·
God, Guns, Glory
35,702 Posts
Awesome!
Thanks for posting it.

·
Premium Member
22,511 Posts
Excellent! I’ve been to the Air Force Museum a few times, though along time ago. I know it’s almost doubled in size since the. I’d like to see the Naval Aviation Museum and this new one before I depart this planet.

·
Registered
5,680 Posts
I've been to the Submarine Force Museum in Groton, CT. That's where the USS Nautilus is moored. It's been many years since I was there but I remember a lot of that. The Nautilus itself is pretty awesome - although I don't think I would adjust well to submarine life on a boat that size. Way too small.
The Polaris missile casing was pretty amazing. To think that something that small could be so deadly. Same with the cruise missile - it isn't very big at all.

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On a smaller scale these two places house a fair amount of items of interest to military history buffs.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,974 Posts
There is a "Veteran's State Campground" (something like that, been a good many years since I visited) in Georgia, not far from Plains and Andersonville. It's a nice big family campground, that includes a small military museum. Many interesting displays in the building, and many tanks and artillery guns on display outside. A couple aircraft too, as I recall a Huey chopper. Nice place to visit if you're in the area.

Reactions: ChaZam

·
Registered
10,850 Posts
I've been to the Submarine Force Museum in Groton, CT. That's where the USS Nautilus is moored. It's been many years since I was there but I remember a lot of that. The Nautilus itself is pretty awesome - although I don't think I would adjust well to submarine life on a boat that size. Way too small.
The Polaris missile casing was pretty amazing. To think that something that small could be so deadly. Same with the cruise missile - it isn't very big at all.

Took a tour through a submarine many years ago. Made me appreciate what submariners lived through! No way in hades could I have gotten used to it. About halfway thru the tour, my claustrophobia took control & I had the urge to run over some folks in front of me, to get out of there!

·
Premium Member
25,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Anyone with a link to some military museum big or small, new or old feel free to post it in this thread. Many of us members are veterans or active duty even. Many more members have family that are veterans or active duty. Chances are there's interesting museums near where many of us live and that possibly we do not even know about them. Personally I could spend many hours perusing some of these facilities.

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,974 Posts
Took a tour through a submarine many years ago. Made me appreciate what submariners lived through! No way in hades could I have gotten used to it. About halfway thru the tour, my claustrophobia took control & I had the urge to run over some folks in front of me, to get out of there!
While I was stationed on my ASW Frigate, I went to Mare Island Navy Base for tech school. Saw the USS Nautilus from a distance as she was being readied tor her trip to the East Coast. I took a tour of the WWII fleet sub USS Pampanito, on display in San Francisco. I thought my frigate was small and tight! Those WWII subs were cramped! But they were large compared to the German U-boats!

·
Premium Member
22,511 Posts
Michigan Heroes Museum is in Frankenmuth, Michigan. Frankenmuth is known for it’s Bavarian atmosphere, world famous all you can eat chicken dinners and Bronners Christmas store(it’s HUGE).
Tucked away is this great little museum in honor of Michigan heroes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts