Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Or a good deep crimp

Votes: 3 50.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently working with a light to medium Rollo on 250gr or 255 gr Keith style bullet (from Missouri bullets the coated ones with a 9.5gr dose of unquine. Getting decent groups but will the different crimps make all that much difference

Reactions: TXplt

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
I haven’t found much difference in grouping concerning crimp. So long as I’m consistent. I’ve only tested with rifle ammunition though, not pistol.

My accuracy expectations might be lower than yours; I’ve not been terribly concerned with shooting tiny groups with .45 Colt. Light recoil loads I do usually use a lighter crimp than heavy recoil loads. Whatever I think will keep the bullets from backing out of the case under recoil in a revolver.

On rifle loads a lot of folks swear by no crimp at all for the smallest groups possible. I was not able to detect accuracy differences at 100 yards, so I do a full crimp on them all.

·
Gun Toting Boeing Driver
20,916 Posts
I'm currently working with a light to medium Rollo on 250gr or 255 gr Keith style bullet (from Missouri bullets the coated ones with a 9.5gr dose of unquine. Getting decent groups but will the different crimps make all that much difference
I use the same bullet with 8.2 grains Universal -- yours is a little more stout (I'd use exactly 8 grains but I use 8.2 in the 44 special (magnum frame) and this way I don't have to tweek it on my Dillon).

I'd first make sure you're not getting bullet pulling, etc.

I use the SDB and have a medium-heavy crimp. I like heavier crimps with heavier loads and bullets.

But if what you're doing works keep with it.

I like a heavier crimp with the lee factory crimp die in the 45-70.

·
Registered
11,311 Posts
neck tension is more important than crimp.
firm consistent even amounts of neck tension from case to case is what matters.
the crimp is mainly for retention, but it can be used to increase bullet pull [resistance moving forward] which will influence powder burn.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
your load is at the upper end in my books for the small frame guns, so a firm crimp is better to keep a bullet from sliding in or out.

I shoot 3 loads with the same bullets and use the Lee Factory Crimp which works perfectly on that cast bullet .. My cast is the 255 Kieth with 8.5 grains Unique for the traditional loads which work great in all platforms I have, the small frame Uberti, Flat Top Ruger, the Governor and the big frame Ruger. For the BIG Ruger I use the the 200 grain Berry with 12 grains Unique XXXX way to hot for the small frame guns and I get 1,150 fps in the 5.5 inch barrel. Then I load 22 or so grains of 296 behind a 250 grain Hornady XTP for 1,200 fps and under 2 inch groups at 25 yards, the last two of course only go in the big frame Bisley Ruger. My point is I use the same factory crimp die and 45 bullets going 800 fps, 1,150 fps and 1,200 fps, all are solid and not one has ever slid forward or back. I have many factory crimp dies and recommend them for everything. And your crimp is always the same which promotes not only safety but accuracy.

What barrel length are you shooting? I made a very lucky decision to buy lots of big primers, 45 bullets which I also cast, and lots of powders that work in the 45 Colt so I am shooting them a lot now when I cannot find small pistol primers. Love the big bores..

·
Registered
398 Posts
I have several .45 Colt revolvers and rifles. I shoot the same load in all whether 1905 Colt SA, Ruger Vaquero, Cimarron Pistolero, 1920 Colt New Service, H&R Hand Rifle or Rossi 1892 clone.

Accurate 45-246H cast soft of 50-50 COWW and plumber's lead with 2% tin added, 7 grains of Bullseye. Bullets as-cast and unsized at .455" diameter with Lee Liquid Alox. Approximates full charge black powder velocity 880 fps revolver and 1080 fps. rifle.

Accurate and effective.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
I have found that when shooting the 45 Colt I get better consistency with a good crimp. Less soot around the case mouth and better velocities when shooting across the chrony as well. I like shooting 8.5gr of Unique for 255gr case and for the 300gr-335gr I shoot H110/W296.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I crimp on the crimp groove.
200 grain lee rnfp
Wheel weight with around 10% hardner bar added.
It seems to make a little less deformation
I have crimped on copper plated bullets and left a line In the bullet
For just shooting in the back yard blasting soda cans at 25 feet
5.7 grains of tightgroup with the 200 grain projectile has been perfectly adequate for my needs
I have several open topped conversions
So this load is gentle on the converted pistols.
Consistent and accurate.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts