close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Howdy all! Step up and introduce yourselves!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Calamity Jane, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Whar's all the wimin? Ain't nobody gonna get this started?

Oh well, I probably got the biggest mouth, so I'll go first....

I'm Calamity Jane, a novice Cowboy Action Shooter from the Northern Plains (central Canada). Been shootin pistol fer 35 years (off 'n' on), tried benchrest 'n' some other thangs but kind o' drifted away from shootin 'til I stumbled on cowboy action shooting last year. Since there weren't no CAS happenin in my part o' the country, I ramrodded gettin a CAS club started this winter 'n' really lookin forward ta me first real CAS match!

Ok, I know'z yer out there! Step up 'n' introduce yerselves ladies ...

(No tesin now - I knowz I talks funny.)

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I would like to welcome you to the forum. Its not a forum until we have females on it!

Welcome and Enjoy your stay

3. I know it doesn't really count. But my wife watches over my shoulder quite a bit. Laughs at stuff and does the "you should tell them ...."

4. Pinky Jo

Pinky Jo G&G Newbie

Howdy all!

Like Calamity, I am also involved in Cowboy Action Shooting. My husband and I have been involved in it since 1997. I have always been around firearms and have enjoyed all kinds of sports involving them. You would think I would be a better shot! sheese!

The Oklahoma City Gun Club, just in the past couple of years started up a Womens Division and it seems to be going pretty good. This will be the third year that we sponsor a Womens Fun Shoot. This is a day that we advertise for women to come out and spend the day learning safety and handling of firearms. They get an opportunity to shoot pistols, rifles and shotguns. This past year, there were even able to shoot an AR-15. They loved it! So, if you live in the OKC area, feel free to contact me and I can give you more information about the one we will hold in September!

Pinky Jo

5. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Welcome

All women shooters are welcome here. Good to see you all are involved in CAS. Women have taken to that sport in droves and I think that's just super. We here at GunandGame.com welcome you!

Jesse

:) :) :)

6. I've seen some really excellent women shooters.A couple of years ago,a woman won our rondezvous,shooting a 35 cal.:D

7. gungal

gungal G&G Newbie

Hi Calamity,
    Nice meeting you, I work in the firearms industry, I started out shooting handgun, which I am always learning more everyday. Next step is rifle. How do you like Cowboy Action Shooting

8. gungal

gungal G&G Newbie

I am signing off , hope all you ladies have a good evening out there, I will be back tomorrow
    gungal

9. Howdy gungal!

I LOVE cowboy action shooting!

I'z been shootin off 'n' on near my whole life 'n' I'd got bored with everythin else 'bout 18 years ago. I found out about CAS a couple years back 'n' got curious 'bout it last spring - didn't take long a'fore'n I waz hooked!

CAS is a whole different kettle o' fish than anythin else. With the costumes and the don't-take-youself-seriously attitude, it's actually FUN, probably more due to the wonderful people and the social aspects of the sport than the actual shooting. It's the only sport I know of where trying hard to "win" is discouraged :D

10. Well I ain't no Lady, but am replying for one. My ex lady friend shot my gun once, her first and only time to fire one. It was'nt until a few weeks ago I found out her mom who I still affectionly refer to as grandma, was one heck of a shot in her day, and still can drop a deer or two, when inclined.She is status indian so hunting season is whenever she wants it to be.
    You talk abt. pistol shooting. Don't you find it more and more difficult with our new legislation?? I can get grandma to shoot, she may even go out for boar with me, but can't get her on the internet. Here's hoping you started the ball rolling for all the ladies out there.

11. gungal

gungal G&G Newbie

Good Morning Everyone,
    Hey Calamity, thanks for the thread to come here directly.
    Work is going to be crazy today i am working on a deadline but i will check in and out during the day.
    As far as CAS that is something that I would like to try down the road . I think it is great that women are getting more involved in shooting, and it is wonderful that we are getting more and more interest in expanding women's interest. thanks to Jesse and the crew at gunandgame.com that they have included a site especially for women. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

12. Sure_shot

Sure_shot G&G Newbie

Oregon
    Hey everyone !

how is every one? my dad and i hunt together and shoot at rendezvous. I have been shooting for most my life but i have gottin' alot more serious about it.
    Right now i am in a group called Y.H.E.C.(youth hunters education challenge). If u know anyone who is 18 yrs old or yonger that is into hunting or just shooting and might want to compete, or just have fun with other people their age and learn from great instructors, chances r that their is a Y.H.E.C. club around u! (if there isent, start one:) we could use the compitition) In YHEC we compete in 4 different types of shooting, archery, .22, muzzle loader and sporting clays. Its tons of fun.

13. Jesse

Jesse G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Welcome... sure sounds like you do have fun! We encourage all new shooters... bring your friends and family and we'll all hang out and have a blast! I like shooting the #4 mk1 Lee Enfield... power and accuracy! A classic C&R rifle and a great beginning rifle. Ever shot one? loads of fun shooting at 100 yds... be sure to come back, and bring company so we can mingle!

Thanks and go get 'em!

Jesse

14. Hi y'all. I'm Kath "Shooter Grrl". I love shooting, and currently participate in IPSC. I've recently started a Women Only section at sportshooter.com and if you go there you can read lots about me in my introduction. (No use in re-inventing the wheel:)

http://www.sportshooter.com/womenonly

My next article hilights sites I've found and liked (and some I didn't like!) But this forum is specifically mentioned, so get ready for some traffic!

15. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

Darn. I was hoping to find some single female gun enthusiests in the Houston area. Y'all look like yer mostly yankees. :confused:

16. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Any 20ish yr olds in the northeast?

Well Klaus, I don't think a "hookup forum" was the original intention. Guess we'll have to look elsewhere.

17. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

My apologies if I've said something out of line, since I haven't seen any posts on this forum since my last one.

18. Hi All
    I'm an ISSF [probably changed its name again by now!] shooter from Western Australia. Anyone else into this?
    Cheers
    Dragonlady

19. I haven't learned how to shoot yet, but I'm excited about being taught soon by my bf, BRG3. What is a good gun for a woman to learn how to shoot with?

20. SRX,

I haven't officially introduced myself but I'm Dale.

Now...your question. Not to slack off here but BR is a pretty sharp character and he should have a good grasp on things.

Not knowing your size, and all (and I don't want to look like I'm prying), it's difficult to even guess what you might be able to handl....grip wise....weapon caliber, etc.

My wife who is a petite thing, has a hard time with my .40 or any hot loads I reload for the 9MM.

However, she got herself a Sig 239 in 9MM and I customized a 9MM load for her that she can shoot the B Geezus out of.

She can also shoot the Mak 9 X 18 but that might be a little less of a gun than you're looking for.

The other issue is what are your intentions for it....concealled carry.....home protection....both....possible competition shooting or what?

Those are factors that will play in to what you might be looking for.

I profess two major things about a gun (other than it's inherant accuracy and dependablity)....it has to be a gun that you feel confortable with and are not intimidated with...something that if the chit hits the fan you feel good enough with that you can stand in there and sling some lead without the want of high tailing it and two, something that you can hit what you're aiming at.

I know this isn't much info but I'm sure others will be along to share their wisdom and knowledge, too.

Come to think of it, I'm gonna start professing a thrid thing......don't....DON'T sacrafice the value and quality of a handgun for something cheaper that shoots cheaper....etc. Does that make sense?

In other words, like anything else...you get what you pay for in guns...probably MORE so in guns.

I wish you luck.............and with guns and shooting, too. He he he he he.