Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How can I tell the difference between a milled or stampe Trigger Group?. I have been curious about this since I got my SKS and now I am looking at possibly getting another SKS or Perhaps a Saiga. Any help or advice would be great. Thanks

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Look at where the trigger guard attaches to the body of the trigger group. If it's one piece and has milling marks indicating it was machined out of one piece of stell, it's milled. If the trigger guard is a separate piece helded to the trigger-group body and is smooth finished, it's stamped. FWIW, I personally don't think that matters as much as having the threaded barrel, but that's just my .02. This site has some good pics:
Yooper John

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,307 Posts
Only the later Norinco SKS will have the stamped parts. Earlier Chinese and ALL other nations used the forged parts. The stamped trigger guard is pretty obvious, you can see the thinner sheet-metal parts assembled together, while the forged part is much more solid.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Generally, milled parts have machine marks on them. Whereas, stamped parts have a "parting line" where the two steel dies come together when hot metal is smashed between the dies.

I would guess that stamped parts may be less expensive than milled parts because of the reduced labor making them during mass production.

As far as strength...that would depend upon the heat treating process used after the parts were made. Personally, I would prefer machined parts because of looks, as long as the metalluragy qualities are the same.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well I am trying to figure it out on my Norinco SKS. It has Chinese markings on the receiver and the number 974 Circled on it. Thanks for the info and I will take it off and take a closer look and a pic of it and post it.

Well i took it out and it has a stamped trigger group. I also had to repair the safety on it. It was loose it would just fall back off. Has anyone else had this problem?

·
YOU TALKIN' TO ME!?
21,216 Posts
Milled:

(My milled Bulgarian SLR101S)

Oops,...sorry...thought you meant milled receiver....

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yea I know right. We all would like to have that one NRAJOE. I still like my Norinco. I have been looking at alot of stuff about them. My next thing is to have the trigger reworked. Anyone have any suggestions about doing this?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts