Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love my GP100 and now I'm considering to get either a Super Redhawk 44 or 454. Do they both cost about the same to reload? I've heard that 454 cases are tougher and can probably handle more reloads. What is the price difference between these two and reloading S&W 500 specials? I will be reloading with copper jacketed lead. Thanks for your time guys.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
If you are spending about the same money for either gun I would advise the .454 because it will handle light .45 colt loads and can be loaded ro max..454 loads which will bring down anything in North America.They are about 1 1/2 times what a .44mag is.Cost of reloading will be about the same. sam.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i agree with sam.
i have loaded from 6.8 gr.of greendot 250gr..45 cowboy loads all the way up to full house 31 gr.of imr 4227 300gr. bigfoot killers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never reloaded before. Can you tell me how much a box of 50 would cost to reload for each caliber? I mean with full power loads. 357, 44, 454. I've been considering a 454 right along; it's just that the 44 has such a following. Do you think 454 factory ammo will ever get cheaper. I remember pricing 357 at walmart; it costs as much as 44 used to. Can 45Auto be loaded in 454 cases for cowboy shooting?

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
reloading is cheaper after the equipment is paid off in ammo savings.

i like to help but i am not going to go price shopping for you and then do a breakdown of components for you.
i would have to research what each type of powder/bullet/cases /primers cost and then do some fancy math.

i dont think any ammo is going to get cheaper.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I was just looking for a ball park. I've been eyeballing red dot optical sights. I've seen scopes fly off of revolvers. Do you think any red dots could handle a 454?

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
jeeze i dont know.
there must be a reddot that can handle it though.
my .454 has a heluva recoil and it is ported.
i can tell you that cowboy loads cost me about a dime each.
and the .454 is about 50 -65 cents

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
Just a question . . . .

What you buy and shoot is entirely your business.
When I see posts like yours I do like to ask if you are familiar with these ultra high power cartridges?
I have, as I am sure others in this forum have, seen people at a firing range absolutely in shock over the recoil and muzzle blast experienced from a new higher caliber revolver or rifle. It is one thing to read a story in a gun magazine and another thing to do some research on bullet weights and muzzle velocities but nothing compares to pulling the trigger.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
i guess i forgot to mention that part.
this is a SERIOUS caliber revolver.
i have fired all kinds of .44's .45's .357's
this thing aint even in the same ballpark.
my snubby .357 with full house loads is nothing like this.
it hurts my hands.
i dont really want to shoot it more than 5 or 6 times in a session.

and i use gloves just for this one that i bought special.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your right, I should try before I buy. I'm the big strong silent guy of any group. I can shoot an 870 SBS pistol grip 12 gauge 3/4" 1 oz slug one handed for 5 rounds before I need a break. I'm 300 lbs and it just pushes me back on one foot. I can also shoot it more accurately than a smith 5906 at 20 yards...weird.

·
Premium Member
30,668 Posts
you weigh more than twice what i do.
that might make a difference.
ya think?:09:

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can reload for about half of what you can buy loaded ammo for, also consider if you have to buy ammo in a crunch 454 might be tough to find at walmart if your on a hunting trip and need ammo quick.

·
Registered
85 Posts
It depends on how deeply you're into handloading. I've been casting all my own handgun bullets for 37 years, and many of my rifle bullets. The investment in equipment has been amortized over the years by the savings in projectiles, but with the cost of metals of all kinds skyrocketing, that investment is now really paying off. I've been gathering lead alloys for all those years, mostly for free. Today, even wheel weights are selling for $1 per pound in some areas, linotype for up to $3 per pound. With copper now selling at over $3 per pound, jacketed bullets and empty brass is two to three times the cost of just a few years ago.

I own four .454 Casulls, and bought bulk brass back in the late 90's for $90 per 500. Today, that brass is twice the price and rising daily. With careful handling and judicious loads, my brass lasts 14 to 15 firings. I also own 5 .44 magnums, and have plenty of brass to last my remaining days. A newbie is facing very high costs to begin handloading now. Still, handloads can be assembled for less than half the cost of factory loads.

It all depends where you jump in.....but I don't see the cost ever going down again. If you want to shoot, you better jump in and stockpile some components NOW.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
I've never reloaded before. Can you tell me how much a box of 50 would cost to reload for each caliber? I mean with full power loads. 357, 44, 454. I've been considering a 454 right along; it's just that the 44 has such a following. Do you think 454 factory ammo will ever get cheaper. I remember pricing 357 at walmart; it costs as much as 44 used to. Can 45 Auto be loaded in 454 cases for cowboy shooting?[/quote]
Your question confuses me I mean the part that I took the liberty to put in bold print.
Are you going to shoot .45 Auto bullets from a .454, are you going to reload the powder to .45 Auto specs, Which I believe would be dangerious as the .454 case is a lot longer than the .45 Auto case and the top loads for the .45 Auto are way, way below the starting loads of the .454 This is loading way below the minium loads suggested for the .454 and could be an accident waiting to happen. also the bullet [projectile lengths] are different leaving more space in the case for pressure build-up If you're going to shoot the .454 in "cowboy" i.e. CAS or SASS I would suggest that 1st. you with your local SASS/CAS club and see if the .454 is permitted and if it is I would load the minimum suggested by a good reloading manual for the .454 or perhaps a little above the minimum perhaps one or two tenths of a grain above the minimum.
I definatly would not use .45 Automatic loading data.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts