Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am cleaning all the cosmoline off of my Mosin M44 and want to know the best way to preserve the metal parts of the rifle.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I rinse off my metal parts with some boiling water so that there isn't any dirt on them, this dries very fast if you keep pouring the hot water on the metal so that the metal itself gets hot as well. Once I know it is clean I take a Q Tip and dap some Hoppes lubricant on it. I then lightly coat the barrel and receiver. I let it sit for about 3 minutes allowing the oil to penetrate and then wipe off all the excess with a rag. As for the bolt I polish all its parts seperately with MAG polish and then oil it the same way as I did with the barrel and receiver. Except this time I don't wipe off all the excess being that these are the moving parts. After I assemble the rifle I wipe it down with a Hoppes silicone treated rag. So far I haven't had any rust problems since I started doing it this way.

oh and dont forget to leave a little oil in the action/receiver as well!

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
I am cleaning all the cosmoline off of my Mosin M44 and want to know the best way to preserve the metal parts of the rifle.
read sticky at top of forum on cleaning.. I use carb cleaner on metal parts then any really good gun oil on all metel parts wipe off excess
Welcome to G&G

·
Registered
8,151 Posts
Welcome to G&G Madsmatt. I take a lil olive oil and mix it with vinegar and shake it all up and pour it all over my....oh sorry thats for salads. Have a good one.

·
Freedom Zealot
33,733 Posts
Yep, read the sticky, lots of good info there. Good advice given. Light coat of oil.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
if you want to preserve the metal to it's fullest and not have to worry about it ever having any problems due to moisture aka rust, etc........then DON'T remove the cosmoline :D easiest process also.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
Yeah, he knows nothing, dont listen to anything he says....listen to me, :D

"send the gun to me"....thats easiest route for it to be cleaned....then just go buy another one thats already been cleaned....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts