close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

howa hogue gameking, or savage 11/111 trophy hunter xp .22-250?

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by Prosper van Dale, May 17, 2017.

1. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

All kinds of companies sell barrels, names like E.R. Shaw, Shilen, Bartlein, Hart, Midway USA, Brownell, and many more. Prices run from very inexpensive to astronomical.

2. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

I have a Weatherby Vanguard (made by Howa) in .223 and it is an extraordinary tack driver. Reason for my post, you won't go wrong with whatever you pick.

billy, cjleete and ChaZam like this.

3. Dad and I swapped out a 30-06 barrel for a 257 Roberts Imp Barrel in about 20 minutes, but we were kind of goofing off during the process. First group out of the 257 measured about 5/8" at 100 yards. We're planning on switching a 243 to 35 Remington later this summer

4. I am going to get a 308 barrel for my 243 striker
    I will even get to use the same bolt

5. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    put a 20" on it billy

billy likes this.
  6. So changing barrels won't affect accuracy?

7. Don't know till I try.
    But i always go for broke and get the highest quality bench rest barrels I can afford

Prosper van Dale likes this.
  8. im gonna get it in 6.5 creed moor and then get a .22-250 barrel

billy and ChaZam like this.
  9. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

You won't regret a savage.

Prosper van Dale likes this.
  10. after looking around I've found tons of aftermarket stuff too like spiral fluted bolt handles and tactical stocks

11. the savage is on the way in 6.5 creedmoor

12. Wicked109

Wicked109 G&G Evangelist

Feeding a firearm is just as important and some ammo will cost quite a bit depending on availability and popularity. So, my .300 WSM ammo would cost between $35-$60 for 20 rounds depending on brand. As for .223, prices range from $6-$25 again depending on brand and type. I reload and have realized a huge savings over time. I just offer this as a data point to consider. So, if you like to shoot a lot, think about picking the caliber that you are willing to shell out the money to feed. Not everyone feels the way I do and that's fine.
    Here's my breakdown: .223 55gr AMax 12 cents, powder 7 cents, primer 3 cents, brass 3 cents (pro-rated because you can reuse)= 25 cents for premium ammo. Since I weigh each powder charge, measure OCL, use CCI primers, IMR 3031 powder, and Winchester brass. Consistency and accuracy is spectacular. To be honest, if you factor the cost of time it would be way more expensive than a quarter per round but it is for therapy and my love for attention to detail. I reload in winter and shoot during the summer.