Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Spent yesterday and most of today hunting with family and friends (only came home this afternoon to hang meat and take a much needed shower and nap. God I love living here

lots of shooting and killing. beautiful day, met some folks from around the area where we live that we had never met.
I have yet to pull the trigger but watching everyone else (especially my boy and the wife and friends)was funner then doing it myself anyway though they boy needs to learn to clean his own kills, I will clean the wife's but she pays me back.
here.JPG

ggyupperss.JPG

ggyuppers.JPG

gggarn2.JPG

gggarn.JPG

ggdirk.JPG

ggbigjob.JPG

gga lot of meat.JPG

Got so many pics with my cheapo little digital cam. Sorry about the quality. Oh and the big bull wasnt killed with that .50 cal muzzle loader it was shot with a 7mm. it was back at the trucks so the .50 cal was put in for size comparison

Attachments

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Very nice. I went bow hunting for this first time this season yesterday. Been there and done that on the squirrell and dove.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Havn't gone hunting yet this season, but gun deer season starts tomorrow around here.

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
One month from yesterday I'll be in my tree stand again looking for a buck in NW MO.

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Thanks for the pictures.Years back I used to hunt in idaho quite often,usually near the Montana border.Thanks again. sam.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Sat out of this tree stand about 5 days bear hunting wih no luck. Had an opportunity one morning walking in but Yogi was walking out and I needed about 60 seconds to get in a better shooting position.

This pine martin entertained me. Has a piece of fish in his mouth.

Pic of me waiting for the kill. I though for sure I could hear one circling out behind me a few times.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
heregg.JPG

My little girl (who refused to be in the pic due to lack of hair and makeup) took her first mulie. she was so excited and even helped clean and skin. I tried to tell her the tradition was to take a bite of the still warm heart or liver but she wouldnt fall for it. Am I the only one that fell for that as a kid?

heresgg.JPG

Saw this moose today with a cow and calf by the time I got my cam out he had gone so far the cheap camara had trouble focusing in whn zoomed. I have tried for years to draw out for moose here and never do. Really disapointing as I would really like to take one someday.

wofe eye.JPG
The wife 2 days after stepping a bit too close to the scope of the 300 (and she has shot it so many times). 5 stiches later she says she is an open sights girl from here on out. Yes bambi did get away

Attachments

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Killer, that is some beautiful looking area. How long dose your season go? still trying?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Great pictures and storys from both.Thanks.I.D. they make rubber buffers that seem to work good for those scopes. sam.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Went out again yesterday with my nephew (he had to leave to go back to his home hundreds of miles away last night). Spent all day looking for a good buck for him. Finally, about 20 minutes of shooting light left he spotted this little 3 point about 200 yards from the road. He shot it and it ran about 100 yards before it piled up. took over an hour and a half to get it to the truck as it was 300 yards almost straight down. After about 45 mins of pulling it up the hill my nephew said he was so mad he had shot it. the picture is of him skinning it back at my house, he was much happier then.
joey's.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
It always makes me feel good to hear of a family that enjoys nature and the pursuit of game togather just as it was intended to be.You get to feel all of the emotions of each other togather.GOD bless you and your great family. sam.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I haven't been this yea yet . But I will share this first time story with the board. ;

I took a 13 year old out this morning on his first hunt. I have been training him to shoot and giving him pointers this year , he got the hunter safty course so I took him to try it for himself.
It was a great day for deer , Full moon last night , not to much wind at first but it did die down after daylight. I picked him up at about 6;00 am and we had a bananna for breakfast. Climbed in the two man stand about 30 to 40 min. before first light , the temp was about 52 deg.

About 5- 10 min after first light Harley punched me and said we have our first customer. A doe had slipped in behind us and never did come around for a shot. About 40 min. later I heard a noise to the right, 4 or 5 deer were trotting down wind of us , I think they smelled us as they passed . One of the group went to our right and soon realised she was not with the rest. She made a 180 and dissapeared into the brush with the rest. A while later 2 yearlings appeared and came from our left rear angeling across in front, Harley was ready but I told him no again, he seemed to be getting a little edgy probably because he didn't realise how well I know these deer. The 2 small deer picked and strutted around in front of us for a good time . All the while Harley was having fits whispering , almost begging to shoot.

The small yearling does moved on , and about 25 min later what I wanted showed up , a nice healthy 2 maby 3 year old doe and her fawn from this year. She also came up from the left rear and angled in front of us, Harley looked at me and I nodded this is thee one. He silently slipped up the old 96 sweed and took his time . The shot was right behind the forleg , it clipped the heart and busted the lungs very well. She went about 10 12 yards and collapsed against a fallen tree.

After we sat and watched her for about 2 min. we assembled the gear and went to get the deer. We then checked her out and took it to Va. to dress and clean the meat up. I loaded her in the dodge and filled the body cav. with ice ,wrapped a tarp around the deer and when we got her there . she was chillin very nice.
I feel this was a very sucessful hunt as well as a training session, I have tried to get this young man to respect firearms , as well as the game he hunts . I think he learned the lesson of patience well , after he shot the doe he said he was glad I had him wait for a bigger deer.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts