border where all the cartels and human traffickers operate? or somewhere that is just remote? Are you just looking for a viable self defense option or are you planning on what happens if the world ends while you are out camping?

I think for your ammo choice you just load it with and have your sights/optic zeroed for your hunting/defensive ammo if this is what you carry that rifle for.

For storage and potential carry, how about something like this?

HSP Micro Chest Rig.

Product Grey Baggage Musical instrument accessory Wood flooring Cameras & optics Camera Bag Strap Pocket

Carries 3x 30 round AR mags and has spots for two other items. I have a spare pistol mag and a flashlight in there but it could also fit a mutl-tool etc. The large compartment has medical/trauma stuff in there but if you could put whatever else survival stuff you wanted in there.

The whole thing can fit under my drivers seat of my truck. I can always take less than whats on it if I choose too.

If I had to march out on foot with a rifle/pistol Id be taking a minimum of one spare mag for each... And have each mag on a belt carrier so its always with me.

any more than the one is up to how much space I have or how much weight I want to hump around.

The whole point of this is for a survival situation, getting back to civilization, not going to fight ISIS in Syria lol.

I dont bring 6 mags with me on a high risk SWAT operation, Im not sure what you are going to be doing with that much ammo out on a simple overlanding/camping trip outside of you find someplace you want/can shoot for practice.

But we are not talking about having a crapton of ammo in your truck for recreational shooting (if that's the case bring as much as you can lol) but if you had to walk out on foot because your truck/jeep broke down here.

If its that bad/dangerous out there you regarding people, you might want to reconsider your camping area lol.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Lot's of ammunition is on hand here with even more components to produce even more ammunition for quite a few common and not so common calibers.

As remote a place as I'm gonna get to is our old family place on a lake about an hour from here. I can get enough gas out of the lawn mowers and gas cans to get our pickup to our place. It's large acreage sprawled along a good bit of winding shoreline. The place has been in the family for generations, since the 19th century and well before the lake was built which covered much of the bottom land. I've been going out there for all my life. There are two old cabins there as well as a large storage shed. If I gotta go out there in order to survive: fish with trot lines and limb lines, eat whatever deer, small game, waterfowl and shore birds, armadillos, feral dogs, cats, and hogs, prickly pear nopales and tunas in season and mesquite beans that can be scrounged up for until the first crops were to come in, then all the ammunition fitting every usable firearm as well as all the stripper clips and magazines for same is coming with me.

Looking into the east on a cloudy March morning.

A late July afternoon by water's edge on one end of the place.

Was a miserable high of 34F and rain that day. Even the ducks mostly stayed away.

Disgust is what is being shown here over the slim pickin's.

Shovelers coming up off of a slough.

A small portion of the shoreline and some hunting photos through the years. Now whether all this game will remain available after both we and all the other hungry souls in the region begin putting pressure on it isn't certain.

For prickly pear jelly, gathered in September.

Lots of these, as well as copperheads and water moccasins to cozy up to.

I've got center fire ammuntion, .22 Long Rifle, and shotgun shells enough to last us out. I guess a lifetime of hoarding's my job. It's Mrs. noelekal who is resourceful and has stowed food stuffs, and seeds for planting. She takes it more seriously than I do. She even keeps supplies of tea, loose, bagged, and also pressed into bricks. She says she's gotta have her cup a' tea. It may be made with boiling lake water, but it's gonna be tea.

Truth is, I'm staying right here and making our stand in this small Texas town. I'd much prefer to stay put than go live on a lake. There's good reliable folks here and adequate surface water within walking distance. We'd be way more intelligent to stay put rather than to try to survive on a remote place by ourselves.

Won't matter much to me. If society breaks down and supply lines dwindle or are severed then I'm toast for I require three different blood pressure medications and a cholesterol blocker. I'll be strokin' out.

·
Registered
530 Posts
For you amusement.

Some silliness 'cause that's what Mrs. noelekal and I are good at doing. Some things never change.

Deja Vu All Over Again - 40 Years Hence

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Today, September 13, 2020 marks 40 years since these two photographs of me were taken.

It was September 13, 1980, a Saturday and we had gone to the lake for fun and frolic. You long time Texans may recall the infamous "Summer of 1980" when it remained over 100F for two months straight in a lot of Texas. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/heat-streak-scorches-on-126138273/2121542/ It was still hitting 100F that day in 1980 when we were out there. Mrs. noelekal still has the T-Shirt "I survived the summer of 1980"and she was wearing it that day in September 1980. I don't now recall whether any dove hunting was undertaken, or fishing, or just what was on the day's itinerary. Probably some sitting in inner tubes in the lake while floating around in the duck hunting slough was in order for later that particular day.

Sometime, likely late morning by the look of the shadow, Mrs. noelekal snapped a couple of Polaroids of me posing with .38-40 weaponry, a .38-40 Winchester Model 1873 and a 7 1/2-inch Uberti clone of a Colt Single Action Army also chambered for .38-40.

Can't now explain why the revolver was worn in cross-drawn fashion with knife on right side. Was an attempt to look studly apparently. The very tight fitting T-shirt was the original Lucky Hunting Shirt, worn for dove hunting in warm weather and as an inner layer under additional layers in wintertime deer and duck hunting. That shirt was probably 10 years old when the photo was taken as I'd originally acquired it as a young teen. Was probably only a medium and long shrunken in the wash by the time Mrs. noelekal snapped the 1980 photographs.

So, we moseyed out to to the lake last Monday on September 7th, Mrs. noelekal's day off with a view to recreate the occasion during our planned hiking about. We were a week ahead of exactly 40 years, but we had a commitment this weekend on the exact day and it rained mid-week in the region for several days straight and the unimproved roads on our place become miry after rains. I've never been stuck, but have come perilously close. I'm getting too old to deal with being stuck and am too cheap to want to call a wrecker to a location so remote and inaccessible to rescue me.

For this occasion supporting props were carefully chosen. As the first '73 Winchester was later sold, the current '73 stood in for it. The long-barreled Uberti was also long gone so the 1st Generation Colt Single Action Army .38-40 made for a good substitute. Though that Uberti's holster is still around here somewhere my Uncle Albert's Brill holster for a Colt SAA made an almost more appropriate prop as it would have been there on the lake on various occasion in the distant past.

I dug deep within the British military duffel bag containing spares of my cold weather hunting regalia, to the bottom of the duffel to root out the original Lucky Hunting Shirt worn in the 1980 photographs which I have yet and which at least still goes along on hunting trips in the duffel even if it hasn't been worn in decades.

Old fashioned "track shoes" were out of the question so my oldest pair of cardio-therapy shoes were worn rather than the more practical hiking boots. Topped things off by wearing the knife and scabbard worn in the 1980 photos. My dad made the knife for me. When I was a kid I kept it in his scabbard for his Mark II Navy knife, but by the time I was grown had gotten a leather scabbard from Tandy Leather that "sort of" fits it.

Some Things Noted
1. The Lucky Hunting Shirt has not expanded one bit in 40 years time.

2. The dark hair went missing somewhere along the journey.

3. 95F feels hotter now than 100F did 40 years ago.

4. Winchester Model 1873 rifles have gotten heavier in 40 years.

5. Mrs noelekal's still a cutie pie after 40 years.

6. The shinnery sure has grown since the original photographs were taken.

7. Same rocks were used, but both had shifted since the first photos were taken.

8. The left knee of my blue jeans still wears out first.

9. A snatch of verse from Pink Floyd's "Time" kept running through my head while Wendy was taking the photos Monday.

"You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you."

·
Registered
2,091 Posts

scenario:

overlanding, driving over unpaved or rarely travel routes camping along the way. duration can span a few days to weeks, sometimes you can get pretty far out and remote this way, imagine oregon, idaho, montana, colorado wyoming type of terrian.

have a 9mm pistol and a ar-15 for self defense and potentially survival needs. suppose the vehicle breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

how much ammo would you carry? keep in mind that when traveling this way every bit of weight and space in the vehicle really needs to be maximized. so its not like i can just throw a .50cal can of 5.56 in there and call it done( i could but wouldnt want to). that said, I want to be able to have enough to sustain me just in case, and maybe shoot a few rounds for practice as well.

Im thinking like 3 - 30 round mags? seems like 90 rounds should be enough. say 2 mags of m193 and then one full of something like some hornady 60gr SP .223. maybe an extra 20 rounder (cause i like those) with some more of the SP in it.

for the 9mm im thinking with all my mags full(4), I have 52 rounds. so 1 box, maybe toss in another 50 rounds for ~100 total? ill have a few mags with HP's and the rest good quality fmjs. all 124 gr.

im not looking for suggestions of other guns or calibers, this is what the scenario is working with.
I don't live where you live, and what I keep vehicle handy is different (currently a 9mm pistol and 9mm carbine) but generally I keep a pistol with 3 mags and close to 60-100 rounds for the rifle with 1 spare box handy (depends of if using common mags or not). If I was to switch to .223 for the rifle I would likely carry 3 or 4 mags with enough spare ammo to fill at least 2 mags and drop down to 2 mags with the pistol if weight was a concern as IMO a rifle is the Primary and pistol is just an emergency back up.

Now if I were in certain areas or conditions where I was more concerned about mobs or more than an off hand bad guy this would change dramatically. (Currently in the Sandhills area of NC with no larger predators or civil disruption).

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What's your expected threat when you talk about self defense?

Animals, people? Are you overlanding down near the Mexican border where all the cartels and human traffickers operate? or somewhere that is just remote? Are you just looking for a viable self defense option or are you planning on what happens if the world ends while you are out camping?

I think for your ammo choice you just load it with and have your sights/optic zeroed for your hunting/defensive ammo if this is what you carry that rifle for.

For storage and potential carry, how about something like this?

HSP Micro Chest Rig.

View attachment 149962 View attachment 149964

Carries 3x 30 round AR mags and has spots for two other items. I have a spare pistol mag and a flashlight in there but it could also fit a mutl-tool etc. The large compartment has medical/trauma stuff in there but if you could put whatever else survival stuff you wanted in there.

The whole thing can fit under my drivers seat of my truck. I can always take less than whats on it if I choose too.

If I had to march out on foot with a rifle/pistol Id be taking a minimum of one spare mag for each... And have each mag on a belt carrier so its always with me.

any more than the one is up to how much space I have or how much weight I want to hump around.

The whole point of this is for a survival situation, getting back to civilization, not going to fight ISIS in Syria lol.

I dont bring 6 mags with me on a high risk SWAT operation, Im not sure what you are going to be doing with that much ammo out on a simple overlanding/camping trip outside of you find someplace you want/can shoot for practice.

But we are not talking about having a crapton of ammo in your truck for recreational shooting (if that's the case bring as much as you can lol) but if you had to walk out on foot because your truck/jeep broke down here.

If its that bad/dangerous out there you regarding people, you might want to reconsider your camping area lol.

yeah i mean really i probably wouldn't ever need more than a few rounds for defense. Maybe shoot a coyote, mountain lion or bear or something if it came down to it.

thats why im thinking like, ok, realistically, 3 30 round mags for the ar is more than enough even for a little fun thrown in.

same with the pistol, 100 rounds is enough to have some fun, and still have plenty for Self defense.

I like the HSP chest rig, just little out of my price range. I use a maxpedition pygmy falconII as my gun/ ammo bag on trips. I've had it for a while and its just big enough to fit everything i need for some recreational shooting, except the rifle and its pretty small / light and convenient for my needs.

thanks for the discussion, i pretty much had already made up my mind on what i think is a good amnt, just was curious what other thought!

·
Registered
530 Posts
Two images aren't showing up in my first post so we'll try 'em here.

Was a miserable high of 34F and rain that day. Even the ducks mostly stayed away.

Lots of these, as well as copperheads and water moccasins to cozy up to.

·
Registered
893 Posts
If you throw a 22 in the mix suddenly a lot of issues are resolved. Any 22 pistol will take rabbits, birds, frogs, fish, or whatever, lots of survival issues solved. 200 rounds of ammo takes no space. Then whatever you might need for defense is a lessor amount.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts

scenario:

If you think 3 magazines full for the AR15 is good, I suggest 6 magazines full is better. ;)

Additional Comments:
Seldom, if ever, does anyone complain about having "too much" ammo.

You should have at least a half dozen pistol magazines full, as well. It is difficult to load magazines "on the fly" especially if you are in an emergency situation.

Ammo can be used for other things, besides shooting.

While not all unexpected contingencies can be theorized ahead of time, it is ALWAYS better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

Having spent most of my life "West of the Rockies," I think your choice of arms for that part of the country leaves you "undergunned" for the purpose you are proposing. But, that's just me.

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you think 3 magazines full for the AR15 is good, I suggest 6 magazines full is better. ;)

Additional Comments:

Having spent most of my life "West of the Rockies," I think your choice of arms for that part of the country leaves you "undergunned" for the purpose you are proposing. But, that's just me.
I agree!

a bolt action center fire rifle is on my list, probably either .308 or 6.5creedmore.

but thats for another thread!

·
Registered
5,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you throw a 22 in the mix suddenly a lot of issues are resolved. Any 22 pistol will take rabbits, birds, frogs, fish, or whatever, lots of survival issues solved. 200 rounds of ammo takes no space. Then whatever you might need for defense is a lessor amount.
Yeah, I'd probably also have my 10/22 as well if i was really going out into the wilderness for along time. couple hundred rounds of .22 doesnt take much space or weight. I might also replace the 9mm with a .22lr pistol. that way i would negate the 9mm ammo weight and could take more like 300 rounds of .22 lr for the pistol and rifle.

·
Premium Member
24,835 Posts
Yeah, I'd probably also have my 10/22 as well if i was really going out into the wilderness for along time. couple hundred rounds of .22 doesnt take much space or weight. I might also replace the 9mm with a .22lr pistol. that way i would negate the 9mm ammo weight and could take more like 300 rounds of .22 lr for the pistol and rifle.
O.K. I just HAVE to ask......WHY is the ammo weight so critical, when you are DRIVING A VEHICLE. It's not like you are humping an 80 pound pack through the wilderness.

Additionally, I thought you were undergunned before. Dropping out the 9MM for a .22LR pistol? Seriously??

Reactions: blue fox

·
Registered
120 Posts
I don't expect to need much ammo . If I pull a trigger likely I will need only one bullet to have either meat on the ground or an enemy on the ground . All that cowboy crap with all the shooting and no one getting hit just ain't reality . Now if someone is scared sh--less they may be shooting all over the place and not hitting anything . I am a war vet and shooting without someone getting hit just isn't likely . The rest of my survival group I would expect the same cold and calm response to an attack . So just to make sure I had plenty of amo I would think in a 300 man assault on our survival retreat we would likely kill everyone of them with a 3 bullets per enemy formula , or equals 900 bullets to take out 300 scum bags .

·
Registered
11,284 Posts
I don't expect to need much ammo . If I pull a trigger likely I will need only one bullet to have either meat on the ground or an enemy on the ground . All that cowboy crap with all the shooting and no one getting hit just ain't reality . Now if someone is scared sh--less they may be shooting all over the place and not hitting anything . I am a war vet and shooting without someone getting hit just isn't likely . The rest of my survival group I would expect the same cold and calm response to an attack . So just to make sure I had plenty of amo I would think in a 300 man assault on our survival retreat we would likely kill everyone of them with a 3 bullets per enemy formula , or equals 900 bullets to take out 300 scum bags .
You can hope for that but I would figure on twice the amount both in availability and what gets shot up.

·
Registered
11,284 Posts

Additional Comments:
Seldom, if ever, does anyone complain about having "too much" ammo.

You should have at least a half dozen pistol magazines full, as well. It is difficult to load magazines "on the fly" especially if you are in an emergency situation.

Ammo can be used for other things, besides shooting.

While not all unexpected contingencies can be theorized ahead of time, it is ALWAYS better to have it and not need it, than it is to need it and not have it.

6 mags is better, 12 is really better. I have 11 mags for my AR and want to get at least that many more. I am looking for another 5 mags for my pistol which would give me 10. If I can fit a bandoleer of 5.56 stripper clips in that will happen also. Probably my 38 spcl will go along also in place of the 22 pistol.

·
Registered
893 Posts
For you amusement.

Some silliness 'cause that's what Mrs. noelekal and I are good at doing. Some things never change.

Deja Vu All Over Again - 40 Years Hence

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Today, September 13, 2020 marks 40 years since these two photographs of me were taken.

It was September 13, 1980, a Saturday and we had gone to the lake for fun and frolic. You long time Texans may recall the infamous "Summer of 1980" when it remained over 100F for two months straight in a lot of Texas. https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/heat-streak-scorches-on-126138273/2121542/ It was still hitting 100F that day in 1980 when we were out there. Mrs. noelekal still has the T-Shirt "I survived the summer of 1980"and she was wearing it that day in September 1980. I don't now recall whether any dove hunting was undertaken, or fishing, or just what was on the day's itinerary. Probably some sitting in inner tubes in the lake while floating around in the duck hunting slough was in order for later that particular day.

Sometime, likely late morning by the look of the shadow, Mrs. noelekal snapped a couple of Polaroids of me posing with .38-40 weaponry, a .38-40 Winchester Model 1873 and a 7 1/2-inch Uberti clone of a Colt Single Action Army also chambered for .38-40.

