How to color brass???

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Tigercat200, May 24, 2008.

1. Tigercat200

Tigercat200 G&G Evangelist

Is there a way to color brass? You can anodize aluminum but, what can you do with brass? I would love to dye my 10mm brass hot pink or something that would be easy to see. If I find 50% of my brass I'm doing well. That's if I stand in one place. At an IPSC match you can just forget it. Anyone with a 10 knows the pain. Thanks.
    Bob

2. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I don't think coloring brass is a solution. You could seal the primers with red fingernail polish to make them stand out more.

3. How about changing to steel cases and buying a big electro-magnet?

4. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

there is alreay a thread on this site that covers this.. ive got 2 of the three camicals i need to do it , but ill have to wait tilll i shoot all i have loadd up so far.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I seem to recall that Brownell's may have a "Brass Black" product - but I don't have my Brownell's catalog handy to check.
    It could be plated - that's how Nickel cases are made. There are home-plating kits available to do silver and gold plating.
    Simple marking pens can work temporarily - I do the case heads on reloads to tell which load is which in a box of mixed loads. It wears off after awhile.

6. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

I have about 100 brass patinas you could use. Most with common chemicals. Its just a controlled rust. Unfortunitly hot pink wont be one of them. More like black, red ect

7. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

OK. But do they compromise the brass?

8. Romey

Romey G&G Enthusiast

nope, just a type of light oxide no different then blueing or anodizing steel. Brass patinas with or without your help. The color it patinas is up to you.

9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I would stripe them With red magic marker...Tigercat !!!
    Rich

10. Tigercat200

Hot pink was just an attention getter but, the idea is to make the whole case stand out. The shooting bays are gravel with weeds and grass scattered about so brass hides really well. I shoot at PASA Park and after a gillion monthly matches, I don't know how many IPSC nationals, and a bunch of Masters matches over the last 25 years, there is a lot of brass on the ground. Besides, the Delta Gold Cup throws this stuff all over the place and all attempts to tame it have failed. Even Bill Wilson and Dick Heinie told me they hadn't been able to calm it down like they can a .45. The scouts used to pick it up, separate it, polish it, and offer it for sale but, they stopped doing that. Wish I lived closer and my grandsons were close enough to go with me we would do some scavenging and sell the brass I didn't want for scrap since prices are so high now. The grandkids could have the dough and that would be cool, too.

I tried to find a threadm mrmom, so I wouldn't be a bother but, my search must not have used the right words. Can you give me a hint?

Thanks for the tip, romey. I'll look into it.

Mooseman.....I just may try that on a box and see what happens. Stay tuned. Although, a tigercat should be orange, don't you think? By the way, how long till you go up to pan for gold?

Thanks everybody ! ! !

Bob

11. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I'm planning on Heading North to the Gold fields June 30th...I still havent found anyone that wants to team up with us for a month of washing rocks...
    Oh well, My 4 inch dredge is almost completed and I'm Glad I bought 3 barrels of fuel ahead of time with the prices going thru the roof...
    I still have to get the Outhouse and shower shelter put together, as well as tools and equipment all serviced....It should be fun!
    Thanks for asking !
    Rich

12. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Get yourself a colored Sharpie® and mark them in any form you want to that will get your attention. That won't affect the pressure or the integrity of the case.

(pretty sure that's what Mooseman meant by "magic marker", too)

13. dogman2

dogman2 Suspended

Iowa
    I lay out a big tarp and then fold it up after shooting to take it home and sort brass.

14. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

15. Tigercat200

I understand about the computer keys, Mr. Mom. I'll be happy when they do what I want instead of what I tell them. I'll have to do some looking in the area to find where I can buy the chemicals called out in the string you referenced and give it a go.

Romey.....Do you have the chemicals for sale or do you just have the recipes? I couldn't find anything about them on your website and sent you an email but, I haven't heard back yet. I'm sure you're very busy as we all are. By the way, your knives are truly wonderful ! ! ! !

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. I'll let you know how it turns out if I get it done.

16. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Yanno...maybe a brass catcher would do the trick for ya...

17. Tigercat200

It might, Big Shrek but, like the tarp idea, things have a way of going to pot during an IPSC match. The brass catcher gets in the way and the tarp just wouldn't be where I needed it. Too much moving, up and down, twisting, and stuff to work around. As Roseanne Rosanna Danna said, "It's always something." Ain't it the truth. I might have to get a brass catcher for the range though. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Bob

18. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I tried the sharpie method the other day and I will say it saved me time in picking out my brass from the others.
    Thanks for the idea

19. mr mom

mr mom G&G Regular

ive got all but 1 of the cemicals i need for the color i want.... i asked the kids cemistery teacher ..... i told him what i wanted to do and showed him what i needed ... he says he has the last of my needs comming... its going to cost me a fishing trip.... thats ok , he is a good guy.

20. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

you get what you wanted.
    AND you get to go fishing with a good guy.

oh you poor thing you!

let us know what it takes ok?
    i hope its easy