close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

How much muzzle wear does it take......

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by powerkicker, Apr 14, 2002.

1. ....to destroy the accuracy of an enfield?I have a '43 no4mk1 that I have been shooting for a while now with good results and good accuracy.Today,I have been giving it it's first thorough cleaning since getting it some time back.
    While removing the huge amounts of copper present in the bore,I noticed an imperfection in the muzzle crown at about the 5 o'clock position.This is not a raised burr,but a small ,irregular, scalloped -looking area near one of the lands.It looks like some scared-to-death british soldier probably cleaned it from the muzzle end a few times without a guide and slightly scratched away at the crown.It's small enough that one turn of a crowning tool would probably remove it,but I don't want to remove metal from this gun without very good cause.
    As I said,the gun is shooting pretty well regardless,but it just got me to thinking;Do any of your Enfields display blemished crowns/muzzles.....And if so,how does YOURS shoot?Thanks.......:(

Last edited: Apr 14, 2002
  2. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

The No.4 that I talked about in my previous thread has the same type of "scalloping," at about the 1 o'clock position when you're looking at the muzzle.

I don't know how accurate the rifle was before I got it, but from my previous thread, I describe how I'm making chest shots at a steel silhouette target at 600 yards with 80's production South African ball ammo...

When I'm looking at the muzzle of my rifle, it seems that the bore is not circular, rather polygonal...I don't think that's wear, but deliberately created when making the barrel. This type of bore construction tends to grab the bullet a little more tightly than a totally cylindrical bore, creating a better gas seal; either that or I'm just imagining things.

Nevertheless, the rifle's capabilities can't be questioned, it's the only rifle I have that can make shots like that at that distance. Not even my k98k can match it.

3. .....Man ,I thought it was just my eyes!!The bore on mine doesn't look perfectly symetrical/cylindrical either.I thought it was just an illusion created by the two-grooove barrel!:eek:

4. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Wow, you've got a two-groove barrel? Is the rifle a Savage Enfield? At what distances have you shot it?

About the "polygonal" bore...while holding the rifle and looking through the muzzle, observe the shape of the hole on the other side...mine is polygonally shaped as well; that's why I thought the shape was intentionally manufactured.

5. Mine is a maltby according to all the markings on it.All the serial #s match,even the wood.AS far as range,so far I have only been to the local indoor range which is limited to 30 yards with this gun.From what I can gather at the admittedly short distance,my no4 shoots about 1- 1 1/4" groups from a casual rest.I believe the rifle will do better and the problem is with me.My M14 shoots about the same so I presume such consistant groups with both guns must mean I am at the limits of my shooting ability,not either guns.
    I looked down the bore and I am still not able to say for sure it's polygonal,but it sure doesn't look perfectly round....odd indeed.

6. Hans R Colt

Hans R Colt G&G Newbie

Mine definitely shoots better than I can...

I occasionally let admirers try it out, and lots of them are much better than I am, I'm afraid! My buddy with the M39 hit a 20" steel gong at 700 yards with it a couple of days ago...I think he's getting Enfield fever; the feel of the action is the total opposite of his Mosin. I'm surprised that he hasn't let loose on something that far...he's just too obsessed with developing the perfect load for each of his rifles, I guess...shooting with surplus ammo is so much more satisfying to me, just banging away at that faraway target with gleeful abandon!