Can't now explain why the revolver was worn in cross-drawn fashion with knife on right side. Was an attempt to look studly apparently. The very tight fitting T-shirt was the original Lucky Hunting Shirt, worn for dove hunting in warm weather and as an inner layer under additional layers in wintertime deer and duck hunting. That shirt was probably 10 years old when the photo was taken as I'd originally acquired it as a young teen. Was probably only a medium and long shrunken in the wash by the time Mrs. noelekal snapped the 1980 photographs.

So, we moseyed out to to the lake last Monday on September 7th, Mrs. noelekal's day off with a view to recreate the occasion during our planned hiking about. We were a week ahead of exactly 40 years, but we had a commitment this weekend on the exact day and it rained mid-week in the region for several days straight and the unimproved roads on our place become miry after rains. I've never been stuck, but have come perilously close. I'm getting too old to deal with being stuck and am too cheap to want to call a wrecker to a location so remote and inaccessible to rescue me.

For this occasion supporting props were carefully chosen. As the first '73 Winchester was later sold, the current '73 stood in for it. The long-barreled Uberti was also long gone so the 1st Generation Colt Single Action Army .38-40 made for a good substitute. Though that Uberti's holster is still around here somewhere my Uncle Albert's Brill holster for a Colt SAA made an almost more appropriate prop as it would have been there on the lake on various occasion in the distant past.

I dug deep within the British military duffel bag containing spares of my cold weather hunting regalia, to the bottom of the duffel to root out the original Lucky Hunting Shirt worn in the 1980 photographs which I have yet and which at least still goes along on hunting trips in the duffel even if it hasn't been worn in decades.

Old fashioned "track shoes" were out of the question so my oldest pair of cardio-therapy shoes were worn rather than the more practical hiking boots. Topped things off by wearing the knife and scabbard worn in the 1980 photos. My dad made the knife for me. When I was a kid I kept it in his scabbard for his Mark II Navy knife, but by the time I was grown had gotten a leather scabbard from Tandy Leather that "sort of" fits it.

Some Things Noted
1. The Lucky Hunting Shirt has not expanded one bit in 40 years time.

2. The dark hair went missing somewhere along the journey.

3. 95F feels hotter now than 100F did 40 years ago.

4. Winchester Model 1873 rifles have gotten heavier in 40 years.

5. Mrs noelekal's still a cutie pie after 40 years.

6. The shinnery sure has grown since the original photographs were taken.

7. Same rocks were used, but both had shifted since the first photos were taken.

8. The left knee of my blue jeans still wears out first.

9. A snatch of verse from Pink Floyd's "Time" kept running through my head while Wendy was taking the photos Monday.

"You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you."
The knife on the right side and the handgun in a cross draw is pretty common if you ride horseback and carry a rifle at the same time. I learned in the high country about 1982. If you are chasing elk or even big mule deer, with a rifle with a sling, it will often catch those pistol grips. If trying to move quickly you will often saddle up with the rifle slung over the shoulder, and it will bang the pistol or the sling will get caught by the handle.

If you rope cattle you definitely do not want that pistol on your roping side. So, I moved the knife to the right side and pistol to cross draw just as a practical matter long back then.

Later I just preferred to have the handgun cross draw any time I was on a horse.
All my horses died off a few years ago, but I still find the cross draw better for long barrel revolvers when riding the 4 x 4 or even while walking with a rifle with a sling. You were probably not looking studly, just being practical.

·
Registered
11,438 Posts
I'd replace the worthless 9mm with more 223 ammo.
there ain't nuthin your gonna be shooting at in Idaho or Wyoming that the 223 wouldn't already be marginal on.
[unless your unplanned hiking trip is planned around P-dog and ground squirrel hunting]

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
I'm no expert but I figure whatever i don't have is what I will wish I had.

In my neck of the woods, if I had to go mobile, I would want a 22 LR revolver and a couple of bricks for that. Also a 357 revolver with several hundred rounds. An AR15 with every mag I have loaded up. From there, it would be a trade off for what I have room for. I would want a 45 ACP, but a 9mm or 40S&W might be easier to find ammo for, if I need to search for some.
The Mossberg 930 SPX is very accurate with slugs out to 125 yards and I have lots of slugs. Plus is a good game getter with birdshot. I can reload it pretty quickly in 3-gun shoots but something magazine fed will always be faster. Still a slug on body armor has got to hurt just a little - and would be good for bears or moose.
Hard to say but I think my F150 would be fully loaded.

Edit: In re-reading the OP title, I am reminded that only ammo quantity for the AR15 is asked. I have a "box or two" of that. As I said, I would load up every magazine I have - which is quite a few. I don't even know how many.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts